Share some music thread

Pine Barrens Mafia

On 12/13/2021 at 7:14 AM, muppy said:

In my sons 7th grade photo he wore THE CLASH London Calling t shirt and his hair was long flipped in poofy waves almost like this lead singer. 

There was that Helmet vid up there, and their thing was prolonging the silences makes the noise noisier. Which naturally (??) led me to think of posting another track from London Calling with a similar pastiche. Odd you reference that very album a few posts on.

and thinking about the album, they did a Vince Taylor cover but my favorite version of the song was this careening, barely held-together slopfest by Rory Storm and it’s absolutely glorious.

• Thank you (+1) 1

On 12/13/2021 at 5:44 PM, TheCockSportif said:

Was a staple at The Continental back in the day.

I’m positive I’ve heard this. Holy crap. But probably not since 1979 at Home Of The Hits and only because they were letting Mark Freeland pick the tunes or something like that.

I can only think of one other track with Leatherette in the name.

• Like (+1) 1

On 11/28/2021 at 12:50 AM, SinceThe70s said:

Big fan of BOC. Secret Treaties was my fave studio album of theirs - but their first two live albums are what hooked me.  My fave song from each:

The lead guitar on this one is outstanding.

Buck Dharma is criminally underrated as a guitar god. But they did get to hang out with Patti Smyth (Allen Lanier more so than the rest) while she was in full Gilda Radner SNL mode.

• Thank you (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, muppy said:

so many excellent youtubes here,  well done mateys. More of you less of me I Love it :-)))) music is a passion of mine clearly  so I appreciate y'all!

FELIZ NAVIDAD

muppy

It kinda dawned on me this year, hearing it on Sirius "HolidaySoul"... Hey that's a Holidays Song!

Edited by ExiledInIllinois
  • Thank you (+1) 2

45 minutes ago, Ralonzo said:

Buck Dharma is criminally underrated as a guitar god. But they did get to hang out with Patti Smyth (Allen Lanier more so than the rest) while she was in full Gilda Radner SNL mode.

Never knew who that was on background vocals, nice!  

But c'mon man, it's the scandalous Patti Smith not Scandal's Patty Smyth! :lol:

On 12/18/2021 at 5:40 PM, DrW said:

One of my favorite Pink Floyd songs. Recorded in 1969, but not released until 1971 in the compilation album "Relics".

Here is some fascinating documentation of a rehearsal...

Relics was my intro to bizzarro Floyd. Big fan.

Big jaw drop and smile a few years back when my kids were watching a Marvel movie and Interstellar Overdrive came on.

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, SinceThe70s said:

Never knew who that was on background vocals, nice!  

But c'mon man, it's the scandalous Patti Smith not Scandal's Patty Smyth! :lol:

Ah that's a derp. I suppose i forgot to drop a holiday tune so, owing to the obscure ex-Beatles songs jag...

11 hours ago, T&C said:

Great example of pop/psych from the late 60's... they also did the soundtrack for Barbarella. Tinkerbell's Mind.

Interesting album title. Paired with content, no way I don’t draw the connection to a great example of late 90’s pop/psych

One other thing came to mind, from that era where some bands weren't really bands, just a producer and studio musicians. This one was Gary Usher who watched Brian Wilson in action and stole some ideas (and maybe some master tapes?). Glen Campbell and Bruce Johnston of the Beach Boys touring ensemble and LA Wrecking Crew helps with the heavy lifting.

Edited by Ralonzo
  • Like (+1) 2

On 12/22/2021 at 11:20 PM, Ralonzo said:

Interesting album title. Paired with content, no way I don’t draw the connection to a great example of late 90’s pop/psych

One other thing came to mind, from that era where some bands weren't really bands, just a producer and studio musicians. This one was Gary Usher who watched Brian Wilson in action and stole some ideas (and maybe some master tapes?). Glen Campbell and Bruce Johnston of the Beach Boys touring ensemble and LA Wrecking Crew helps with the heavy lifting.

I used to have a Sagittarius album, a double maybe... the big blue ball, the big blue marble, something like that. Sold it on eBay probably 20 years ago.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Pete said:

the first clip u posted was from one of my fav finds of the year on youtube the basement session. the song you chose is an absolute gem. I tried to listen to **** Christmas but it only played in my left headphone...? the first one played fine. *shrugs*

• Thank you (+1) 1

21 hours ago, T&C said:

I used to have a Sagittarius album, a double maybe... the big blue ball, the big blue marble, something like that. Sold it on eBay probably 20 years ago.

I mean, it's not like the Butcher Cover or something, but would fetch 20-40 bucks now.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

51 minutes ago, Ralonzo said:

I mean, it's not like the Butcher Cover or something, but would fetch 20-40 bucks now.

That is it, haven't heard it in a long time... I'll play it when I get the grill going later on.

• Like (+1) 1

On 12/21/2021 at 8:12 PM, Ralonzo said:

I’m positive I’ve heard this. Holy crap. But probably not since 1979 at Home Of The Hits and only because they were letting Mark Freeland pick the tunes or something like that.

I can only think of one other track with Leatherette in the name.

Freeland was a very interesting guy.  I have some stories, but for some other time.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, muppy said:

I have no idea why this band or these next 2 youtubes entered my mind this Christmas morning, but they did, so Im going with it 🙂

Wow... Bonnie Raitt in her late 20s... Emmylou about 30ish... Lowell George would be dead in 2 years!

On the live track ("You Don't Get Much")... Kurt Neumann (BoDeans) goes on to mention how he came up with this song... They were working w/T Bone Burnett and Kurt said how he had a crush on Emmylou Harris when he was younger... T Bone is like: "That oughtta be a song!"  So it it is!  I can see why! Hubba Hubba! 😊 😳

Here it here from the previous track on their double-live: "Joe Dirt Car"... "You Don't Get Much"... Kurt's story starts @ about 4:17/4:25 as he strums into the "Lookin'" chord...

Edited by ExiledInIllinois
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Failure reminds me a bit of the Kinks, they don't really have any clunkers but don't get the cachet they should

Which makes me think of other underrated stuff, just a piledriver riff

And these guys were just better than I expected as an opening act, so sure, have a plug.

On 12/24/2021 at 7:32 PM, muppy said:

the first clip u posted was from one of my fav finds of the year on youtube the basement session. the song you chose is an absolute gem. I tried to listen to **** Christmas but it only played in my left headphone...? the first one played fine. *shrugs*

Punk is not audiophile recording lol.  But is still sounds great on a good sound system loud!

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, muppy said:

"Midnight Rider" with Vince Gill, Gregg Allman and Zac Brown - YouTube

for leo @leh-nerd skin-erd

You had me at “Midnight…”.  Saw the Allman Bros a few times at the Saratoga Performing Arts Center—-cool venue not that far from @mead107 I’ll bet.  

Vince Gill takes me back to Pure Praire League and “Amy” every Friday and Sat night at Cassidy’s in Buffalo.  

ZBB is top 5 for my all time favorite concerts. Great energy, great sound and an awesome family time.  Also saw them at SPAC. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

You had me at “Midnight…”.  Saw the Allman Bros a few times at the Saratoga Performing Arts Center—-cool venue not that far from @mead107 I’ll bet.  

Vince Gill takes me back to Pure Praire League and “Amy” every Friday and Sat night at Cassidy’s in Buffalo.  

ZBB is top 5 for my all time favorite concerts. Great energy, great sound and an awesome family time.  Also saw them at SPAC. 

yeah u know I just had a feeling that you woulda been an allman bros fan too HA scoreboard muppy 1 right 🙂

• Awesome! (+1) 1

Time to clean out the Christmas prog leftovers. Mr Fripp, please contact your barrister:

A rarity among rarities: Chris Squire on lead vox (from the cinema sessions?)

Guess who still sounds like Jethro Tull? Would you believe Jethro Tull?

• Thank you (+1) 1