Share some music thread

Pine Barrens Mafia

On 2/15/2022 at 3:12 AM, Another Fan said:

Heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy  M!  

Have a good one 

Im bumping this song the lyrics resonate with me after Petes Ukraine post. Heck yeah Im looking for answers from the great beyond. war SUCKS #brutal......I interpret these lyrics very allegorically .......analogies, yeah my brain is weird I guess lol-m

27 minutes ago, Pete said:

Boooo war!

I always loved that DJ Shadow song.  The sample is a great song, and even more powerful IMO

dude u are a freakin musical encyclopedia lol For Real!~! always great to read u #brutal

Edited by muppy
  • Like (+1) 2

12 hours ago, DrW said:

I had posted two live concerts of Thee Oh Sees a couple of weeks ago. A while ago they changed their name to Oh Sees, and the sound turned a bit away from their earlier garage rock days. If you watch the following clip, I have one question. In the second song (with the simple title "C"), after every line that John Dwyer sings, there is the refrain "doup...doup...doup". Who is singing the "doups"? No other band member seems to have a mike for vocals and none of them seems to move their lips.

3:45 in  begins "C"  and I don't hear the doups vocal I think its a guitar riff...this band Jams I will keep my eyes open for a local show. It will be an opportunity to see some of our friends out for a night I know just the 2 to ask.......I dont get out much anymore lol ....now and then. The banter here reminds me of a bunch of nates musician friends ......very literate fun folks 🙂

m

• Thank you (+1) 1

RIP Mark Lanegan.  I always thought Screaming Trees were criminally underappreciated.  Layne, Chris, and now Mark gone- 3 of the greatest voices in rock history.  Whos greatest voice alive today?  Maynard James Keenan comes immediately to mind

• Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 1

8 hours ago, muppy said:

3:45 in  begins "C"  and I don't hear the doups vocal I think its a guitar riff...this band Jams I will keep my eyes open for a local show. It will be an opportunity to see some of our friends out for a night I know just the 2 to ask.......I dont get out much anymore lol ....now and then. The banter here reminds me of a bunch of nates musician friends ......very literate fun folks 🙂

m

According to the LyricsFreak web site, the "doups" are vocals; they transcribe them as "uh".

Oh Sees – C Lyrics

[Verse 1]
First you can see above the burning boat (Uh, uh, uh)
I squint my eyes but I still don't know (Uh, uh, uh)
I've been smelling fear on you (Uh, uh, uh)
Burning buildings, morning dew (Uh, uh, uh)

• Thank you (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, DrW said:

According to the LyricsFreak web site, the "doups" are vocals; they transcribe them as "uh".

Oh Sees – C Lyrics

[Verse 1]
First you can see above the burning boat (Uh, uh, uh)
I squint my eyes but I still don't know (Uh, uh, uh)
I've been smelling fear on you (Uh, uh, uh)
Burning buildings, morning dew (Uh, uh, uh)

I finally heard them hahaa I didn't before. All I can think is some sort of backing track but that is indeed a mystery!  It's definitely not a guitar I was wrong 🙂..I found this studio version and you hear the doups Very clearly here....Im thinking backing track FTW

Edited by muppy
  • Thank you (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, DrW said:

The pre-Buckingham/Nicks Fleetwood Mac versions were so much better. Here are even earlier examples of the Fleetwood Mac with Peter Green...

(Youtube does not allow embedding of this video.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T8v_OC3zWCM

I have seen this, excellent stuff. I liked the middle Mac quite a bit too. The first part of the one I posted is maybe the only live stuff from Bob Weston on the internet... If you can find more I'd sure like to see it.

Future Games is an excellent lp imo... I used to have the release with the yellow cover instead of the traditional light green one. Mystery to Me is great as well.

Perfect/McVie was a great move for the band at the time... fresh out of Chicken Shack, the girl had some blues in her for sure which was the root of The Mac. She drew the cover for Kiln House. Once the bleating lamb joined the group I was done... the fake gypsy crap turned me off immediately.

Dave Walker... Savoy Brown,  sang on Penguin and maybe something else.. I'm not sure.

No idea if you've ever heard this but this is as fine a rock blues album as anyone's, I keep a copy :

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

15 hours ago, DrW said:

To promote the Austin, TX scene (both our kids are UT)...

And as I have a special place in my heart for everything that does not have the standard 4/4 time signature...

Good stuff.  Reminds me a bit of these guys from Rochester, NY..

• Like (+1) 1

On 2/26/2022 at 7:58 AM, muppy said:

Im bumping this song the lyrics resonate with me after Petes Ukraine post. Heck yeah Im looking for answers from the great beyond. war SUCKS #brutal......I interpret these lyrics very allegorically .......analogies, yeah my brain is weird I guess lol-m

dude u are a freakin musical encyclopedia lol For Real!~! always great to read u #brutal

Well for good measure

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Another Fan said:

Well for good measure

music soothes me........Its a distraction at worst and sheer bliss at its best.

this next post has nothing to do with REM but it came to mind in the lyrical thread today ...one of the most heartfelt songs ever.........

Lea Salonga - On My Own (Les Misérables) [720p] - YouTube

Edited by muppy

2 hours ago, T&C said:

My favorite JA song (well, a tie with "White Rabbit"). I always liked them when they were a bit more experimental. Grace on vocals, Jorma on guitar, and Nicky Hopkins on piano (reminiscent of his piano parts in "She's a rainbow" by the Rolling Stones) are the highlights.

Edited by DrW
  • Like (+1) 2

30 minutes ago, DrW said:

My favorite JA song (well, a tie with "White Rabbit"). I always liked them when they were a bit more experimental. Grace on vocals, Jorma on guitar, and Nicky Hopkins on piano (reminiscent of his piano parts in "She's a rainbow" by the Rolling Stones) are the highlights.

That whole album is great... most of the Airplane albums are. Takes off is to me just ok but it has its moments. Always wondered why a lot of people never mention the Long John Silver or the Bark lp's... They are pretty good to these ears. Post Airplane the only one I can listen to is Red Octopus, after that its pop garbage.

• Like (+1) 1

22 hours ago, T&C said:

That whole album is great... most of the Airplane albums are. Takes off is to me just ok but it has its moments. Always wondered why a lot of people never mention the Long John Silver or the Bark lp's... They are pretty good to these ears. Post Airplane the only one I can listen to is Red Octopus, after that its pop garbage.

What about the other half of JA after the split, Hot Tuna? First a traditional...

and then something from their heavier phase...

Edited by DrW
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, DrW said:

What about the other half of JA after the split, Hot Tuna? First a traditional...

and then something from their heavier phase...

Good stuff. I saw electric Hot Tuna once, at Jannus Landing in St. Petersburg... have an autographed cocktail napkin from Jack Cassady. Me and my friend just saw him sitting at the bar by himself and had a beer with him, very mellow and cool dude.

I always considered this a bridge performance as in a taste of what was to come after JA.

• Like (+1) 1

On 2/26/2022 at 2:37 PM, T&C said:

Dave Walker... Savoy Brown,  sang on Penguin and maybe something else.. I'm not sure

Dave was the lead singer of Black Sabbath for a largely unrecorded period from late 77 into 78 when Ozzy kinda quit, before he got fired.

imho Ozzy was better for the material

• Awesome! (+1) 2

On 2/26/2022 at 3:09 PM, muppy said:

LMAO ****SCREAMS****************!~!~!~!~!!!!!!!!! lol lookie lookie here comes mickie LOL

digging the balalaika Brian Jones is playing. Very cool for the era.

In the interest of Keeping up with the Joneses, have a slice of this Jones doing one of his songs of the era

• Like (+1) 1
  • Shocked 1

13 hours ago, Ralonzo said:

digging the balalaika Brian Jones is playing. Very cool for the era.

In the interest of Keeping up with the Joneses, have a slice of this Jones doing one of his songs of the era

amazing...loved it 🙂 First song he sang as david bowie? wow 🙂 awesome find. it's giving me a 'the who" vibe, mostly the drumming I think

10 hours ago, Buftex said:

the first stanza put me in tears holy crap how timely and perfect. TYVM for posting-m

Edited by muppy
  • Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

In honor of "March" and all things kinda Irish and Spring!

this song swings I find my hips swaying in my seat as Im listening 🙂

I cant speak for everyone but these times we are living in are stressing me out. Music is a great diversion I really hope this thread keeps legs especially now.-m

• Like (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, muppy said:

amazing...loved it 🙂 First song he sang as david bowie? wow 🙂 awesome find. it's giving me a 'the who" vibe, mostly the drumming I think

the first stanza put me in tears holy crap how timely and perfect. TYVM for posting-m

I love Nikki's whistle solo! :)

15 hours ago, Ralonzo said:

Dave was the lead singer of Black Sabbath for a largely unrecorded period from late 77 into 78 when Ozzy kinda quit, before he got fired.

imho Ozzy was better for the material

Wow, had no idea. Yeah, his voice is better suited to the blues for sure. After Chris Youlden he's my favorite Savoy Brown singer... have an autographed album of Raw Sienna signed by him and Kim Simmonds at a concert in Tampa, early 90's.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, muppy said:

this song swings I find my hips swaying in my seat as Im listening 🙂

I cant speak for everyone but these times we are living in are stressing me out. Music is a great diversion I really hope this thread keeps legs especially now.-m

Mary Jane Lamond on vocals w/Ashley... Actually a traditional Celtic song.  Here she is with Ashley's cousin Wendy MacIsaac on fiddle:

Little bit about Ashley:

"His cousins Alexis MacIsaac, Wendy MacIsaac and Natalie MacMaster are also touring fiddlers. He is also a distant cousin of the White Stripes guitarist and lead vocalist Jack White. The two met and MacIsaac opened for the White Stripes concert in Glace Bay in 2007."

• Thank you (+1) 1