Manuel was not given the chance to grow

Sums it up nicely. Dude should make a nice living being a backup. And we suck at developing qbs. We didn't ever develop Jim Kelly.

Who is the last qb the bills draft and turned into a good starter?

Is it that or the fact that OBD is just bad at evaluating QB talent in the draft for far to long. QBs they have drafted moved on and never did much in the NFL after. They were not very good to begin with. Maybe Peterman changes that seeing how he is a product of the new regime.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is it that or the fact that OBD is just bad at evaluating QB talent in the draft for far to long. QBs they have drafted moved on and never did much in the NFL after. They were not very good to begin with. Maybe Peterman changes that seeing how he is a product of the new regime.

It's a fair question. But I'd argue that NE has drafted some bad qbs - Mallet, Hoyer, and have done a decent job maximizing them.

I don't know if Losman or Manuel would ever be starters if NE drafted them. I don't have a doubt they would be better overall qbs though.

It's a fair question. But I'd argue that NE has drafted some bad qbs - Mallet, Hoyer, and have done a decent job maximizing them.

I don't know if Losman or Manuel would ever be starters if NE drafted them. I don't have a doubt they would be better overall qbs though.

Was Joe Ferguson drafted by the Bills? I don't remember. he was decent for them

Belichek and his staff put players in a position to succeed. They aren't scheme dependent. Their game plan is situational and depends on their opponent. They shut out a playoff team and division winner with their 3rd string QB last year. With their second string QB in the lineup they go 2-1. Brady goes down and Matt f@#$ing Cassell leads them to an 11-5 record. New England could probably go 8-8 with Hackenburg under center.

Maybe he wasn't great, and never will be any good, but I don't think he had a great shot. I think Marrone pulling him after that texans game, in favor of Orton pretty much ended any chance he had of progressing.

So you don't think that Marrone, who saw EJ everyday in practice couldn't simply have decided that EJ wasn't gonna cut it?

He wasn't given a fair shot. He also sucked. Both things are true. Big deal - almost all players have to fight through adversity at some point in their careers. Dak Prescott will get his lumps, it just didn't happen in his rookie year.

EJ can't play QB in the NFL. For me, it wasn't the Houston game, it was the Jaguars game. I knew by the end of that game that EJ's career was over.

I enjoyed dealing with EJ and found him to be a standup guy.

Though he was dealt a tough break by being thrust into action when Kolb went down with season-ending concussion, this narrative of him not being given time to develop is also a little convenient.

He was inconsistent at best, and had difficulty with accuracy and decision-making from the get-go. That did not improve over time.

Ultimately, it's the Bills fault for taking a gamble on a player in a very weak QB draft class, a mistake which they compounded by trading away another first-round pick to select Watkins.

On the bright side, this past draft was handled proficiently in which gambles were minimized and assets used to address long- and short-term needs.

jw

He wasn't given a fair shot. He also sucked. Both things are true. Big deal - almost all players have to fight through adversity at some point in their careers. Dak Prescott will get his lumps, it just didn't happen in his rookie year.

EJ can't play QB in the NFL. For me, it wasn't the Houston game, it was the Jaguars game. I knew by the end of that game that EJ's career was over.

How can his career be over if he's still collecting NFL checks?

@LeviDamien

EJ Manuel getting some reps with first team offense now. #Raiders

giphy.gif

Carr gets hurt, EJ steps in, the Raiders win the SB, New Era field disappears into the earth.

My philosophy is that Marrone absolutely only cared about himself that last year. He wasn't into developing the future of the Bills, he was more concerned with his own future as he knew the opt-out clause in his contract could be played since Ralph died.

Marrone overplayed his hand.

Anyway, after that all bets were off as Taylor came in and outperformed Manuel.

Sums it up nicely. Dude should make a nice living being a backup. And we suck at developing qbs. We didn't ever develop Jim Kelly.

Who is the last qb the bills draft and turned into a good starter?

...have to agree Bisquit....EJ had a less than desirable start, perhaps "baptism by fire"....but he did not have the ability to process the entire field in <5 seconds (speed of game at NFL level dictates it) nor did he have any confidence.......OBD has been beyond woeful since the Kelly era in QB's, probably the #1 most neglected position on the field.....inexplicable and reprehensible...hell even the QB guru Wacky Sam Wyche couldn't make it work......