Favorite cereal growing up/favorite cereal now

From a starving world perspective, let them eat cake! We can take the "great leap forward" and blow us all back to the stone age. Everybody put their gardening pants on, we are eating what we till!

With that, I think GMO advancements can do a lot more to help the third world countries.

Oh boy...I could make an entire thread about this. The starving poor people argument is so last decade, ask yourself when was the last time you ate feed corn (you haven't), a sugar beet (real starvation repellant!), or straight cooking oil.

GM tech has it's place, but it's a temporary fix being marketed as a cure all. Ask jboyst or anyone involved in ag: he probably uses Ivermec, which in itself is a terrific anti parasite but it isn't a replacement for good pasture management and proper breeding/culling and manure cycling. It's just a piece of the puzzle. Dow/Syngenta et al would have you believe there's a binary one problem/one solution system for ag production issues, and anyone who's involved in growing things knows immediately that kind of thinking is rarely the case. I mean, I use spinosad as it's a great option for lepidoptera, but you've got to mix in a Bt cycle or your populations build up resistance, and still you have to rotate susceptible crops like brassicas with the lettuce and ideally a season of cover crop in between. That's without getting into the whole idea of IP over a sustenance providing life form, which is in itself problematic if you're really concerned with the idea of world hunger.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know three friends of ours-- all women/moms in their late 30s who suddenly came down with these same issues around the same time. All went gluten free. One improved completely. One is up and down. And the other basically is in chronic pain. But I think they all say that going gluten free has helped to a certain extent.

I don't know what I would do without gluten. I need my pizza and breads!!

The kids and I still eat gluten from time to time, and we usually get a pizza on Friday nights. My wife has become increasingly willing/able to modify her meal or just eat something else. The real challenge is when we go out for dinner. We went out to a nice French restaurant for our anniversary a couple weeks ago, and there was like 4 things on the menu she could eat and everything needed to be modified.

It is quite perplexing. A year ago, we were consuming a whole lot of gluten in my household. Loads of pasta and bread and everyone was doing just fine. Within a matter of weeks, my wife was up literally almost all night, every night with "gastro issues." She lost an unhealthy amount of weight, and she also began developing these dry, patchy skin irritations. One was on the side of her head and made her hair fall out. She was (not shockingly) developing depressive and anxious symptoms. She must have seen 9 or 10 different doctors, was in therapy, and was finally diagnosed with Celiac. We immediately cut all gluten from our diet, and eventually had to cut out dairy as well for some reason.

I never would say anything to her, but I was skeptical about the whole thing because she was seeing a couple homeopathic doctors. Within a couple weeks of the dietary changes, however, her health started to improve significantly and her hair grew right back. Weird stuff.

WOW! Not quite as extreme, but my wife has similar issues. Gluten and dairy are now off the table, literally. I love her dearly, but sometimes I enjoy her frequent work travels so I can eat some real food without all the restrictions. Having said that, I can't tell you how happy I am she has gotten some relief. I was iffy on the people leading her down this path, but the results are real.

Count Chocula (from the 1980's, today's version is crap)

I don't eat cereal now because I became lactose intolerant in my mid 30's.

Yeah a number of the cereals changed from real puffed product to some kind of extruded goo altering the consistency greatly. Count Chocula, Boo Berry, Trix, Coco Puffs........those are like eating a bowl full of nerds candy now. Gross.

Probably liked Honeycomb most as a kid.

Now Honey Bunches of Oats.