Cousins reportedly won't be re-signing in Washington

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

funny, people said the same thing about Drew Brees when he was leaving San Diego...career high at the time of 27 TD and 3,500 yds, 30-28 in 4 seasons.

all he's done since then is throw 54,000 yds, 385 TD in 11 seasons...which is an average of 4,885 yds 35 TD per year. While winning a Superbowl.

in 11 years in NO, he has:

led the NFL in yards 7 times

led the NFL in TD 4 times

led the NFL in completions 5 times

You're comparing Cousins to Brees? o.O

I didn't think Cousins will ever be Drew Brees. But Brees wasn't Brees until NO.

Correct. Brees showed promise before he signed with NO, but the Chargers didn't really think he'd be that good (neither did many teams I guess). He was coming off a decent season and finally seemed to turn the corner after years of mediocrity. But, he had an injury history and SD was hell-bent on anointing Rivers their franchise QB. They should've dumped Rivers for a kings ransom, but hindsight is 20/20. I think many teams will remember the Brees story. Barring injury, I won't be surprised if he becomes the highest paid QB next year.

The way Washington issued that statement listing the contract offer like that, putting him on blast and all, you can bet his Franchise Tag that Cousins will be in a new uni this time next year. If you ask me, this was kinda unprofessional of the Skins organization. But hey, this is Washington we are talking about with Bruce Allen and Dan Snyder running the circus.

Cousins is an idiot for turning that deal down IMO and I think the Redskins dodged a bullet.

1. Cousins is a good QB. But that contract was for an Elite QB and he has not yet established himself as that kind of QB. To be Elite you need to be able to carry your team...take an average team and contend for a SB and few QB's can do that. Yet they want to make him 2nd highest paid player in NFL history? Sorry, not worth it IMO.

2. Washington has a completely different WR group this year, and I don't think its nearly as good as what he had. If Cousins play drops off a bit this year, he won't get that contract offer again. Plus the teams in his division all got better this year, and I would argue that the Skins are going to finish no better than 3rd in that division and could finish last depending on how Philly does with their sophomore QB and bolstered RB's and WR's.

If his stats drop off even 10% this year, he won't get an offer for a payday like that next year. He is still a debated QB on how good he is or isn't and has yet to entrench himself as a guy worth that contract. Teams continue to overpay QB's with question marks still (see: Luck, Kap, Tannehill, etc contracts) and saddle the team significantly when it comes to building a SB caliber roster around them. And if those QB's are not good enough to carry average teams (and few QB's are) to SB contending, they will struggle to be relevant due to all the money tied up in them. Luck has done squat since he got his, Kap isn't even in the NFL anymore, and Tannehill hasn't remotely earned they money he's getting paid. Now they want to make Cousins the 2nd highest paid player in history???? LMAO.

Say what you want, but the Bills have been VERY VERY SMART with Tyrod and his contract. Team friendly deals to not over commit while they are still figuring him out on whether he's a stop gap or a long term player. Say what you want about Whaley, but he outperformed just about every team in the NFL on how he handled our QB contracts here. Now we are in a great position to see if Taylor can take that step forward while also not being financial screwed if he doesn't and armed with 2 firsts next year to find a replacement if he doesn't step up.

Cousins will play wherever offers him the best deal. Washington or otherwise.

Washington wasn't getting any discount signing him now instead of next offseason.

Cousins will be overpaid no matter what.

Edited by jeremy2020

The way Washington issued that statement listing the contract offer like that, putting him on blast and all, you can bet his Franchise Tag that Cousins will be in a new uni this time next year. If you ask me, this was kinda unprofessional of the Skins organization. But hey, this is Washington we are talking about with Bruce Allen and Dan Snyder running the circus.

Yeah, then Bruce Allen publicly stating that Cousins and his agent were not even willing to exchange any contract offers, I think it's pretty safe to say that Cousins is as good as gone next season (if they don't give him the exclusive tag again).

I think he's been as good as gone for over a year though, IMO. I don't know exatly why, but there is definitely something preventing them from getting a deal done. I read a rumor a while back that he was unwilling to stay as long as as Allen was running things. I don't know how much truth there is to it but I sure don't find it too hard to believe.

Somehow, Bruce Allen has played this situation right and still got it horrifically and horrendously wrong.

You don't negotiate in public and you certainly don't try to undress the guy in public like you're a 12 year old girl that just got dumped. There's a pretty obvious reason why Cousins doesn't want to sign in Washington and it's you. Maybe take a look in the mirror first, Bruce.

Edited by Blokestradamus

Cousins will play wherever offers him the best deal. Washington or otherwise.

Washington wasn't getting any discount signing him now instead of next offseason.

Cousins will be overpaid no matter what.

im not even sure what "overpaid" means anymore for a decent starting QB. Matt Stafford is 5-46 vs teams over .500 in his career and he's about to sign not his first but his second huge extension, and set the market while he's at it.

Somehow, Bruce Allen has played this situation right and still got it horrifically and horrendously wrong.

You don't negotiate in public and you certainly don't try to undress the guy in public like you're a 12 year old girl that just got dumped. There's a pretty obvious reason why Cousins doesn't want to sign in Washington and it's you. Maybe take a look in the mirror first, Bruce.

That's not going to happen as long as Dan Snyder is the owner because the front office will always be a reflection of him. And that's who he is as a person.

You're comparing Cousins to Brees? o.O

you realize Brees in NO is a different animal than Brees in SD, right?

In SD he was seen as a good QB with average stats and potential to be better....same as Cousins is now.

In fact, Cousins has thrown for over 1,000 more yards per year than Brees did in SD. And for more TD.

2. Washington has a completely different WR group this year, and I don't think its nearly as good as what he had. If Cousins play drops off a bit this year, he won't get that contract offer again. Plus the teams in his division all got better this year, and I would argue that the Skins are going to finish no better than 3rd in that division and could finish last depending on how Philly does with their sophomore QB and bolstered RB's and WR's.

Think this is a really good point. Garcon, Jackson, Crowder and Reed was about as talented a bunch of pass catchers as there was in the league last season. They made okay throws good throws. Doctson will be under pressure to step up in year 2 hopefully injury free.

Cousins is an idiot for turning that deal down IMO and I think the Redskins dodged a bullet.

Your kidding right??? Cousins is a genius. He made about $20 million last season and $24 million this year. That's $44 million for 2 years guaranteed, And next season he will hit pay dirt with the team of his choice.

The redskins absolutely blew this contract situation for 2 years. Here is a great article on the leverage Cousins now has and how the redskins messed up. Below is also the 3 options that Cousins will have next year - and you call him an idiot??

https://www.si.com/nfl/2017/07/17/kirk-cousins-washignton-redskins

As for the financial end of this, waiting always made sense for Cousins. For him to do a long-term deal with Washington, he’d have to walk away from three attractive conclusions:

• A third straight franchise tag, which would give him $58.42 million between 2017 and ’18, and free agency at age 30 in ’19.

• A transition tag next year, which would set his floor at $52.68 million for ’17 and ’18, and give him a chance to test the market next March (with the Redskins retaining matching rights) at age 29.

• $23.94 million this year and free agency next year.

Think this is a really good point. Garcon, Jackson, Crowder and Reed was about as talented a bunch of pass catchers as there was in the league last season. They made okay throws good throws. Doctson will be under pressure to step up in year 2 hopefully injury free.

I think he will miss Jackson, but they added Prior and Crowder will see an expanded role now that Jackson is gone. In many ways Crowder is a lot like Jackson. He is a guy who can take the lid off of the defense. Doctson is a wildcard here and will be leaned on in his 2nd year. He has all the talent , he just needs to be healthy. Either way they still have Jordan Reed, Niles Paul, and Vernon Davis to mix and match in two TE sets as well. Cousins still has weapons so I don't really expect that much of a drop off, if any. He is still going to see a big payday next year in FA and I would bet the house that Washington has already been crossed off of his list.

Not a well run organization with Allen at the helm.

@RapSheet

Interesting to hear how many, many #Redskins players are privately supporting QB Kirk Cousins and his financial decisions after yesterday.

Said it before and I'll say it again, from all accounts I have heard Allen is a huge douche nozzle. I have a friend who is a reporter for CBS locally in Richmond and has met/talked to numerous players. Richmond is where they hold their TC. Not too many have much good to say about Bruce Allen.

My Bold Prediction

He Will Not Be Coming To Buffalo

Not a well run organization with Allen at the helm.

@RapSheet

Interesting to hear how many, many #Redskins players are privately supporting QB Kirk Cousins and his financial decisions after yesterday.

26CB you need to get it correct. In Washington DC the FO always calls Kirk Kurt. It's almost a running gag with the local news