I'm anxious to see this d-line get going.

I can realistically see a top 10 or so defense this year. McD can unleash the hounds, which should help with our young secondary. The big question will be the lbers. Tho im a big Reggie fan, we've not seen him play a single down yet in the nfl. Brown can be servicable and Zo/Hodges should be ok. Problem is, seems like most of them are best suited as mlb. We still never got an actual wlb who can cover consistently. So whoever gets the mike, the others by default will play the will...and im not a fan of starting players by default. However, I do think McD can move alot of players around at different times/situations to alleviate some of those perceived weaknesses. All in all, i expect a solid year. Perhaps not great, but 11 players on the field at the same time, all knowing their assignments, should improve the D by leaps n bounds

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't watch every game last year, but the ones I did watch, the D was caught out of position and thinking way to much causing them to be slower to react to the ball, there seemed to be hesitation at times. That could be blamed on Rex's coaching.

If they can just flow to the ball and not over think their reactions to situations . I think there will be an improvement from last year. But I'm an optimist every year until proven wrong.

We know who 99 and 55 are.

In my view, Kyle continuing to evade Father Time and Shaq living up to expectations are the make or break questions..

Shaq looked incredibly slow off the ball last year in limited time. We will all have to wait and see on this guy. Hughes has to stop the ridiculous penalties and Marcel I have a feeling is going to have a monster year. Kyle will be Kyle because he is the consummate professional- I do think father tme catches him later in the season.

As always, I appreciate your link, 26. But I found it ironic that one of the gifs they used to illustrate Dareus' dominance was a play where he lined up in the 0 technique with 2 gap responsibility.

Indeed ironic since Dareus did not like that scheme at all.

Where I disagree with folks here is I don't see how simply installing a new scheme, new coaching, and a new secondary automatically creates a top 10 or top 12 D, the media, right or wrong see's it the complete opposite

Now I'm not saying folks here are necessarily wrong but just pointing out in the last month Buffalo media, PFF, lots of other sources, have written pieces about issues for the Bills secondary in 2017, for example PFF gave us a rating in the high 20's

That does not suggest we will see anything close to a top 10 overall D, and those concerns seem to be ignored in message board forums

Yes, I'm glad Ryan is gone, and I think our D future beyond 2017 is bright, but until we get more experienced premium talent on the back end, or they gel, or scheme and match override what is talent on paper, and what is a lack of NFL starting experience, this could more a transitional year in our secondary, they may limit the unit's overall rating and success, and our ability to win games, after-all you play in nickel or dime, like 65% of the time

jc

I just hope dareus gets some motivation this year. The dude is a monster even when unmotivated.... I just wanna see what he can do we he cares. Also, curious if Lorenzo will play on the line at all in some packages, think this could be very beneficial

i think the wildcard in all this is mike waufle, the new D-Line coach. the guy coached up arguably the best line in football over the last 3 or 4 years for the rams... watching re-runs of hard knocks on nfl network recently.... this dude about had me jumping off my couch and trying to spear my 15 month old daughter through her high chair!

if this dude can light a similar fire under the guys up front, namely dareus, LOOK OUT!

I admire your attitude !

I get the feeling this line is going to tear it up. And the secondary is going to reap the rewards.

More concerned about depth.

Let see how Sean deals with adversity when injuries come knockin'

But to your point. on paper this line looks fearsome

That is my number one concern as well. We have plenty DT depth, and I can see A. Washington kicking out to DE on running downs to set the edge. The real question is, who backs up Hughes or Shaq in case of injury or fatigue? Maybe Lorax drops down, or they switch to a 3 DT / 1 DE scheme. IDK, but I would like to see us pick up a situational (proven / vet) passrusher. Maybe Trent Cole or Paul Kruger if they're still available.

Shaq looked incredibly slow off the ball last year in limited time. We will all have to wait and see on this guy. Hughes has to stop the ridiculous penalties and Marcel I have a feeling is going to have a monster year. Kyle will be Kyle because he is the consummate professional- I do think father tme catches him later in the season.

I think missing camp definitely hurt him. Not to mention he had a shoulder injury, so he couldnt lift for several months. He didn't seem to have the bend or strength to push the tackles and set the edge, so i wonder if that was part of it.

Where I disagree with folks here is I don't see how simply installing a new scheme, new coaching, and a new secondary automatically creates a top 10 or top 12 D, the media, right or wrong see's it the complete opposite

Now I'm not saying folks here are necessarily wrong but just pointing out in the last month Buffalo media, PFF, lots of other sources, have written pieces about issues for the Bills secondary in 2017, for example PFF gave us a rating in the high 20's

That does not suggest we will see anything close to a top 10 overall D, and those concerns seem to be ignored in message board forums

Yes, I'm glad Ryan is gone, and I think our D future beyond 2017 is bright, but until we get more experienced premium talent on the back end, or they gel, or scheme and match override what is talent on paper, and what is a lack of NFL starting experience, this could more a transitional year in our secondary, they may limit the unit's overall rating and success, and our ability to win games, after-all you play in nickel or dime, like 65% of the time

jc

I think a lot of people think (myself included) that it doesnt "turn a defense" into anything.....that the defense was actually held back from its true potential of what it SHOULD have been all along.

You dont go from a top 5 dominant defense into the 20's with what was not a complete overhaul of players just like that......the big contributer to that fall must be something else.

Most think it was the coaching and scheme.

Re: Williams and Lawson, a big part of the line's production, imho, will be how well Worthy and Washington perform spelling them off.

havent heard a thing about Washington this offseason. Don't know if that's good or bad?

...McD may be a rookie HC, but he tutored defensively under the legendary Jim Johnson, Eagles' DC who died well before his time at 68 from cancer....Rivera, although 2nd string, was on the '85 Bears SB team in the famed 46.....he acquitted himself well as DC with with Chargers, enough to earn Panthers' HC job where McD also worked.....NO doubt that this defense returns to the pre Wrecks dominance, a dismantling that never should have occurred, but he managed to peddle the same snake oil as his blowhard old man....Leslie is the perfect vet compliment.....Dennison was a good choice as OC and knows what he has to do as far as an offensive game plan designed for TT......sure the pre-season strength of schedule stats look tough but it would be interesting to see a 2 or 3 year comparison of strength of schedule stats before the season versus AFTER the season......injuries, cuts, firings, etc take their toll and there's no way to predict those variables.........

Very well stated! :thumbsup:

I actually believe they will be better then the d-line we had the first couple of years when Mario was here. Players are now comfortable with what they're doing and Shaq will bring more energy and effort than Mario did. Just would like to know how is the depth looking ir is gonna look. This defense have the potential to be very solid which could help the offense a lot. Can't wait to see things get going. My prediction is double digit sacks for all 4.

I'm toward the PP end of the Negative Nancy - Positive Penny spectrum.

But, man, you're way past me! All four linemen with double-digit sacks? I'm not seeing it. I'll guess one.

But I really hope you're right!

I think missing camp definitely hurt him. Not to mention he had a shoulder injury, so he couldnt lift for several months. He didn't seem to have the bend or strength to push the tackles and set the edge, so i wonder if that was part of it.

I am sure he was behind in every aspect. Mental reps only take a player so far.

He started out very slow. But seemed to become more aware and self assured each game. IMHO

I think a lot of people think (myself included) that it doesnt "turn a defense" into anything.....that the defense was actually held back from its true potential of what it SHOULD have been all along.

You dont go from a top 5 dominant defense into the 20's with what was not a complete overhaul of players just like that......the big contributer to that fall must be something else.

Most think it was the coaching and scheme.

I fall into that bucket.

Here's what I worry about...

Shaq - young, unproven

Kyle - old, past his prime, reduced stamina (?)

Marcel - undisciplined

Hughes - small for a conventional 4-3 hand-in-the-dirt DE

All you Positive Pennys may be right. A new coach and new scheme might do wonders for this unit. They might excel. But too many years of disappointed optimism has tainted my generally hopeful nature.

I don't count my chickens until they're hatched anymore and I won't count my sacks until QBs collapse.

jc

I agree with this.

Regarding the defensive line, I agree that I think they'll perform much better than they did under Ryan, but there may be some issues gelling earlier on in the season. The main factor is Dareus potentially playing a full season, barring injury. Lawson will be better utilized, but will may have some learning curve to deal with. Williams and Hughes will do just fine in the defense, and should look more like they did a couple years ago on the field and on the stat sheet.

The big question will be the performance of the LBs, IMO, since that where there seems to be the most uncertainty. Hopefully Ragland becomes the type of player we were seeing glimpses of in camp last year, and we don't know who will play the majority of snaps at MLB. Maybe Alexander doesn't fit as well in this scheme as he did under Rex?????

Secondary is probably a bit weak as well on paper, which is why the D-line needs to have a good year. Hopefully the front 7 has enough of an impact in games to mask whatever deficiencies our DBs may have. If they can, I think a top 10 defense, or close to it, is likely.

With that being said, we'll just have to wait and see how it goes. Hopefully they can avoid the injury bug, and consistently stop the run as wilcoam alluded to.