McDermott has really impressed me. We might have struck gold

Monday through Saturday ain't Sunday. Let's see how he does under actual game pressure and, more importantly, whether this team continues to make mental mistakes at critical junctures. I realize this is one off season and it's a process but some things will be evident very early on.

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I also have high hopes for our new HC.....I'll wait before anointing him, but I truly believe he'll get us to the playoffs by next year...I look at this season as a long audition where him and his staff will weed out the problems and put his stamp on the team he wants...by 2018, we should be a real contender.....

...true as far as the "wait and see" as well as being a rookie HC, but what on his resume' is the proverbial "red flag"?....years in Philly under legendary defensive master Johnson who sadly died well before his time from cancer at 68 and working with former Bear Rivera in Carolina are pretty big plusses IMO....sure they're both defensive but McD has demonstrated (at least on paper) that he is the overall game day manager for all 3 phases.....Dennison's role will be huge.........

Monday through Saturday ain't Sunday. Let's see how he does under actual game pressure and, more importantly, whether this team continues to make mental mistakes at critical junctures. I realize this is one off season and it's a process but some things will be evident very early on.

To be fair, that is one of the biggest knocks on his mentor Andy Reid. Reid does phenomenal work in preparation week to week. There are people in Philly who still rave about how well orchestrated the offense would be on the first few drives, and that he was a master of scripting plays. His downfall has always been what happens after those plays and if they are no longer working. Then his time management skills are blown open.

There are lot of doom sayers on the board, and it's not that I don't respect their opinion; it's just that I don't agree. Look at it this way: last year we had the 10th best scoring offense, and considering that the receiver position, with Watkins' out for half the year and sub par for the other 8; Woods missing substantial time, leaving Goodwin as the healthy guy; well, the trio of a healthy Watkins with the additions of Zay Jones, and Andre Holmes just have to be superior. When you add in things like a more seasoned Tyrod, an improved O line, and in all probability better coaching, well, IMO signs look pretty good for a very good offense.

On the much criticized D, the switch to a 4-3 is a winner! The line has a good chance to be one of the tops in the league. LB's have new blood with high potential, and the DB's are stronger in 3 of the 4 spots.

I know, lots of guys belittle the posts of an admitted optimist, but I believe that with good health, my projections above have an excellent chance at fruition. :thumbsup:

I think it's a lot less "doomsayers" and much more "let's see what he actually does", especially among those of us who've been fans for decades and have seen this hype for new coaches over and over again. McDermott comes into a much better situation, talent-wise, than any of his predecessors with the Bills in this century except for Ryan. If he's a decent HC, he'll do more with it than Ryan.

There's no reason for this to be an either/or, black/white thing. I suspect most on the board like what he has done so far in terms of his attention to detail, organization, etc., but want to see how he performs as a game coach before coming to any firm conclusions.

Normally I am not negative, but I will be the 1st to say, last year I thought they would be 1-15 because of Ryan. I was wrong. They were better. So could the new HC get us to 10-6? maybe....

My heart has been ripped out every year for the last 2 decades since Levy. I was positive each new coach was the way to the Super Bowl, then 1/2 way through the first season I realized it was fools gold. Am I ready to expose my heart again?

This is like realizing your last girlfriend was bad for you, just like the last 7 of them ... You pick yourself up again and start dating. Maybe you will find true love this time. The 1st kiss seems

promising... maybe this one will not make a massive bonfire out of all of your furniture on the front lawn :censored: or cheat on you :censored::censored: .... just maybe......

Lets Go Buffalo.

Edited by Iraq Vet

...sure there have been a multitude of "wet dreams" post Polian and the sandbox is littered with 13-3, 12-4, 11-5, 10-6 prognostications, playoffs, SB etc, all which have led to 17 year drought... and certainly every change so far is "on paper"...but a new Administration with Beane at the helm (did he HAVE to come here?), his multiple staff signings of former VP's and Personnel Directors (did THEY have to some here?) and a coaching staff led by rook McD (Johnson, Reid, Rivera pedigree) along with OC Dennison and DC Fraser (branded by some as a DB Coach retread) sure as hell looks like quite an assembly of young gun 40 somethings hell bent on winning.....sure 17 years of fruition equates to "mediocrity breeding contempt", but find another era post Polian that has the promise of the current revamped gang.........after 55 years of following this club, the old guy needs to cling to SOMETHING....my time is short(many here hope so too).... :thumbsup:

These comments are the same things that were said when Marrone was hired.

All the off season hires are getting praise around the league. they are all respected. been a long time since OBD could say that.

I think HC Sean could be a long term keeper too but I readily admit that opinion is based on pure off season emotion

However I differ in the opinion that as a GM he has made moves that will result in more wins in 2017

Yes, I like the switch back to a 4-3 but scheme alone will not add to our win total until such time as we get better talent

I don't like our D FA haul and I think we lost more on D in FA than we gained

Worse we will not be compensated in 2018 for the losses

I am skeptical that the backup DB on a below mediocre team vs the pass is an upgrade at starting safety

So I don't like our safety situation nor the starting back 7 on our D

Hope I'm wrong, no question improving our D will lead to increased wins, but I don't see the upgrade everybody is hyping

Our O is pretty much intact from last year

I do see an upgrade at FB and the O-Line and I like our draft picks

Though by the old standard chart we didn't get enough value back in either of the first two trades

And we are short proven quality NFL #2 and #3 WR's though for now we look healthier all around

That will surely change

I'm just not seeing how any of the off season moves gets us to 10 wins +

NFL pundits and experts agree, most put us at 6-7 wins

PFF did project we would finish 7th in the AFC at 8-8

However some say we will be battling the Jets and others for 1st overall pick next year

Not saying any of these folks are correct, I hope they are all wrong and we go 9-7

I'm just saying very few see our off season moves as one's propelling us to the playoffs or playoff contention

I get longterm the most impactful move is a new GM and a new HC so yes most of us can;t help be bullish on the future

Just saying those moves aside, we still need upgrades in talent b4 I am equally bullish on a more positive W-L projection

Like Shaw and Scott, I say show me the wins, on the field, during the season

B4 anyone can claim we had a decent off season and we made all the right moves, and mgmt knows what they are doing

jc

I wouldn't say the same and even if similar does that mean McD's career in buffalo is on the same path?

please elaborate how the two are one of the same?

...ONLY similarity is that they are/were both rookie HC's in Buffalo....McD has far more coaching experience at NFL level in Philly & Carolina.....Doug was Saints OC but the world knows Sean called the plays....they may be similar in their approach to a regimented and disciplined culture......McD has a FAR more conducive and supporting environment.....Doug's "General Patton" style was met with resistance from Brandon & Whaley which the players also resisted(BTW, will be interesting to see how the Marrone/da Fuhrer Coughlin marriage works out)....all changed now.....and McD has a much better/experienced staff than Hackett, etc despite some pundits here labeling Fraser as a glorified DB Coach.....Beane and his staff (includes several former VP's and Personnel Directors)> Whaley and his staff......the top to bottom football ORGANIZATION is far more conducive to winning than ANYTHING since Polian era....so stay tuned................

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy