Mayweather against McGregor

CommonCents

Gonna be one of two things: 12 rounds by split decision, or a controversial early end, either way a rematch will be scheduled immediately.

WHAT? Think of all the additional taxes that will cause!

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am watching the press tour from Toronto and I have to say these guys are UNBELIEVABLE at promotion. I knew that going in but they have WWE style promotional skills. Every time the microphone goes on their income multiplies.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

I am watching the press tour from Toronto and I have to say these guys are UNBELIEVABLE at promotion. I knew that going in but they have WWE style promotional skills. Every time the microphone goes on their income multiplies.

And their "schtick" has already become incredibly dull and annoying, IMO.

I agree. They can't even keep a straight face while performing their act, it's embarrassing.

We are doing our FF draft that night so I'm sure we will end up ordering it. More for entertainment than sport.

Edited by Commonsense

McGregor will not be anywhere close to a split decision.

He's going to be dominated....either knocked out or lopsided unanimous decision.

Theh work so well on stage together I wouldn't be surprised if something happened that would peak viewership for a rematch.

Mayweather isn't going to let his legacy get tarnished due to him not being able to dominate a guy who has never boxed competively in his life.

Legacy? The guy owes the IRS 22 million and is a felon, you find it far fetched to think he might make a money grab at the end of his career. He don't have to take an L to do it.

Theh work so well on stage together I wouldn't be surprised if something happened that would peak viewership for a rematch.

Nothing would surprise me. I get the idea that this thing is scripted. If ever there was a "fight" to script, this is it.

Legacy? The guy owes the IRS 22 million and is a felon, you find it far fetched to think he might make a money grab at the end of his career. He don't have to take an L to do it.

Yeah his legacy. He's 49-0 and has beaten every top boxer in multiple weight classes. He's one of the greatest ever. He's not going to struggle against a non-boxer.

McGregor is a great fighter but he's not a boxer.

He's going to make $100 million off this fight alone. That $22 million is nothing.

Yeah his legacy. He's 49-0 and has beaten every top boxer in multiple weight classes. He's one of the greatest ever. He's not going to struggle against a non-boxer.

McGregor is a great fighter but he's not a boxer.

He's going to make $100 million off this fight alone. That $22 million is nothing.

22 million is nothing? That money represents a serious problem. It's being estimated that Floyd will make closer to the 250 that he had for that Manny P. fight. According to Forbes if he gets a similar payout his career earnings will be over a billion dollars. Yet, he is behind on taxes?

If he was concerned about his legacy he wouldn't be jumping around on stage yapping at an MMA fighter who he lured into the ring with the promise of an unprecedented purse. "Dance for me boy" it's all so rehearsed and they are fine making fools out of themselves for this payday, those same two men wouldn't dare set up an equally lucrative rematch? I just don't see how that makes sense.

It's a money grab, why wouldn't they do it again if they can?

22 million is nothing? That money represents a serious problem. It's being estimated that Floyd will make closer to the 250 that he had for that Manny P. fight. According to Forbes if he gets a similar payout his career earnings will be over a billion dollars. Yet, he is behind on taxes?

If he was concerned about his legacy he wouldn't be jumping around on stage yapping at an MMA fighter who he lured into the ring with the promise of an unprecedented purse. "Dance for me boy" it's all so rehearsed and they are fine making fools out of themselves for this payday, those same two men wouldn't dare set up an equally lucrative rematch? I just don't see how that makes sense.

Exactly, it looks like Floyd needs the money. He might state he doesn't, but, take into account that he is willing to un-retire to fight an MMA fighter in a boxing match.

If anything that tarnishes his legacy. I will not be watching the fight but I hope by some miracle McGregor knocks him the $&*^ out.

A easy fight for hundred+ million and to get to 50-0 to tie Marciano? You wouldn't do that even if you were rich?

Someone who is an extremely hard worker like Mayweather, who has beaten all The Who's who of boxing (Manny, Cotto, Canelo, Marquez, Mosley, De La Hoya, Maidana, Judah etc....) has pride and cares about his legacy.

Yes it's about money but it's pride too. If he didn't care much about pride, he wouldn't have immediately rematched Maidana who pushed him to an MD in the first bout. He needed to show the world he wasn't done.

He would have made it more interesting with the fights with Canelo and Manny. Just imagine the money in a rematch or even a trilogy.

Mayweather is not going to walk out of that ring embarrassed because he couldn't dominate a C class level boxer. It would be like Usain Bolt barely beat beating a long distance runner who called him out in the 100mm sprint.

Mayweather also talk trash like crazy, not just in this case with McGregor. He came out in a sambrarro when he fought De La Hoya and brought a chicken to the press conference.

He had the Burger King King and Justin Beiber walk out with him before the Manny fight.

McGregor is purely doing it for the money because he makes a few million for a UFC fight. This fight will pay him 20 times more.

Edited by Teeflebees

A easy fight for hundred+ million and to get to 50-0 to tie Marciano? You wouldn't do that even if you were rich?

Someone who is an extremely hard worker like Mayweather, who has beaten all The Who's who of boxing (Manny, Cotto, Canelo, Marquez, Mosley, De La Hoya, Maidana, Judah etc....) has pride and cares about his legacy.

Yes it's about money but it's pride too. If he didn't care much about pride, he wouldn't have immediately rematched Maidana who pushed him to an MD in the first bout. He needed to show the world he wasn't done.

He would have made it more interesting with the fights with Canelo and Manny. Just imagine the money in a rematch or even a trilogy.

Mayweather is not going to walk out of that ring embarrassed because he couldn't dominate a C class level boxer. It would be like Usain Bolt barely beat beating a long distance runner who called him out in the 100mm sprint.

Mayweather also talk trash like crazy, not just in this case with McGregor. He came out in a sambrarro when he fought De La Hoya and brought a chicken to the press conference.

He had the Burger King King and Justin Beiber walk out with him before the Manny fight.

McGregor is purely doing it for the money because he makes a few million for a UFC fight. This fight will pay him 20 times more.

All those are good reasons that the fight could be on the up an up but none of those reasons discount the fact that it's a desperate money grab and it could "intentionally" get strange.

You gotta think the money is a problem for Floyd. Owing the IRS is bad for his money brand right? Talks about how he had 100 mil cash in an account and all sorts of stuff. Would he take a dive to get a rematch? The go out on top?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nothing would surprise me. I get the idea that this thing is scripted. If ever there was a "fight" to script, this is it.

This is exactly what made me stop watching/following boxing. I don't consider this a boxing match, per se. And I do plan on purchasing it for entertainment value. But just when I was close to letting myself get back into boxing, this incredibly scripted crap needs to happen. It actually bums me out.

Ha ha, 1 day later was a disaster. They certainly over extended themselves with 4 of these.

Give me 3-1 on controversial decision, then.

Done

The offer still stands to book any McGregor bet. He has no chance (and that's being nice).

Edited by Kirby Jackson

This is exactly what made me stop watching/following boxing. I don't consider this a boxing match, per se. And I do plan on purchasing it for entertainment value. But just when I was close to letting myself get back into boxing, this incredibly scripted crap needs to happen. It actually bums me out.

I do agree with this too Gug. I've always been a big Pacquiao fan and I vowed to quit boxing after the Bradley decision. The Horn decision was equally ridiculous despite Pac-Man being a shell of himself. I've completely lost trust in the sport.

With that being said I don't consider this a fight. It's a promotional tour and a money grab. Mayweather cares too much about boxing to let McGregor compete. If this guy could walk in and compete with one of the best boxers ever it will be the final nail in boxing's coffin. This fight ends whenever Mayweather decides. He may drag him a couple of rounds or he might just TKO him about 30 seconds in. If I had to guess he will dance around for a few rounds before landing about a 30 punch combo before the ref steps in. Floyd knocking him out in 30 seconds isn't great for boxing either. There will be a lot of people that say "I spent $100 for this?" That's why expectations need to be tempered. McGregor has ZERO chance and anyone expecting differently will be sorely disappointed.