Nate Peterman - weak arm? I don't think so!

There are a lot of comments about Peterman having a noodle arm - accurate, yes, but weak. The consensus is that with less than stellar arm strength he can only progress so far; like back up QB or maybe a borderline starter, with the club necessarily always on the lookout for a better guy who can really get the ball out the way it should be - with plenty of zip.

I have watched a ton of Peterman highlights and have always wondered what those naysayers were talking about. In the highlights that I've watched I have seen a lot of 35-45 yarders with what seemed to me to have a good deal of power behind them, and one that was exactly 50 yards, right on the money. I was trying to find that one so I could post it here for all the doubters, but instead found this one. Go to Nate Peterman 2015 Highlights - YouTube and you'll see at the 12:05 mark, a 53 yard toss, from the opponent 45 to his 2, right on the money for a TD, with a 1 step-up delivery.

Have a look and then tell me that he'll be limited by his weak arm. You might check out the entire tape to see a lot of excellent throws.

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

His arm is nothing special. It's probably average at best. His success will be determined by his ability to read defenses and accurately get the ball out on time (like pretty much every good QB). I find arm strength a bit overrated anyway.

He has functional arm strength. The comparison I have of Peterman is to Chad Pennington before the multiple shoulder surgeries. When he came out of Marshall he was incredibly accurate, but didn't have the strongest of arms. He was successful due to the fact he was smart, could read the defense, then make an on time and accurate throw. He had enough arm strength to be a successful QB, but he was no Ben Ro or anything. The surgeries sapped what arm strength he had therefore shortening his career, but he was on his way to being a star beforehand.

He has functional arm strength. The comparison I have of Peterman is to Chad Pennington before the multiple shoulder surgeries. When he came out of Marshall he was incredibly accurate, but didn't have the strongest of arms. He was successful due to the fact he was smart, could read the defense, then make an on time and accurate throw. He had enough arm strength to be a successful QB, but he was no Ben Ro or anything. The surgeries sapped what arm strength he had therefore shortening his career, but he was on his way to being a star beforehand.

...which is about all you can expect physically.....the BIGGER component is reads, progressions & processing the field in time allotted.....physical deficiencies are trainable corrections IMO...STILL NOT convinced you can retrain gray matter to speed up processing of the entire field....Peterman seems to possess the mental traits from what I've read.....and everythng points to better skill set than Pennington......but then again, he is NOT Mahomes with our debutante chiming in shortly much to my chagrin (COUGH).... ..

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy

who?

who should look?

I wont be looking for it. but hey, new kid on the block and as always you'll have those that believe he'll be the next savior, LOL

DBFS'73,

it speaks more to my confidence in Tyrod than it does about Nathan being the next saviour.

Edited by Foxx

This topic has been beat to death. Didn't need a new thread.

It's not about how far he can throw, it's about velocity. He has a weakish arm, but as others have said, it should be fine if he's smart enough.

It'll be a couple years before he's ready to start, if ever.

While Deuce doesn't exactly have a RAG arm, Cardale has the most powerful arm on the roster hands-down... Now if we could just pour some focus into that power.

....as did Jeff George...now what?.......brains versus brawn wins every time..................

There are a lot of comments about Peterman having a noodle arm - accurate, yes, but weak. The consensus is that with less than stellar arm strength he can only progress so far; like back up QB or maybe a borderline starter, with the club necessarily always on the lookout for a better guy who can really get the ball out the way it should be - with plenty of zip.

I have watched a ton of Peterman highlights and have always wondered what those naysayers were talking about. In the highlights that I've watched I have seen a lot of 35-45 yarders with what seemed to me to have a good deal of power behind them, and one that was exactly 50 yards, right on the money. I was trying to find that one so I could post it here for all the doubters, but instead found this one. Go to Nate Peterman 2015 Highlights - YouTube and you'll see at the 12:05 mark, a 53 yard toss, from the opponent 45 to his 2, right on the money for a TD, with a 1 step-up delivery.

Have a look and then tell me that he'll be limited by his weak arm. You might check out the entire tape to see a lot of excellent throws.

It has nothing to do with how far you can throw the ball.

When they talk about arm strength they are typically talking about the zip on the ball when you have to throw a deep out from the other side of the field for example. You can't float the ball in there or put a bunch of air under it like you can on a longer throw, you have to throw it hard on a line to the spot to make sure the ball gets there before the defender can make a play on it.

That's arm strength in a nut shell.

Does he have to make a perfect read and throw it at the perfect time to get a completion on those throws, or can he maybe come off a read and see it at the last second and just gun it out there and still get the ball where it needs to be?

Edited by matter2003

It's not about how far he can throw, it's about velocity. He has a weakish arm, but as others have said, it should be fine if he's smart enough.

Weird, another "this didn't need its own thread" post. This has easily become more annoying than any amount of threads being created.

Two choices for the logical mind, a) don't read or post in it. b) start your own thread. This should be easy for the king of knowing what deserves its own thread.

Since I'm going to assume you're more of a complainer and less of a fresh takes type of guy I'm going to assume you're not going to utilize a or b.

Just continue downing others ideas without having any of your own. There's a term for that.

I also find it funny, you shoot the thread down and then proceed to give your opinion on the topic. Hypocrite?

Edited by likei've

...which is about all you can expect physically.....the BIGGER component is reads, progressions & processing the field in time allotted.....physical deficiencies are trainable corrections IMO...STILL NOT convinced you can retrain gray matter to speed up processing of the entire field....Peterman seems to possess the mental traits from what I've read.....and everythng points to better skill set than Pennington......but then again, he is NOT Mahomes with our debutante chiming in shortly much to my chagrin (COUGH).... ..

If he has a better skill set than Pennington, how do you explain the huge gap in draft position? Not meant confrontationally but curious your reasoning

....as did Jeff George...now what?.......brains versus brawn wins every time..................

Sounds nice but I could process the field perfectly and my arm would ruin me. Theres a balance to be had and benchmarks that need to be cleared on each side. Being exceptional at one can buy a little flexibility in the other though.

DBFS'73,

it speaks more to my confidence in Tyrod than it does about Nathan being the next saviour.

It really speaks more to your poor ability to judge a QB!! There's ZERO chance of that happening. Peterman is a smart, back-up type. His ceiling is probably below where Tyrod is right now. That doesn't mean he's useless but he will never be better than a game managing QB. Edited by Kirby Jackson

If he has a better skill set than Pennington, how do you explain the huge gap in draft position? Not meant confrontationally but curious your reasoning

Sounds nice but I could process the field perfectly and my arm would ruin me. Theres a balance to be had and benchmarks that need to be cleared on each side. Being exceptional at one can buy a little flexibility in the other though.

...NO debate...it is all about balance....I'd take gray matter smarts and an average arm any day of the week......a blind cannon yields nothing............

Weird, another "this didn't need its own thread" post. This has easily become more annoying than any amount of threads being created.

Two choices for the logical mind, a) don't read or post in it. b) start your own thread. This should be easy for the king of knowing what deserves its own thread.

Since I'm going to assume you're more of a complainer and less of a fresh takes type of guy I'm going to assume you're not going to utilize a or b.

Just continue downing others ideas without having any of your own. There's a term for that.

I also find it funny, you shoot the thread down and then proceed to give your opinion on the topic. Hypocrite?

Why not answer so that this misinformation isn't perpetuated? Strength is about velocity.

Your post isn't logical at all. Act like you've been there before.

Highly doubtful unless Tyrod gets injured.

The backup QB comp is gonna be interesting. Peterman seems like a fit, but if things click for Cardale, his talent is undeniable. He could be the next man up.

"Poor build, very skinny and narrow, lacks mobility and the ability to avoid the rush, lacks a really strong arm." Who is this?

Guest K-GunJimKelly12

"Poor build, very skinny and narrow, lacks mobility and the ability to avoid the rush, lacks a really strong arm." Who is this?

Brady obviously.