Cardale Jones is ranked 15th best backup QB in the NFL!!

True, but this was written by Neil Greenberg of the Washington Post, which has an excellent reputation for thorough analysis. I added a paragraph explaining the analysis to my initial post:

"Here’s a ranking of the league’s backups from best to worst, based on their chances of producing an above-average level of adjusted net yards per pass in a game if called into service during the 2017 season. Rookies were given an average adjusted net yards per pass figure based on historical averages of first-year NFL passers, modified for expected playing time and opportunity."

And yet Fitz and Geno both have actual career ANY/A's above what Cardale did in his final quarter in 2016.

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought about starting a separate thread but don't want to flood the board. How would you handicap the #2 QB race? My thinking is that if a young guy emerges, Yates is gone. I'd say that Peterman is at 50%, Cardale at 35% and Yates at 15%

Edited by Kirby Jackson

I thought about starting a separate thread but don't want to flood the board. How would you handicap the #2 QB race? My thinking is that if a young guy emerges, Yates is gone. I'd say that Peterman is at 50%, Cardale at 35% and Yates at 15%

I think both of the young guys have to step up for Yates to be gone. I think Dennison will want him here unless he is convinced the others can better operate the offense.

A tough day for T.J. Yates, QB stats and 10 things we learned at Buffalo Bills OTAs: http://trib.al/hnTIqhN #BillsMafia

I rue the day they invented those ridiculous URL shorteners.

First, you have no idea what site you're actually being directed to - could be malwareupyobutt.com for all you know.

Second, most workplaces don't allow them to be followed, for reason #1 above.

Useless.

I think both of the young guys have to step up for Yates to be gone. I think Dennison will want him here unless he is convinced the others can better operate the offense.

Shades of A-Train vs. Fred Jackson. Anybody with a pulse could see Fred was the superior runner, but the coach had a soft spot for A-Train due to past history working together.

I just don't think that they will use the roster spot when there are a bunch of "Yates'" out on the steet. I think 2 QBs is much more likely than Yates as the number 2. Maybe I'm wrong but if those guys are even close to him, he's gone IMO.

I just don't think that they will use the roster spot when there are a bunch of "Yates'" out on the steet. I think 2 QBs is much more likely than Yates as the number 2. Maybe I'm wrong but if those guys are even close to him, he's gone IMO.

Has to be the case. At this point Yates might be a guy we can cut and re-sign in an emergency.

He took a broken down Matt Schaub to Baltimore as a backup because he could run his system..... Dennison likes that vet guy who knows the scheme. I can see McDermott and Beane being where you are Kirby, very easily, the question is whether Dennison has sufficient influence to change that. I very strongly suspect he will want Yates on the 53.

He took a broken down Matt Schaub to Baltimore as a backup because he could run his system..... Dennison likes that vet guy who knows the scheme. I can see McDermott and Beane being where you are Kirby, very easily, the question is whether Dennison has sufficient influence to change that. I very strongly suspect he will want Yates on the 53.

Right or wrong, the Bills management/coaching staff is going into 2017 aiming to compete for the playoffs. That tells me there's no way TJ Yates gets cut unless Peterman goes all Dak Prescott/Russell Wilson on us in the preseason. And there's no way Peterman gets cut since he's McD's guy. So ... barring injury or a truly awesome camp/preseason, I'm not seeing much of a future for Cardale on this team. Now, if they really were punting on 2017 and trying to build a true contender by 2019-20, then they'd keep both Peterman and Cardale. But again, that doesn't look like what they're thinking ... yet. Come November, perspectives may change ...