Cardale Jones is ranked 15th best backup QB in the NFL!!

I'll take it! 15th is not bad!

For full article, see:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/fancy-stats/wp/2017/06/08/power-ranking-the-nfls-backup-qbs-moore-garoppolo-lead-but-kaepernick-could-be-there-too/?utm_term=.32eaf75b5c94

Power ranking the NFL’s backup QBs: Moore, Garoppolo lead, but Kaepernick could be there too

Here’s a ranking of the league’s backups from best to worst, based on their chances of producing an above-average level of adjusted net yards per pass in a game if called into service during the 2017 season. Rookies were given an average adjusted net yards per pass figure based on historical averages of first-year NFL passers, modified for expected playing time and opportunity.

Solid options

1. Matt Moore, Miami Dolphins, 54 percent chance at being better than an average starter

2. Jimmy Garoppolo, New England Patriots, 51 percent

Useful stand-ins

3. Nick Foles, Philadelphia Eagles, 46 percent

4. Colt McCoy, Washington Redskins, 44 percent

5. Brandon Weeden, Houston Texans, 43 percent

6. Kellen Clemens, San Diego Chargers, 43 percent

7. Chase Daniel, New Orleans Saints, 43 percent

8. A.J. McCarron, Cincinnati Bengals, 42 percent

9. Chad Henne, Jacksonville Jaguars, 42 percent

10. Kellen Moore, Dallas Cowboys, 42 percent

Not-ready-for prime-time players

11. Trevone Boykin, Seattle Seahawks, 42 percent

12. Matt Schaub, Atlanta Falcons, 42 percent

13. Derek Anderson, Carolina Panthers, 42 percent

14. Connor Cook, Oakland Raiders, 41 percent

15. Cardale Jones, Buffalo Bills, 41 percent

16. Geno Smith, New York Giants, 41 percent

17. Landry Jones, Pittsburgh Steelers, 41 percent

18. Mitch Trubisky, Chicago Bears, 41 percent

19. Patrick Mahomes II, Kansas City Chiefs, 39 percent

Emergencies only

20. Sean Mannion, Los Angeles Rams, 39 percent

21. Ryan Mallett, Baltimore Ravens, 39 percent

22. Brett Hundley, Green Bay Packers, 38 percent

23. Paxton Lynch, Denver Broncos, 38 percent

24. Scott Tolzien, Indianapolis Colts, 37 percent

25. Kevin Hogan, Cleveland Browns, 36 percent

26. Matt Cassel, Tennessee Titans, 35 percent

Clipboard holders

27. Matt Barkley, San Francisco 49ers, 31 percent

28. Drew Stanton, Arizona Cardinals, 30 percent

29. Ryan Fitzpatrick, Tampa Bay Buccaneers, 30 percent

30. Jake Rudock, Detroit Lions, 29 percent

31. Case Keenum, Minnesota Vikings, 27 percent

32. Bryce Petty, New York Jets, 27 percent

Cardale is going to get cut in training camp

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree. McD is a no nonsense coach. He doesn't seem like the type of coach who is going to keep a guy for his "potential". He isn't going to be impressed when Cardale hits reporters with errant throws again this training camp.

He might get cut.....he is going to have to show that he made a big jump from year 1 to year 2.

That's one guy talking about "could be's." I "could" go as high as the first round if I declared tomorrow. Johnny Manziel "could be" the #1 overall pick over Clowney. He wasn't though...

The bottom line is that 32 GM's decided he wasn't worth more than a late 4th. And 3 of those same GM's thought the 2017 class were worth 3 top 12 picks.

You're welcome to die on the hill that the next Brian Brohm or whoever is a better prospect than someone who went in the top 10. I know that Bills QB's taken after round 3 are basically the next Brady until they retire at 25.

You're probably right. I'm sure that the rumblings that you were hearing leading up to the 2015 draft (not 2016) were stronger than this league exec.

You're probably right. I'm sure that the rumblings that you were hearing leading up to the 2015 draft (not 2016) were stronger than this league exec.

If Cardale wasn't recruited for Urban's system and was such a clear great NFL prospect and never lost a game, why did going back to school drop him 4 rounds?

If Cardale and/or his agent thought going in the top ten was likely or worth risking, why did he return to college? We all know he didn't go to OSU to play school.

Any GM who would take a QB who started 3 games in the top ten would've joined Doug Whaley in the bread line. Cardale went back for a year and STILL wasn't ready for the pros. Anyone arguing he was a better prospect than a guy like Mahomes with almost 3 years of film probably roots for the Buckeyes.

Edited by jmc12290

If Cardale wasn't recruited for Urban's system and was such a clear great NFL prospect and never lost a game, why did going back to school drop him 4 rounds?

If Cardale and/or his agent thought going in the top ten was likely or worth risking, why did he return to college? We all know he didn't go to OSU to play school.

Any GM who would take a QB who started 3 games in the top ten would've joined Doug Whaley in the bread line. Cardale went back for a year and STILL wasn't ready for the pros. Anyone arguing he was a better prospect than a guy like Mahomes with almost 3 years of film probably roots for the Buckeyes.

The same reason that Matt Barkley, Jevan Snead, Brad Kaaya, etc... fell. It happens all of the time. He certainly should have come out. I'm on record as saying he should have come out after the championship and not worked out at all. He would have went quite a bit higher if he did that. If he would have done that and been drafted in the 1st would he be a better player?

He went back because he loved it there. Cardale was the BMOC. A lot of guys stay in school and it's rarely a good decision for QBs. There are lots of examples (some mentioned above) of QBs projected to go early that fell off after going back to school. Than their are other guys that come from off the radar and go high (Bortles, Trubisky, etc...).

I thought that my allegiance to the Buckeyes was pretty clear? I have no idea about the person(s) that put this list together.

With that being said I am not sure where I said he's a better prospect than those guys? I'm not sure where I said anything other than his talent is on par? I'm not sure where I said anything other than his talent isn't worth kicking to the curb after 15 minutes of game action? I'm of the belief that you are better off seeing if the raw prospect develops than saving a roster spot for TJ Yates. Regardless of how Cardale (or Peterman) ends up they have more of a chance to be a good QB than Yates. If you believe differently you are entitled to your opinion.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

The same reason that Matt Barkley, Jevan Snead, Brad Kaaya, etc... fell. It happens all of the time. He certainly should have come out. I'm on record as saying he should have come out after the championship and not worked out at all. He would have went quite a bit higher if he did that. If he would have done that and been drafted in the 1st would he be a better player?

He went back because he loved it there. Cardale was the BMOC. A lot of guys stay in school and it's rarely a good decision for QBs. There are lots of examples (some mentioned above) of QBs projected to go early that fell off after going back to school. Than their are other guys that come from off the radar and go high (Bortles, Trubisky, etc...).

I thought that my allegiance to the Buckeyes was pretty clear? I have no idea about the person(s) that put this list together.

With that being said I am not sure where I said he's a better prospect than those guys? I'm not sure where I said anything other than his talent is on par? I'm not sure where I said anything other than his talent isn't worth kicking to the curb after 15 minutes of game action? I'm of the belief that you are better off seeing if the raw prospect develops than saving a roster spot for TJ Yates. Regardless of how Cardale (or Peterman) ends up they have more of a chance to be a good QB than Yates. If you believe differently you are entitled to your opinion.

No, he would've been worse.

I'm asking specifically about Cardale. Not Matt Barkley. Why did Cardale Jones fall?

I assumed you saying his talent on par meant he was as good a prospect as Mahomes. MY contention is that he clearly was not as good of a prospect.

I'm asking specifically about Cardale. Not Matt Barkley. Why did Cardale Jones fall?

I assumed you saying his talent on par meant he was as good a prospect as Mahomes. MY contention is that he clearly was not as good of a prospect.

Then we are talking about different things. He has the ability to do things other QBs can't. Is he likely to get there? Of course not, but even if it's a 5% chance you are better off trying to develop him than wasting the spot on Yates when you can just pick him back up off the street.

In terms of why he fell he was a square peg in a round hole. He was running the zone read offense but without the big play receiver (Devin Smith). In the run to the title the pounded the ball and burned teams up top (sounds familiar).

When I'm looking at investing an early pick (or 2) on a QB I want a guy that's most likely to succeed. I wouldn't reach for a guy that "could" get there because they set you back at least 2 years. Next year's class is where I'd chase a guy if Tyrod doesn't take the step. There are some guys there that have long resumes and pro skill sets. The Bills are in position to do that. In the meantime, unless they are miles behind Yates, my roster would have Tyrod and 1 or 2 of the young guys. If they can't be as good as Yates now, I don't like their chances.

Good post. But let's be honest, Cardale was a result of the prisoner of the moment, overreact to everything that happens right away. He had 3 good games for a stacked college team.

The true test for qbs is how they adjust after teams have a few games of tape on them. I call it the Mike Vick effect. Vick could be dominate for a half of season. Then teams get tape on him and he becomes a below average qb. Jones had a whole offseason to prepare as a starter at OSU and struggled against MAC teams.

I still am in favor of the pick because in the 4th or later, I love the upside type players. But Jones looks like a fringe NFL qb. But he certainly has all the physical tools to surprise. And I will take him all day over TJ Yates.

...agree......what SHOULD have kept Cardale from falling?......his prolific collegiate career?.......size and arm strength are the sole criteria?........and what has OSU/Urban Renewal turned out as far as NFL starting QB's?....look at Sanchez.....starts ONE year, comes out after Jr year and goes #5....now he's racking up frequent flier miles...and the USC "mystique" for QB's includes Barkley, Rob Johnson, John David's Booty, Puff Daddy Maronovich, Palmer (probably the best of the bunch), Rodney Peete, Sean Salisbury, etc.....just a wild hunch and blind guess, but I think Peterman's skill set far exceeds Cardale's despite going a round later..........

Good post. But let's be honest, Cardale was a result of the prisoner of the moment, overreact to everything that happens right away. He had 3 good games for a stacked college team.

The true test for qbs is how they adjust after teams have a few games of tape on them. I call it the Mike Vick effect. Vick could be dominate for a half of season. Then teams get tape on him and he becomes a below average qb. Jones had a whole offseason to prepare as a starter at OSU and struggled against MAC teams.

I still am in favor of the pick because in the 4th or later, I love the upside type players. But Jones looks like a fringe NFL qb. But he certainly has all the physical tools to surprise. And I will take him all day over TJ Yates.

That's kind of why I advocated he should have played those games and never worked out. Some NFL team would have jumped before the end of the 2nd at the latest. It would have been a really interesting case study. Guys started kind of doing it this year with McCaffrey and someone else (forget who) declining workouts. I'd have taken that t the extreme if I were Cardale.

It will be a very interesting TC and preseason to see how Cardale and Peterman progress. Hope they show enough to release Yates.

Would be risky to put Cardale or Peterman on PS.

I don't think that either will make it back to the PS. Someone will stash them on the back of their roster and take a year to see for themselves.

The first two paragraphs of your post is the most accurate Cardale description I've seen here. There are a lot of OSU fans here as well. I think they hold a spot in the heart for Cardale that hurts their reasoning ability.

I don't totally agree with the third paragraph. I'd prefer Yates over Cardale if Cardale doesn't improve greatly this preseason. Last summer he was hitting reporters standing forty yards out of bounds. Yates is certainly nothing special, but I think Cardale has the potential to be a special kind of awful in the NFL.

It will be a very interesting TC and preseason to see how Cardale and Peterman progress. Hope they show enough to release Yates.

Would be risky to put Cardale or Peterman on PS.

I don't think there is any way Peterman is going to the PS. I get the feeling that McD is going to fall in the love with the guy.

That's kind of why I advocated he should have played those games and never worked out. Some NFL team would have jumped before the end of the 2nd at the latest. It would have been a really interesting case study. Guys started kind of doing it this year with McCaffrey and someone else (forget who) declining workouts. I'd have taken that t the extreme if I were Cardale.

I don't think that either will make it back to the PS. Someone will stash them on the back of their roster and take a year to see for themselves.

I do wonder if the NFL is getting away from those big, high potential flawed qb prospects. Give the failures of guys like EJ (I still believe in you!), Ryan Mallett (sorry Bill, he sucks), Zack Mettenberger (my god it was sad how many people here liked him), & our new TE Logan Thomas and the use of the spread.

Either way, Jones is in a very low pressure situation. Imagine if he went in the first or second round. He would be getting murdered on this board.

Then we are talking about different things. He has the ability to do things other QBs can't. Is he likely to get there? Of course not, but even if it's a 5% chance you are better off trying to develop him than wasting the spot on Yates when you can just pick him back up off the street.

In terms of why he fell he was a square peg in a round hole. He was running the zone read offense but without the big play receiver (Devin Smith). In the run to the title the pounded the ball and burned teams up top (sounds familiar).

When I'm looking at investing an early pick (or 2) on a QB I want a guy that's most likely to succeed. I wouldn't reach for a guy that "could" get there because they set you back at least 2 years. Next year's class is where I'd chase a guy if Tyrod doesn't take the step. There are some guys there that have long resumes and pro skill sets. The Bills are in position to do that. In the meantime, unless they are miles behind Yates, my roster would have Tyrod and 1 or 2 of the young guys. If they can't be as good as Yates now, I don't like their chances.

Absolutely agreed. The only place a guy like Yates fits in today's NFL is behind an entrenched young guy like Carr, where he has something to offer in the mentorship/film room role. He's not good enough to offer any real competition and not young enough to earn development time.

I do wonder if the NFL is getting away from those big, high potential flawed qb prospects. Give the failures of guys like EJ (I still believe in you!), Ryan Mallett (sorry Bill, he sucks), Zack Mettenberger (my god it was sad how many people here liked him), & our new TE Logan Thomas and the use of the spread.

Either way, Jones is in a very low pressure situation. Imagine if he went in the first or second round. He would be getting murdered on this board.

He would deserve it.

They just can't help themselves. Everyone thinks that they are smartest guy in the room. They'll overlook the flaws because they can "coach them up."

Absolutely agreed. The only place a guy like Yates fits in today's NFL is behind an entrenched young guy like Carr, where he has something to offer in the mentorship/film room role. He's not good enough to offer any real competition and not young enough to earn development time.

He would deserve it.

That's exactly how I see it as well.

The first two paragraphs of your post is the most accurate Cardale description I've seen here. There are a lot of OSU fans here as well. I think they hold a spot in the heart for Cardale that hurts their reasoning ability.

I don't totally agree with the third paragraph. I'd prefer Yates over Cardale if Cardale doesn't improve greatly this preseason. Last summer he was hitting reporters standing forty yards out of bounds. Yates is certainly nothing special, but I think Cardale has the potential to be a special kind of awful in the NFL.

I don't think there is any way Peterman is going to the PS. I get the feeling that McD is going to fall in the love with the guy.

It's Amazing how many people here thought we should keep Fitz after leading the league in interceptions, and being an all-around CRAP QB for three years... Sure, I like what Peterman brings, but he never even came close to winning a national championship in college.. AND, he's a kid who got ran out of town at his first D1 stop...I try to forget that it was by Josh Dobbs.. -A college QB who, IMO, couldn't hold Cardale's jock...

Admit it. -Since 1999, both Bills fans AND staff have been TERRIBLE at assessing QB talent...

The ONLY thing that MIGHT save McDoomed is a departure from the status quo "he gives us the best chance to win" bullcrap.... Cardale's arm talent gives him as good a chance as any QB we've got, -but he has to make the most of his shot.

It's Amazing how many people here thought we should keep Fitz after leading the league in interceptions, and being an all-around CRAP QB for three years... Sure, I like what Peterman brings, but he never even came close to winning a national championship in college.. AND, he's a kid who got ran out of town at his first D1 stop...I try to forget that it was by Josh Dobbs.. -A college QB who, IMO, couldn't hold Cardale's jock...

Admit it. -Since 1999, both Bills fans AND staff have been TERRIBLE at assessing QB talent...

The ONLY thing that MIGHT save McDoomed is a departure from the status quo "he gives us the best chance to win" bullcrap.... Cardale's arm talent gives him as good a chance as any QB we've got, -but he has to make the most of his shot.

You just made a lot of assumptions. I never said any of the things that you assumed I believe. First of all, I was never a Fitz fan. Secondly, I never said that Peterman will be the next Tom Brady. I stated that I believe McD likes him a great deal. Peterman does have many traits that make a good NFL QB. Jones has a big arm and struggles with accuracy. Very few successful NFL QB's have that trait. No one knows what Peterman will become, I do know that I like him better than Cardale.

Talking about Peterman not being able to hold Cardale's jock in college is ridiculous. College and the NFL are two different things. Tom Brady couldn't hold Tebow's jock in college either. Different skill sets are required in college compared to the pros. Raw talent wins in college. OSU had a dominant roster. Do you think that Pitt has the same talent as OSU? Everyone has talent in the NFL. Other intangibles are what separate the winners from the losers. College winners are determined by pure athletic talent. Cardale's "arm talent" doesn't matter if he can't hit the side of a barn. Bills fans may be terrible at assessing QB talent, personally I haven't liked any QB we've had since Kelly. We should all know when we see a good one. Cardale isn't it.

...IRONICALLY, Brandon did ask him to renegotiate for backup money after the absurd extension...Fitz said, "nope, I WILL get starter money elsewhere".....hence, OBD DID attempt to keep 'em..........