6-8: Dareus Will be on NFL Network at 7:15 PM ET

You really are out of touch then. He showed up to camp in 2015 out of shape, failed the conditioning test, and had to work with trainers on the side for weeks until he was able to practice. Then 2016 he was suspended the first 4 games of the season, came back and was out of shape, pulled a hamstring and was out for another 2-3 games. This is a guy they gave $100 mil to. You give out contracts like that to guys that are the foundation of your team who are leaders and someone you build your team around. The fact that Dareus is a class clown who doesn't give max effort is not an opinion, it's a well known fact

That was 2014.

He pulled a hammy after missing a month of practice/games because of the suspension, but I don't remember hearing or reading anything about him coming back out of shape. If I remember correctly, he hurt it while trying to chase EJ around in practice.

If you can point to an article or anything saying Dareus was out of shape after the suspension, I will eat crow, but I'm quite certain that there was no confirmation from coaches, players, or the FO.

Edited by elroy16

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You really are out of touch then. He showed up to camp in 2015 out of shape, failed the conditioning test, and had to work with trainers on the side for weeks until he was able to practice. Then 2016 he was suspended the first 4 games of the season, came back and was out of shape, pulled a hamstring and was out for another 2-3 games. This is a guy they gave $100 mil to. You give out contracts like that to guys that are the foundation of your team who are leaders and someone you build your team around. The fact that Dareus is a class clown who doesn't give max effort is not an opinion, it's a well known fact

He did not fail his conditioning test in 2015. You're flat wrong about that. 2015 is also when he got his extension and deservedly so.

It was goofy fans like you that said he looked out of shape. All kinds of athletes pull their hamstring that are in supreme conditioning and it's just flat laziness for you to pretend you know that was the reason.

where did i say to let him walk? i said he's a good player even without playing at his full potential

You won't leave the discussion there because your negativity overwhelms you.

You think he doesn't play at his full potential. Some believe despite his off the field issues, he comes to play.

Let's discuss, right? No you put together fictitious statements trying to link the two.

If Rex didn't screw around with this phenomenal defense - he'd be the same maniac on the field he has been, IMO.

Edited by Triple Threat

He did not fail his conditioning test in 2015. You're flat wrong about that. 2015 is also when he got his extension and deservedly so.

It was goofy fans like you that said he looked out of shape. All kinds of athletes pull their hamstring that are in supreme conditioning and it's just flat laziness for you to pretend you know that was the reason.

You won't leave the discussion there because your negativity overwhelms you.

You think he doesn't play at his full potential. Some believe despite his off the field issues, he comes to play.

Let's discuss, right? No you put together fictitious statements trying to link the two.

If Rex didn't screw around with this phenomenal defense - he'd be the same maniac on the field he has been, IMO.

That was 2014.

He pulled a hammy after missing a month of practice/games because of the suspension, but I don't remember hearing or reading anything about him coming back out of shape. If I remember correctly, he hurt it while trying to chase EJ around in practice.

If you can point to an article or anything saying Dareus was out of shape after the suspension, I will eat crow, but I'm quite certain that there was no confirmation from coaches, players, or the FO.

http://buffalonews.com/2016/11/03/always-something-marcell-dareus/

Please read this and tell me how Dareus gives 100% to football.

Or read some of the other ones calling into question his conditioning, leadership, maturity

http://www.democratandchronicle.com/story/sports/football/nfl/bills/2016/08/16/maiorana-bills-should-make-statement-and-dump-dareus/88874158/

http://www.upi.com/Sports_News/2016/08/19/Buffalo-Bills-struggling-to-keep-patience-with-Marcell-Dareus/1261471583237/

http://thebiglead.com/2016/08/20/bills-marcell-dareus-will-enter-rehab-after-latest-failed-drug-test/

http://nesn.com/2016/08/bills-marcell-dareus-manny-lawson-reportedly-facing-suspensions/

http://buffalowdown.com/2014/06/03/bills-need-act-now-marcell-dareus/

http://www.buffalorumblings.com/buffalo-bills-news/2014/6/2/5773940/marcell-dareus-arrested-seven-charges-car-race

you are happy for the young man. Get a grip. He is a ungrateful man. unable to face reality and has hurt this team dramatically. He used his mothers illness as an excuse his first year. Always another reason. He has abandoned his teammates. He has one interview and everyone is on his bandwagon. To me he has a lot more to prove than an interview staged by his manager. He has yet to even mention his lying to the fans and the Bills. He is making the rounds looking for good guy treatment for his next contract.

Dareus is one or two steps from being James Hardy.

He needs to shut up. Get in the gym. Get on the field for the next 2 or 3 seasons and prove he is a man and a teammate..

This to me is a smoke screen set up by his manager/agent.

This kind of sounds like a poem.. or a rap song. Flows nice and somewhat rhymes!

Edited by Rise Up Lights

This is one of the worst posts in the history of this board. I'd say more but I don't want to get banned.

http://buffalonews.com/2015/12/06/bills-dareus-keeps-playing-through-lifes-losses/

Guy has had a very tough life. He obviously needs to grow but literally every main adult figure in his life has passed away. If you can't feel any sympathy for him, you're a sad human being.

So Biscuit he has had a tough life and that allows him to opportunity to lie to his teammates, the Bills and the fans.

As a good ol' social worker you are, exactly how many more times does he get to screw up. A one year suspension, one more year of being out of shape,

lets see what you say when the next time he peas in a cup. And by the way, everyone seems to think this is a pot issue. Where did that come from. Not the league.

He has lied many time so how can you believe him.

In a career that last maybe 10 years...how many chances do you get.

This kind of sounds like a poem.. or a rap song. Flows nice and somewhat rhymes!

thanks, you are right. sounds best sung to the music of "Cry me a River"

So Biscuit he has had a tough life and that allows him to opportunity to lie to his teammates, the Bills and the fans.

As a good ol' social worker you are, exactly how many more times does he get to screw up. A one year suspension, one more year of being out of shape,

lets see what you say when the next time he peas in a cup. And by the way, everyone seems to think this is a pot issue. Where did that come from. Not the league.

Carrots would be more impressive.

you are happy for the young man. Get a grip. He is a ungrateful man. unable to face reality and has hurt this team dramatically. He used his mothers illness as an excuse his first year. Always another reason. He has abandoned his teammates. He has one interview and everyone is on his bandwagon. To me he has a lot more to prove than an interview staged by his manager. He has yet to even mention his lying to the fans and the Bills. He is making the rounds looking for good guy treatment for his next contract.

He needs to shut up. Get in the gym. Get on the field for the next 2 or 3 seasons and prove he is a man and a teammate..

Thanks for stopping by, Jerry.

Guest NeckBeard

thanks, you are right. sounds best sung to the music of "Cry me a River"

For what it's worth, outside of Ray Rice, I think that troubled players can get many chances in the NFL -- if they can play, or at very least if a team thinks that they can play so they got a shot. To cite a few examples:

- Adrian Peterson

- Ray Lewis

- Ryan Leaf

- Michael Vick

- Pacman Jones

We might not like what Dareus did, as fans, but the NFL trends towards giving opportunities to players who have been in trouble in the past, and that is fact.

harsh, well, not really, seemed more disturbed to me.

I am a man who has traveled nearly 56 years through this life and I know that choices

can lead to consequences and also can lead to hard lessons.

I am a man of chances and as long as there is a chance, I'll give the benefit of doubt.

he is a young man that has another chance, with a pretty solid coaching staff.

can I say he'll succeed, no, but I'm willing to give him the benefit of doubt.

have a good day and GO BILLS!!!

Dareus does not have 56 years...he has maybe 10 in football and as such cannot afford to waste the talent, on pot, or drugs or crying about things. and challenging the rules. He has many years after his 10 to screw up all he wants. His teammates work hard to play the game and he lets them down by not playing and facing suspensions etc. He takes up a huge portion of the cap. He has responsibilities and time the little boy grew up.

We have no choice but to give him another chance and I hope he is successful. But we have been down this road before and I am not prepared to forgive or forget until he actually does it.

Dareus does not have 56 years...he has maybe 10 in football and as such cannot afford to waste the talent, on pot, or drugs or crying about things. and challenging the rules. He has many years after his 10 to screw up all he wants. His teammates work hard to play the game and he lets them down by not playing and facing suspensions etc. He takes up a huge portion of the cap. He has responsibilities and time the little boy grew up.

We have no choice but to give him another chance and I hope he is successful. But we have been down this road before and I am not prepared to forgive or forget until he actually does it.

Ahh, to be old and sanctimonious. Good times!

Guest NeckBeard

*shrug* Maybe he has enough cash and a lifestyle where he can live comfortably for an eternity, so he doesn't care. Or maybe he does. I have no idea.

For all of the guff that he has taken for his suspension last year, and rightfully so, you really don't hear about Dareus getting into scraps at strip clubs, or in Las Vegas, beating women, stabbing people, or gunning them down. I get that it seems like yet another lost pick from a perpetually terrible franchise, but I don't think that Dareus is as bad as some make him out to be, and by a wide margin.

Also, I am not so sure that everybody on the Bills rosters were working that hard over the last 2 years. In fact, the on field results have pointed to the exact opposite at times. Outside of his suspension, I argue that he was every bit as engaged as large parts of the squad over that period of time.

Edited by NeckBeard

http://buffalonews.com/2016/11/03/always-something-marcell-dareus/

Please read this and tell me how Dareus gives 100% to football.

Or read some of the other ones calling into question his conditioning, leadership, maturity

http://www.democratandchronicle.com/story/sports/football/nfl/bills/2016/08/16/maiorana-bills-should-make-statement-and-dump-dareus/88874158/

http://www.upi.com/Sports_News/2016/08/19/Buffalo-Bills-struggling-to-keep-patience-with-Marcell-Dareus/1261471583237/

http://thebiglead.com/2016/08/20/bills-marcell-dareus-will-enter-rehab-after-latest-failed-drug-test/

http://nesn.com/2016/08/bills-marcell-dareus-manny-lawson-reportedly-facing-suspensions/

http://buffalowdown.com/2014/06/03/bills-need-act-now-marcell-dareus/

http://www.buffalorumblings.com/buffalo-bills-news/2014/6/2/5773940/marcell-dareus-arrested-seven-charges-car-race

I'm going to try one more time to get a very simple point through your negative thinking.

We've all said his off field actions have not been good.

You questioned his effort - which we all understand you're trying to create a parallel between off field decisions and his dedication to football. It's not there.

He's a dominant football player on the field. We then draw a conclusion that he must be dedicated to being a good football player in terms of putting in the work.

You think he's an out of shape loser (whom you don't want to get rid of) and because football is so easy for him is just good at less than ideal effort. A theory of which you have absolutely no proof other than referring to his off field personal decisions. There's no tangible evidence that he doesn't work hard at football, none.

For example: Let's just say he was out drag racing and then he was late for a meeting. Then he dominates in the next game.

My take - I think he's a heck of a football player, with tons of talent, works hard at it and loves to play. He's an idiot because he makes such stupid decisions. I just wish he would get his life in order so I can just enjoy his game and he could live a long prosperous life.

Your take - He played well because it's easy - he said so himself. There's no way he could be working hard on his game if he's making all these bad decisions. He's not a leader and is immature but I've never wanted him off the team - I just hope we can get one more percent of effort from him.

Edited by Triple Threat

way to take my point and put it in to your own context.

I see the young man has you in distress. get out, soak in some sunshine. let Dareus worry about himself.

I can see the point (to a small degree) you're trying to make but it is not in your hands so let the kid either prove the naysayers (like yourself) wrong

and succeed or let him ruin his career.

either way, it will not have any long lasting impact on your life.

I believe he is heading in the right direction with a good staff around him.

but hey, what do I know...

Edited by DaBillsFanSince1973

I'm going to try one more time to get a very simple point through your negative thinking.

We've all said his off field actions have not been good.

You questioned his effort - which we all understand you're trying to create a parallel between off field decisions and his dedication to football. It's not there.

He's a dominant football player on the field. We then draw a conclusion that he must be dedicated to being a good football player in terms of putting in the work.

You think he's an out of shape loser (whom you don't want to get rid of) and because football is so easy for him is just good at less than ideal effort. A theory of which you have absolutely no proof other than referring to his off field personal decisions. There's no tangible evidence that he doesn't work hard at football, none.

For example: Let's just say he was out drag racing and then he was late for a meeting. Then he dominates in the next game.

My take - I think he's a heck of a football player, with tons of talent, works hard at it and loves to play. He's an idiot because he makes such stupid decisions. I just wish he would get his life in order so I can just enjoy his game and he could live a long prosperous life.

Your take - He played well because it's easy - he said so himself. There's no way he could be working hard on his game if he's making all these bad decisions. He's not a leader and is immature but I've never wanted him off the team - I just hope we can get one more percent of effort from him.

So showing up out of shape and failing a conditioning test isn't proof in your eyes?

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000366229/article/marcell-dareus-failed-conditioning-test-in-buffalo

So showing up out of shape and failing a conditioning test isn't proof in your eyes?

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000366229/article/marcell-dareus-failed-conditioning-test-in-buffalo

You mean in 2014, when he had 10 sacks as a tackle? When they were the 4th ranked defense. The year he earned an enormous contract extension. No that failed BS conditioning test meant nothing to me or my eyes.

Anymore questions?

Edited by Triple Threat

You mean in 2014, when he had 10 sacks as a tackle? When they were the 4th ranked defense. The year he earned an enormous contract extension. No that failed BS conditioning test meant nothing to me or my eyes.

Anymore questions?

What year it happened means nothing. You said there is "no tangible evidence that he doesn't work hard at football none". The fact that he showed up out of shape and failed the test is proof.

But the Kool-Aid will never allow you to see or admit that. And in the usual Bills apologist fashion you blame the "BS" test instead of the player who is clearly at fault.

Edited by CaliBills92

I think you just like to argue with me. You are the only person on this forum that thinks Dareus gives maximum effort at anything. Either you don't follow his career or you are just making stuff up

Naw, I don't know what Dareus does. I have seen him play hard as hell to the whistle.

Perhaps Ryan Philosophy was not the best vehicle for some of the younger players to springboard from ?

I think Coaching matters. Alot.

And it becomes exponential the younger the player.

I would be surprised if Triple has sought you out.

But I am a firm believer in never closing a book on a person. Some guys take till over 30 to get their doody straight

This is one of the worst posts in the history of this board. I'd say more but I don't want to get banned.

http://buffalonews.com/2015/12/06/bills-dareus-keeps-playing-through-lifes-losses/

Guy has had a very tough life. He obviously needs to grow but literally every main adult figure in his life has passed away. If you can't feel any sympathy for him, you're a sad human being.

i am sad to agree.

never a need to rip into a person player.

we all have work to do in life and improve each day.

Whaley gave him 90 mill. loathe him instead perhaps ?

beside what I crossed out is true. The crossed out bit is your opinion and nothing more.

Like i said. Hate Whales. Hate Whales for Sammy too.

But don't hate the player. person human being

I think you have made your position clear.

I honestly appreciate you doing just that.

and i can understand it.

*shrug* Maybe he has enough cash and a lifestyle where he can live comfortably for an eternity, so he doesn't care. Or maybe he does. I have no idea.

For all of the guff that he has taken for his suspension last year, and rightfully so, you really don't hear about Dareus getting into scraps at strip clubs, or in Las Vegas, beating women, stabbing people, or gunning them down. I get that it seems like yet another lost pick from a perpetually terrible franchise, but I don't think that Dareus is as bad as some make him out to be, and by a wide margin.

Also, I am not so sure that everybody on the Bills rosters were working that hard over the last 2 years. In fact, the on field results have pointed to the exact opposite at times. Outside of his suspension, I argue that he was every bit as engaged as large parts of the squad over that period of time.

I am looking at the upcoming season with this firm in my thinking

I am sure Marcel is losing sleep over this.....he definately wants to live up to your specific expectations sir....:)

What year it happened means nothing. You said there is "no tangible evidence that he doesn't work hard at football none". The fact that he showed up out of shape and failed the test is proof.

But the Kool-Aid will never allow you to see or admit that. And in the usual Bills apologist fashion you blame the "BS" test instead of the player who is clearly at fault.

We can keep going around in a circle if you'd like but you're not going to convince me he isn't dedicated to football. You want me to concede that point for failing a conditioning test in which he then had his best year? Not happening, ever. But if that failed test means more to you than how he plays on the field then enjoy yourself.

We can keep going around in a circle if you'd like but you're not going to convince me he isn't dedicated to football. You want me to concede that point for failing a conditioning test in which he then had his best year? Not happening, ever. But if that failed test means more to you than how he plays on the field then enjoy yourself.

A failed required test of any kind that is a part of your employment speaks loads about a persons character, dedication, and thought of his team.

Sure he had a fantastic year, that doesnt change the fact he felt he didn't need to meet the expectations that were set on for every person on the team. It doesnt change the fact he didnt have enough discipline to show up to obd in shape to pass his required test. It doesnt change the fact he didnt have enought commitment and dedication to the tram to show up in a state of conditioning that didnt require him to essentially not allow him to do anything until he passed the test.

A failed required test of any kind that is a part of your employment speaks loads about a persons character, dedication, and thought of his team.

Sure he had a fantastic year, that doesnt change the fact he felt he didn't need to meet the expectations that were set on for every person on the team. It doesnt change the fact he didnt have enough discipline to show up to obd in shape to pass his required test. It doesnt change the fact he didnt have enought commitment and dedication to the tram to show up in a state of conditioning that didnt require him to essentially not allow him to do anything until he passed the test.

you're speaking in past tense, that was 2014.

this, as you know, is 2017.

so tell me, how has he done so far going in to this season?

http://www.newyorkupstate.com/buffalo-bills/index.ssf/2017/06/buffalo_bills_dt_marcell_dareus_adjusting_to_sean_mcdermotts_coaching_style.html

Edited by DaBillsFanSince1973

He is the foundation of the defense. Accept it and move on. He is a top 3 talent at DT.

Please let me now what you would have done with Bruce Smith when he got suspended for four games for cocaine.

He is the foundation of the defense. Accept it and move on. He is a top 3 talent at DT.

Please let me now what you would have done with Bruce Smith when he got suspended for four games for cocaine.

The right scheme with the right coach makes a big difference.

The past is the past. Can't do nothing about it. What we can look forward to is the future and it looks bright. Dareus has been in Buffalo working his butt off. I'm expecting great things from him this season.

Agree with Biscuit 100% on this one. Has Marcel made some questionable choices, in regard to both his football and personal life? Absolutely. But to simply dismiss the fact that this young man has lost MULTIPLE people in his life he was close to is irresponsible and extremely biased. We can all say we would've handled things differently, but until it actually happens to us, we just don't know. Put me in the minority who think he's handled things as good as could be expected.

Does he know this year that much is expected of him? I believe so. I also believe with a switch back to the 4-3, and allowing him to put his hand in the dirt and do what he does best, which is wreak havoc on the line of scrimmage, obliterate double teams, and be the amazingly disruptive force he has already proven to be. And when he does this, the past will be forgiven, and hopefully Niagara Bill will cut the kid a little slack...

Agree with Biscuit 100% on this one. Has Marcel made some questionable choices, in regard to both his football and personal life? Absolutely. But to simply dismiss the fact that this young man has lost MULTIPLE people in his life he was close to is irresponsible and extremely biased. We can all say we would've handled things differently, but until it actually happens to us, we just don't know. Put me in the minority who think he's handled things as good as could be expected.

Does he know this year that much is expected of him? I believe so. I also believe with a switch back to the 4-3, and allowing him to put his hand in the dirt and do what he does best, which is wreak havoc on the line of scrimmage, obliterate double teams, and be the amazingly disruptive force he has already proven to be. And when he does this, the past will be forgiven, and hopefully Niagara Bill will cut the kid a little slack...

Dareus isnt a fresh faced recent college grad. Hes a 27 year old adolescent with a tremendous amount of support available should he have needed it. Hes not homeless man, that has no support system, and cant get away from a terrible town.

Great post. Honestly, as much as I love sports, it kinda disgusts me how fans treat athletes. Yes, they have good lives and make a lot of money. But they are human beings too. Dareus has had more people close to him die than anyone I've ever met. Stevie Johnson played the day after his mom died and people complained about his lack of production. EJ Manuel (one of the reasons I really liked him) played a whole season for a national title contender while learning his mom had cancer and didn't say a word to anyone about it.

Players are treated like pieces of meat. Fans think they can say whatever they want because they want because they make a lot of money. It's a sad reflection of our culture.

Weekend Warmup: Mark your calendar for "Marcell Dareus Day"
In the first edition of the Weekend Warmup, your one-stop shop for all things Bills, find out what some of your favorite Bills players and alumni have been up to.

For fans planning an outing to the Bisons game on Tuesday, June 13, expect far more than just a night at the ballpark. Themed “Marcell Dareus Day,” the game will feature the Bills defensive tackle throwing the ceremonial first pitch and signing autographs. Through his foundation, the Pro Bowler will also be making it possible for a special group of guests to attend the game. Dareus will donate $2,500 to the Buffalo Bisons Charitable Foundation, allowing 100 children from the Boys and Girls Club of Buffalo through the United Way to have a fun-filled evening.

Dareus isnt a fresh faced recent college grad. Hes a 27 year old adolescent with a tremendous amount of support available should he have needed it. Hes not homeless man, that has no support system, and cant get away from a terrible town.

take your belligerence somewhere else. anything you post holds no water. you hold the past against him like he wont succeed in the future. it will be really nice to see those the likes of you crawl back under your rock when the kid plays lights out this season.

don't like what I post, tough, deal with it!

take your belligerence somewhere else. anything you post holds no water. you hold the past against him like he wont succeed in the future. it will be really nice to see those the likes of you crawl back under your rock when the kid plays lights out this season.

don't like what I post, tough, deal with it!

Im not holding anything against him.

Im simply pointing out fallacies.

Yes he faced adversity.

Hes not a 21 year old, no money, without a support system.

The 27 year old man has enough money to establish quite possibly the best support system in the world, that is if the Pegulas arent already providing that for him.

I have never stated that he wont produce this year. Im not holding anything against him.

Im simply stating if we get more of the same from MD that clearly indicates a lack of commitment to the team and more suspensions; it might be time to revisit the thought about buiding the defense around a player that isnt fully committed to the team.

You have a very weird way of being wrong.

Great post. Honestly, as much as I love sports, it kinda disgusts me how fans treat athletes. Yes, they have good lives and make a lot of money. But they are human beings too. Dareus has had more people close to him die than anyone I've ever met. Stevie Johnson played the day after his mom died and people complained about his lack of production. EJ Manuel (one of the reasons I really liked him) played a whole season for a national title contender while learning his mom had cancer and didn't say a word to anyone about it.

Players are treated like pieces of meat. Fans think they can say whatever they want because they want because they make a lot of money. It's a sad reflection of our culture.

Imagine having to do your job when someone close to you has recently gotten ill or died. No Americans can relate, I'm sure.

I am also very skeptical of Dareus as we have heard this same rhetoric before, and he's had multiple suspensions now. Last

year when he did show up he wasn't able to get on the field and immediately became injured.

Let's see what he really does and how he appears in training camp: tired of his talk.

Also, he's due to make about $15 mil this year, if I am reading Spotrac correctly.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/marcell-dareus-7718/

Buffalo can't get out of this contract for a while.

It really is, and sadly too that I am just as guilty as the next man when it comes to the expectations we have of these players, simply because they are millionaires. Like you said, they are human beings first, football players second.

Again, count me confident that Marcel will have a solid, if not pro-bowl caliber season. If he does, I'm sure many on here welcome him back with open arms. 👍

@TBNSports

Will Marcell Dareus find a way to fit with McDermott's Bills? @viccarucci: http://bit.ly/2rnaStC

On the field and in the meeting room, Waufle made it eminently clear that his guys either do things his way or deal with his wrath. If it meant getting physical, so be it. He wasn't afraid of any form of confrontation.

Thus, the first question Dareus heard while surrounded by reporters after last Thursday's OTA practice at New Era Field was, "What's life been like with Mike Waufle?"

"It’s been challenging," Dareus said. "Dealing with an ex-Marine, he don't play no games, he ain't cutting no corners with us. But it’s well-deserved; we need it. We're trying to be the best we can possibly be and he’s a hell of a coach and we're excited to have him."

Edited by 26CornerBlitz