Shareece Wright spent $632 on an Uber to get to OTAs

He does know they have buses and/or trains that be more cost effective if he didn't want to take a plane?

lol. Yeah, I can see him looking up the bus schedules.

Edited by vincec

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Feel bad for the driver has to go all the way back

I was talking to a driver about this the other day. He had a lady request an uber from DC to New York (~$300). He asked her if he could bring his wife along because they had a kid at college in New Jersey. He ended up doing it off app and charged her $280, so he basically got paid $280 to go visit his kid at college with his wife. Sometimes those types of things work out!

Yeah, kinda sucks. The driver is only able to drive in one city, as each city has different regulations, so they can't even acceot rides on the way back...

Yep, deadheading back from far away is not cool. As a driver, I'm always leery of someday getting one of these REALLY long trips. I don't mind driving, but it's the coming back that would be brutal.

I like Shareece's style, however.

I honestly don't get how this is being lauded as some great story about how committed he is etc. To me it just seems like poor planning. If for some reason you can't get a flight (which you should have booked well beforehand) - rent a car for 100 bucks as mentioned above.

Edited by stevewin

What an idiot. It's nice to say "commitment", but the simple reality is that he could have scored a round trip flight for half that. Hopefully, he showed up with an "I'm with stupid" shirt with an arrow pointing directly upward.

I can't imagine a last minute flight being even that from Chicago.

What an idiot. It's nice to say "commitment", but the simple reality is that he could have scored a round trip flight for half that. Hopefully, he showed up with an "I'm with stupid" shirt with an arrow pointing directly upward.

You guys are assuming there is a last minute flight to Buffalo. Not always the case. I was in Phoenix once, and if I missed the 4pm flight there wasnt another real option until the next day. Even with connections and other carriers. By the time I got anywhere on the east coast, the last flights to Buffalo were done for the day.

And if he rents a car, then he needs to drive himself all night and then be ready for practice in the morning.

This was bad planning for sure, but was most likely his only option and he can afford it.

You guys are assuming there is a last minute flight to Buffalo. Not always the case. I was in Phoenix once, and if I missed the 4pm flight there wasnt another real option until the next day. Even with connections and other carriers. By the time I got anywhere on the east coast, the last flights to Buffalo were done for the day.

And if he rents a car, then he needs to drive himself all night and then be ready for practice in the morning.

This was bad planning for sure, but was most likely his only option and he can afford it.

there are literally ALWAYS seats from chicago to buffalo, ALWAYS...both chicago airports are one of the main hubs that flights from buffalo and vice versa stop at...if you dont believe it, try to book a flight daily at various times for the next week, I guarantee you will always find a flight option same day

That's not a bad price considering.

Think the driver can find someone trying to get from WNY to Chicago for the return trip? That must happen all the time, right?

that's commitment

I'd agree that he should be committed.

(Is that what you meant?)

there are literally ALWAYS seats from chicago to buffalo, ALWAYS...both chicago airports are one of the main hubs that flights from buffalo and vice versa stop at...if you dont believe it, try to book a flight daily at various times for the next week, I guarantee you will always find a flight option same day

I'm curious so I'm looking into this...

The uber screencap in the article shows the trip was on 6/4/17, 10:59pm. That's a Sunday around 11pm. Remember, he has to be here by Monday morning.

Searching for flights on expedia for next Sunday evening, from Chicago to Buffalo, I see the last one departs at 9:50pm, 2 stops, and costs $2,178.

So if he didn't get on the 9:50pm, there are no other flights leaving. And even if he made it that day, he's paying 2-3x what he paid for the Uber.

It's not "always". The carriers don't have nonstop flights around the clock to/from Buffalo. Now, if he was flying Chicago to Atlanta, that would probably be easier.

Edit: I re-searched using Midway. Last flight to Buffalo is at 7:20pm and costs $740-950.

Edited by DrDareustein

I'm curious so I'm looking into this...

The uber screencap in the article shows the trip was on 6/4/17, 10:59pm. That's a Sunday around 11pm. Remember, he has to be here by Monday morning.

Searching for flights on expedia for next Sunday evening, from Chicago to Buffalo, I see the last one departs at 9:50pm, 2 stops, and costs $2,178.

So if he didn't get on the 9:50pm, there are no other flights leaving. And even if he made it that day, he's paying 2-3x what he paid for the Uber.

It's not "always". The carriers don't have nonstop flights around the clock to/from Buffalo. Now, if he was flying Chicago to Atlanta, that would probably be easier.

Edit: I re-searched using Midway. Last flight to Buffalo is at 7:20pm and costs $740-950.

dont use expedia, use actual flight websites...expedia is terrible and does not show all actual flight options

Pull me a flight from Chicago to Buffalo, leaving after 9:30pm on a Sunday.

ok then that might not always be an option haha...if that was truly the time he was signed/knew about minicamps that may have been his only option

however...first flight out of chicago to buffalo monday morning, no problem...in pads and stretching by 9