James Comey's Testimony Before Congress

• Replies 496
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whats all this adoo about memos? If I write it down does it make it anymore true or false than if I speak the same thing?

They are records. The emails are dated so they largely back up what Comey said. Trump is still allowed to tell more lies though

this is basically a government shut-down, which is what Conservatives enjoy

They are records. The emails are dated so they largely back up what Comey said. Trump is still allowed to tell more lies though

Comey isn't a credible witness in the first place, Trump's lawyers will carve him in zero time flat to ribbons.

you need evidence.... like a dress with the President's DNA on it as it sinks him after he committed perjury...

:nana: :nana: :nana: :nana: :nana: :nana:

this is basically a government shut-down, which is what Conservatives enjoy

Comey isn't a credible witness in the first place, Trump's lawyers will carve him in zero time flat to ribbons.you need evidence.... like a dress with the President's DNA on it as it sinks him after he committed perjury...

:nana: :nana: :nana: :nana: :nana: :nana:

No, I think you are missing the point. This is not watergate, this is far more serious. If he obstructed justice that's bad, but this isn't about a simple "third rate burgarly" this was an attack on the United States of America. I kno w Trumpers don't acknowledge that or believe it should matter because they love Trump. But evough good Americans care to do something about it

That's all well and good, but a time stamp doesn't make the content any more or less credible.

Thoughts on Comey’s testimony

Here are some of my takeaways from the Comey testimony

First, Comey’s testimony falls far short of presenting a case that President Trump obstructed justice.

Second, that being so, the most important takeaway from Comey’s testimony is that Trump was never under investigation during Comey’s time as FBI director. Contrary to what many on in the left-wing media are now claiming, this was a central anti-Trump talking point until now.

Third, Comey says he took President Trump’s statements about the Flynn investigation as a “direction” to drop the investigation. However, the words Comey attributes to Trump, and Comey’s subsequent conduct, render the former director’s inference highly questionable.

Stating a hope or a desired outcome, or even exerting pressure to see that outcome occur, is not issuing an order or direction. And if Comey thought he had been directed to drop an investigation, it’s quite likely he would have resigned (as he threatened to do in 2004 when he thought the Bush administration was behaving improperly — a point made by Sen. Tom Cotton), complained publicly, or done something more than what he did in response to Trump’s words.

Fourth, it seems clear to me that Trump did pressure Comey to drop the Flynn investigation (at least insofar as it pertained to his statements about contacts with Russians). His statement of a desire to see it dropped, coupled with statements emphasizing the importance of loyalty, amounts to exerting pressure. But, as Andy McCarthy has emphasized, pressure is not obstruction. I think it was wrong for Trump to have exerted pressure on someone investigating his friend, but it was not unlawful.

Fifth, Comey has painted an unflattering picture of President Trump’s character, including his veracity. The fact that Trump fired Comey provides a possible motive for painting that picture. However, I would not dismiss Comey’s picture on that basis.

{snip}

But Trump’s character flaws are well-known. Comey’s dim view of the president doesn’t matter much, and wouldn’t even if so many Americans didn’t take a dim view of Comey.

Thus, in the end, I don’t think Comey’s testimony will have much impact on the Trump presidency, especially if Trump can be restrained in his response. However, scandals and overblown non-scandals often unfold in unpredictable ways, making instant analysis like this post a poor guide to the future.

“Almost entirely wrong”

On February 14 the New York Times published a story by Michael Schmidt, Mark Mazzetti and Matt Apuzzo with reporting contributed by Adam Goldman and Matthew Rosenberg. The story was headlined “Trump campaign aides had repeated contact with Russian intelligence.” The usual “current and former officials” make their cameo appearance when the Times is disclosing, or purporting to disclose, highly classified information

{snip}

In the course of his testimony before the Senate Intelligence Committee today former FBI Director Comey bluntly acknowledged in response to Senator Cotton’s question that this story was “almost entirely wrong.”

CNN Bungles Comey Testimony

No, I think you are missing the point. This is not watergate, this is far more serious. If he obstructed justice that's bad, but this isn't about a simple "third rate burgarly" this was an attack on the United States of America. I kno w Trumpers don't acknowledge that or believe it should matter because they love Trump. But evough good Americans care to do something about it

The only person that obstructed justice was Loretta Lynch.

Another great day! Comey reveals himself as a coward. Confirms Donald didn't tell him to not investigate. We can put the Russian deal to rest. But maybe buried in the lead and the best thing of all..he puts the finger on Lynch and Hillary. Classic! Now that the Russian fairy tale is going to by abandoned by the retards in the media, dems and rhinos, what is the next narrative they are going to push forward to get to Trump?

Lynch says call it a "matter." Republicans: Let's launch a new independent investigation.

Trump pressures FBI head to drop an investigation then fires him when he doesn't. Republicans: What's the big deal?

Democrats: impeachment, Russia, Ivankas coat

Maybe I will start looking for UFOs with Greg.

I had to research LARPers once. And you are correct. The European version is much... easier on the eyes. In the states it tends to be this:

Now what the !@#$ is that nonsense??

No most of us who think this is much ado about nothing think Trump is an idiot. We're not blinded by allegiance to a particular party like you are

Lynch says call it a "matter." Republicans: Let's launch a new independent investigation.

Trump pressures FBI head to drop an investigation then fires him when he doesn't. Republicans: What's the big deal?

Democrats: impeachment, Russia, Ivankas coat

Maybe I will start looking for UFOs with Greg.

Hypocrisy is strong on both sides.

Pointing out the left's is just more fun, because they honestly think their hypocrisy is the high road.

Ya know, I was in Sweden recently at a friend's home for dinner. Their family is way into LARP. The funny thing is the oldest daughter who is 20 was showing pictures of LARP events and I was stunned.

I didn't know​ what LAMP is so I looked it up. Sounds like Dungeons and Dragons. Do people still play Dungeons and Dragons?