Jeremy Maclin (Agrees to 2 year deal with Ravens)

I don't believe that Ducasse belongs in anyone's lineup, nor do I think that he's one of their 9 best OLmen right now. If he ends up playing a meaningful role on the OL for this team, then the unit is in trouble.

The point isn't that they should've known what they were going to do come draft day, but rather that they shouldn't have been in a rush to sign competition for the WR4 and OL9 spots when there seems to always be depth players available in June.

Ducasse was an awful signing regardless.

And see above for my overarching point

Is it hurting us in any way? We seem to be doing fine on cap space?

Probably wont even make the final roster.

Perhaps he's just using the Bills for leverage...

booooo

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

booooo

Well, he does cost additional cap space to release.

Aside from that, he's one of the unnecessary signings that puts the team in a net gain of CFAs when a 3rd round comp pick should've been an easy get. I know, people marginalize the comp pick issue, but the best teams in the NFL take it seriously.

booooo

Comp picks.

Aside from that, he's one of the unnecessary signings that puts the team in a net gain of CFAs when a 3rd round comp pick should've been an easy get. I know, people marginalize the comp pick issue, but the best teams in the NFL take it seriously.

For example, there are probably, maximum, 25 players on the current Bills roster that wouldn't be immediately traded for a third if they could get one for them.

im in no way comparing the players, but many a fan's reaction to this process reminds me of the Terrell Owens signing...

Let's not give him the key to the city just yet, folks.

I think its a little different......we have our number 1.....for that matter we probably have our number 2 in Zay.

Maclin could come in and be a dominant number 3?

Comp picks.

For example, there are probably, maximum, 25 players on the current Bills roster that wouldn't be immediately traded for a third if they could get one for them.

I understand it's a 3rd round comp pick, but considering it's guaranteed to be after pick 96 wouldn't it be better equated value-wise to a 4th in your example?

Comp picks.

Oh I would say it's much less than that.

Less than 20 IMO.

My only problem with crediting the staff with patience and discipline is that they moved waaaaaaay too quickly to sign fringe NFL players like Ducasse and Holmes.

I can see your point, but those are bottom tier players that are looked at as camp competition and depth, not difference makers. Macklin is the type of player if healthy with draw coverage from Sammy and open the middle for Zay and Clay.

I can see your point, but those are bottom tier players that are looked at as camp competition and depth, not difference makers. Macklin is the type of player if healthy with draw coverage from Sammy and open the middle for Zay and Clay.

You're correct about the distinction, which is why I think it's even more prudent to wait on those types.

Either way, I'll feel much better about the roster with Maclin and Hodges aboard

I don't believe that Ducasse belongs in anyone's lineup, nor do I think that he's one of their 9 best OLmen right now. If he ends up playing a meaningful role on the OL for this team, then the unit is in trouble.

The point isn't that they should've known what they were going to do come draft day, but rather that they shouldn't have been in a rush to sign competition for the WR4 and OL9 spots when there seems to always be depth players available in June.

Ducasse was an awful signing regardless.

And see above for my overarching point

Honestly don't know enough personally about Ducasse to determine if he's trash or not...just know we needed more depth. I don't disagree with you that if he's a the end of the bench, then that could have been found later.

That being said, I liked the Holmes signing when it happened and I still like it now even after we drafted Zay. With a WR1 that has injuries to get past and a WR2 that is a rookie...depth is something I am happy to have, even if Holmes ends up at WR4 this year there is a possibility he will see more time as WR2 or WR3 if Sammy has the injury bug again and/or ZJ has any rookie struggles.

They have the cap space. And if they really want the comp pick, they can cut them prior to week 10.

If anything, pull for Justin Hunter, Robert Blanton, and EJ to do enough to be considered qualifying UFA's.

As opposed to Pro Bowlers Zach Brown and Lorenzo Alexander later in the process....this isn't new!! This is where the Bills excel. Landing Maclin will continue a trend.

Those players performed well for the Bills no doubt but it's not like other teams were involved in some bidding war to acquire them. You can best believe many teams will try to acquire Macklin during this time, not just Buffalo. It will be much more impressive if they snag Macklin.

Those players performed well for the Bills no doubt but it's not like other teams were involved in some bidding war to acquire them. You can best believe many teams will try to acquire Macklin during this time, not just Buffalo. It will be much more impressive if they snag Macklin.

The Bills signed Mario Williams to the biggest deal a defensive player has ever received. He was in EXTREMELY high demand. The Bills haven't had a hard time recruiting. The Bills have flourished later in FA as well. These aren't issues that the Bills have struggled with. We can criticize for a lot of different things but their ability to land guys that they want isn't one of them.

Less than 20 IMO.

I was being VERY liberal. Either way it illustrates how much of a gaffe it would be to lose a third for Ducasse.

I understand it's a 3rd round comp pick, but considering it's guaranteed to be after pick 96 wouldn't it be better equated value-wise to a 4th in your example?

Good point but tt's higher than all the 4th round picks. I would call it a late third.

Edited by jmc12290

Comp picks.

You are right but how many wouldnt be immediately traded for a fourth? Brwcuse even though its called a 3d round comp pick it actually happens at the end of the third. So you are actually getting a fourth round draft pick.

Less than 20 IMO.

So you are saying a starter on our team would be cut for a 3round comp pick which isa actually at then end of the third which makes it a fourth round pick. I find that hard to believe.

You are right but how many wouldnt be immediately traded for a fourth? Brwcuse even though its called a 3d round comp pick it actually happens at the end of the third. So you are actually getting a fourth round draft pick.

I could probably name all the players that wouldn't be traded for a 4th off the top of my head. That number still doesn't break 25, IMO.

As opposed to Pro Bowlers Zach Brown and Lorenzo Alexander later in the process....this isn't new!! This is where the Bills excel. Landing Maclin will continue a trend.

Yea, this feels like an invented narrative to match a perceived strength of personality and get excited for "change"

So you are saying a starter on our team would be cut for a 3round comp pick which isa actually at then end of the third which makes it a fourth round pick. I find that hard to believe.

I'm saying that there are players that will start for this team (like Jordan Poyer for example) that you'd be happy to trade for a 3rd round pick.

Edited by thebandit27