Chick-fil-a coming to Cheektowaga!!!!

Wacka

How do you feel about Blue Apron? I'm a huge fan.

I have not tried them yet but their concept (and competitors) appears enticing though somewhat expensive. But you are paying for convenience. It is based on using locally sourced ingredients which I referred to in an earlier post I made in this thread.

Here is one review of the competitors in this market: http://12tomatoes.com/delivery-meal-kits/

Here is another review where Peach Dish beat Blue Apron: http://observer.com/2016/01/we-tried-blue-apron-hello-fresh-and-their-4-competitors-one-was-clearly-the-best/

I prefer shopping for my own ingredients and determining which is fresher, ripe, etc.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Their sandwiches are probably better than most of their mainstream competition, but I don't really see why they are so popular. But then again, I'm the type that only eats at fast food places if I'm in a serious time crunch. So in those occasions, I tend to head somewhere else mostly because I don't like the waffle fries. I usually wind up at another southern chain that's big on chicken, Zaxby's.

They never say that to me. I was just there Wednesday, and they didn't say that.

That's odd. I get it every time, at every location.

Best "fast" food out there. Lines always out the door/around the building but it moves pretty quickly.

That's odd. I get it every time, at every location.

Best "fast" food out there. Lines always out the door/around the building but it moves pretty quickly.

Kind of defeats the purpose of fast food though, doesn't it? Even if that line moves quickly, it still sounds like more time than it's worth.

I think concern may have been a better verb than worry. Obesity has a direct impact to everyone, That is not an opinion but based on analytics (see info from links below). All of us absorb the spiraling cost of medical care and the increase in obesity is driving up our expenses for employer health insurance and workers comp.

There are direct costs those that result from outpatient and inpatient health services along with indirect costs such as higher insurance and lost work. The correlation with other conditions such as diabetes, osteoarthritis, cancer, etc. is strong. This is taken from https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/obesity-prevention-source/obesity-consequences/economic/

• Moderately obese (BMI between 30 and 35) individuals are more than twice as likely as healthy weight individuals to be prescribed prescription pharmaceuticals to manage medical conditions.7
  • Costs for patients presenting at emergency rooms with chest pains are 41 percent higher for severely obese patients, 28 percent higher for obese patients and 22 percent higher for overweight patients than for healthy- weight patients.8

If the obesity problem in the US would be addressed, Out of the $16 billion, Medicare could save more than $5 billion and Medicaid could save more than $1.9 billion.

This is from http://stateofobesity.org/healthcare-costs-obesity

Obesity now costs Americans more in health care costs than smoking https://www.forbes.com/sites/rickungar/2012/04/30/obesity-now-costs-americans-more-in-healthcare-costs-than-smoking/#2e3d181953d7

I would use the analogy of smoking. Sure, it is your right to choose to smoke but then you have to bear the consequences and those may be higher costs for life insurance and medical coverage.

Thanks Mr. Info! I had slightly high blood pressure and it bothered me. Sure I eat bad food and all but I work out a lot too. Could not figure it out until I found out how bad salt is and how much of it I was taking in. Salt in in everything! So easy to get too much of it. I stopped eating things with tons of salt and last time I got the BP checked it was down! Ya!

Chik Fil A has good food, but the reason they are successful is they have a very rigid structure that emphasizes customer service. Don't quote me on all of this but I believe the employees are required to say please and thank you, they aren't allowed to display tattoos, they keep the place clean and are very respectful. There is definitely a noticeable difference between the employees at chik fil a vs. the mcdonalds,burger kings, etc....around here.

Yup. Down here in Maryland the Chik-fil-a employees are overly polite and definitely a different breed than other fast food workers (who don't give a crap about smiling or being polite).

I avoid the place around peak breakfast, lunch or dinner times. Way too crowded, at every location. When i go at an off-peak time it's the spicy chicken sandwich for me and I dip it into their honey mustard sauce. Good stuff.

Thanks Mr. Info! I had slightly high blood pressure and it bothered me. Sure I eat bad food and all but I work out a lot too. Could not figure it out until I found out how bad salt is and how much of it I was taking in. Salt in in everything! So easy to get too much of it. I stopped eating things with tons of salt and last time I got the BP checked it was down! Ya!

Congrats on doing that. I stopped adding salt to anything years ago since it's typically in overabundance for all prepared foods. Now, I can immediately tell when an item is over salted.

I have been on a low-dose anti-hypertensive for a while. I was unable to lower my bp as much as I wanted even after eliminating salt as much as possible. Both of my parents are on anti-hypertensives but at a higher dosage so there is probably a genetic influence. I have an agreement with my doctor to be aggressive in treatment. Hypertension is one area where there are varied opinions on what is acceptable, http://www.aarp.org/health/conditions-treatments/info-2014/new-blood-pressure-guidelines-raise-controversy.html, but my doctor works with me to focus on the lower limit.

Congrats on doing that. I stopped adding salt to anything years ago since it's typically in overabundance for all prepared foods. Now, I can immediately tell when an item is over salted.

I have been on a low-dose anti-hypertensive for a while. I was unable to lower my bp as much as I wanted even after eliminating salt as much as possible. Both of my parents are on anti-hypertensives but at a higher dosage so there is probably a genetic influence. I have an agreement with my doctor to be aggressive in treatment. Hypertension is one area where there are varied opinions on what is acceptable, http://www.aarp.org/health/conditions-treatments/info-2014/new-blood-pressure-guidelines-raise-controversy.html, but my doctor works with me to focus on the lower limit.

http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/186809-12-reasons-why-salt-is-not-bad/?do=findComment&comment=3980855

Cut weight down and then see if it is the salt.

IMO... People are probably more hypo-thyroid than hyper-thyroid.

You do need salt, it's a vital nutrient. The thing is not to obsess over what is already in food. Obsess about the actual food being shoveled down the gullet!

https://www.thecut.com/2017/05/salt-is-good-study-helps-lose-weight.html

How do you feel about Blue Apron? I'm a huge fan.

my wife and i did it for a while. we were trapped in the house with a new born, and it seemed like something fun we could do. we did it 3 nights a week, and would have a couple of drinks while doing so. We thought it was great, but after months of it we just seemed to burn out. i found the prep always took longer than expected, and a lot of the time we weren't eating until 8:30 at night. fresh food, pretty solid meals, and it was a nice way to eat clean. it just wasn't something we wanted to keep up with.

we now plan a weekly menu so we can make sure we have what we need to make our own meals. it takes a bit of work on the weekends, but we eat much healthier because of it.

Edited by teef

Guess I'll see what all the hype is about. After the crowds die down a bit.

They finally came to NH a year ago. It is a damn good chicken sandwich, plus the waffle fries are tasty. Sandwich, fries and drink combo goes for around $8. Well worth the price. They also excel at customer service. Their staff is trained to be super-friendly and make sure you are happy with your food. The most frustrating thing is being closed Sundays.

It is. You both are right.

Our whole society revolves around sitting on our asses and chowing down huge portions. Don't have to be ripped, just a healthy BMI.

We all need to eat less and do more work. And if it is easier for women to pack on pounds, they surely shouldn't be eating bigger portions. 1,000s of calories in a chicken sandwich meal probably ain't the best choice when You throw in the waffle fries.

Oh... And Chick-fil-a ain't on the cheapER end of fast food.

We went to In-N-Out in Daly City a few years back... Place was MOBBED on a Saturday... Needless to say, my son went in while I waited in the truck w/my throughly disgusted vegetarian daughter. She wasn't amused w/the conspicuous consumption. Oh... I had him grab me an "Animal Style" fries too w/my burger. :-)

If my daughter ever moves to Bay Area... Please, pray for everyone's sake she doesn't! She's your up and coming liberal protester! TOTO WE ARE HOME!!! ;-)

She'll fit right in out here.

Exactly what we say every time we go to In-N-Out! Always impressed how consistently pleasant they are. One of the reasons we go back. I wonder if there are certain personality traits they look for in the hiring/interview process? Has to be right?

I would think so.

They are a family owned company, and they want the customers to have a pleasant experience.

Also, In-N-Out treats their employees good. I think they start off at $14/hour. They give you benefits, vacation time, & 401k.

That's very good for a job at a fast food joint.

. we did it 3 nights a week, and would have a couple of drinks while doing so. We thought it was great, but after months of it we just seemed to burn out. i found the prep always took longer than expected, and a lot of the time we weren't eating until 8:30 at night. fresh food, pretty solid meals, and it was a nice way to eat clean. it just wasn't something we wanted to keep up with.

we now plan a weekly menu so we can make sure we have what we need to make our own meals. it takes a bit of work on the weekends, but we eat much healthier because of it.

As the old sign says..."i cook with wine, and sometimes some even ends up in the food " .

I cook just about every night of the week unless we are going out(most Fridays), have a beer or two while prepping and cooking, as does the wife sitting at the island where i am prepping, and its the time we spend together during the day.

I am lucky though as work out of the house, have a gazillion grocery stores with 15 minutes, and pretty much decide that morning what i want for dinner and then get it that day.

Just had a peach milkshake tonight! ''Tis the season--

Those things are great!

My wife went in for two new crowns tonight. One on each side. There will be a lot of shakes and soups for the next few weeks. The season says Gazpacho is in my future! (But I do love our gazpacho recipe.)

My wife went in for two new crowns tonight. One on each side. There will be a lot of shakes and soups for the next few weeks. The season says Gazpacho is in my future! (But I do love our gazpacho recipe.)

My son is getting his 4 wisdom teeth out tomorrow. He thinks he is making a reggae concert tomorrow night. LMAO! Should I break it to him the reality of what will happen @ the oral surgeon's tomorrow? Nah... Why be a killjoy! He's out now getting his "Last Supper"... Hope it is a good one, maybe Chick-fil-a... Dude loves that place.

;-)

My son is getting his 4 wisdom teeth out tomorrow. He thinks he is making a reggae concert tomorrow night. LMAO! Should I break it to him the reality of what will happen @ the oral surgeon's tomorrow? Nah... Why be a killjoy! He's out now getting his "Last Supper"... Hope it is a good one, maybe Chick-fil-a... Dude loves that place.

;-)

Did they catch the teeth early? He could still make it. He didn't have any concert to go to, buy my neighbor's kid just had his out last month and he definitely could have gone somewhere later that night.