Are we undervaluing Shady's potential impact?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

he could have a huge impact in the PASSING GAME. he is being really under utilized in that respect. we need to get him 1 on 1 with a LB and he will run right by him. Thurman was so successful not because he was the best RB (Barry and Emmitt were better) but because he was involved in the passing game as well and led the league in yards from scrimmage on multiple occassions.

I'll tell you what the experts are missing: Shady's impact on the passing game. Folks like Jeremy White keep throwing out arbitrary numbers that Tyrod and Watkins have to hit to "show him something" but he never considers the impact of a strong run game decreasing the need for pass plays. I would be perfectly happy with less than 200 yds passing per game if we are rushing for 250 and winning.

it's actually the other way around.

Prior to Sammy's return to the lineup against Jacksonville (recognizing that he was dressed, but unable to actually play up to any reasonable level in weeks 1 and 2), Shady averaged less than 4.1 YPC in 5 of 9 games, and only had 1 game with more than 4 receptions.

Starting with Sammy's return against Jacksonville (a game in which he immediately showed his big play ability), Shady averaged less than 5.3 YPC in only 2 out of 6 games--the slop-fest in the snow against Pittsburgh and the run-for-the-bus-season-finale against the Jets; he also caught 6 or more passes in 3 of those 6 games.

Make no mistake, Sammy's presence sets things up for McCoy at least as much as McCoy does for Sammy.

Color me as the guy that wants to keep Shady fresh the hole season....and we give a number 2 back a lot of grunt work on short yardage and goaline

Oh definitely.

We really struggled on 3rd & short situations, and I want to think that was a huge reason for signing Tolbert and bringing in the top blocking FB (by a pretty significant margin),in Dimarco. Expect Freeman to feel his Koss in ATL. Williams is also capable.

it's actually the other way around.

Prior to Sammy's return to the lineup against Jacksonville (recognizing that he was dressed, but unable to actually play up to any reasonable level in weeks 1 and 2), Shady averaged less than 4.1 YPC in 5 of 9 games, and only had 1 game with more than 4 receptions.

Starting with Sammy's return against Jacksonville (a game in which he immediately showed his big play ability), Shady averaged less than 5.3 YPC in only 2 out of 6 games--the slop-fest in the snow against Pittsburgh and the run-for-the-bus-season-finale against the Jets; he also caught 6 or more passes in 3 of those 6 games.

Make no mistake, Sammy's presence sets things up for McCoy at least as much as McCoy does for Sammy.

Thanks for posting this. Sammy's presence alone makes defenses have to respect the pass game. Usually devoting a safety to watch Watkins,versus creeping into the box and zeroing in on McCoy..

Now just imagine a fully healthy Sammy,Clay and that number should increase even more... Not to mention Zay ,who should be ano upgrade over Woods, strictly from a size,speed,and potential standpoint. This offense can be very dangerous

To the, "It's a passing league" crowd, I invite you to read this article.

https://theringer.com/nfl-offensive-strategy-going-big-a8e0ae117091

It’s important to remember, though, that any time the pendulum swings significantly in one direction, it likely doesn’t take long before it comes barreling back. When it does, people without their heads on a swivel are liable to get knocked on their asses. If the tendencies of the NFL’s elite last season are any indication, offenses plan to react to shrinking defenders and positionless football by promptly reversing course.

Two teams they mention running 22 and 21 personnel a lot, the Pats and Falcons.

The DiMarco signing was mocked by some, but it could be a great signing. Unlike Felton, DiMarco is a more complete blocker and can catch some passes out of the backfield. Felton was good at blowing people up in the hole, but I think DiMarco will be better for the outside zone runs and is no slouch blocking for inside zones and power runs.

One interesting thing about the Shady article is he says that the run and pass plays look the same and the defense won't know what's coming. I saw another article at some point that looked into the Atlanta offense. They would line up DiMarco in the slot and motion him inside. This would give Ryan a read on the defense and give him a good idea if they were in man or zone. Hopefully we see DiMarco used similarly and help out Tyrod with his reads.

That was a little off topic, but yeah, if Shady can stay healthy, he could be in for a huge year.

Edited by elroy16

The DiMarco signing was mocked by some, but it could be a great signing. Unlike Felton, DiMarco is a more complete blocker and can catch some passes out of the backfield. Felton was good at blowing people up in the hole, but I think DiMarco will be better for the outside zone runs and is no slouch blocking for inside zones and power runs.

One interesting thing about the Shady article is he says that the run and pass plays look the same and the defense won't know what's coming. I saw another article at some point that looked into the Atlanta offense. They would line up DiMarco in the slot and motion him inside. This would give Ryan a read on the defense and give him a good idea if they were in man or zone. Hopefully we see DiMarco used similarly and help out Tyrod with his reads.

That was a little off topic, but yeah, if Shady can stay healthy, he could be in for a huge year.

What blocks does Dimarco do that Felton can't?

Pats run because they have established the passing threat for every game Brady ever plays again. If the games requires running or passing 22 times in a row, they will do it. To argue that this can happen without the established great passing threat is quite amusing.

What blocks does Dimarco do that Felton can't?

He's just better at blocking guys, especially in space, he's quicker and way more versatile then Felton, like the poster pointed out. He was by far the best blocking FB in the league.

Felton was all power, and was a helluva FB, Dimarco has that same power but with way more speed and is a threat to catch the football

I think we are just hanging around at the top of the league at fb. Not a radical change and something we've prioritized

Just about every coordinator has talked about package plays to disguise stuff. Don't you remember Hackett being touted as a boy wonder for talking about them?

Let's be real too - those two teams have very good qbs. Atlanta might have the best receiver in the game. They are dynamic passing games that are able to round out complete offenses. Getting undervalued contributors is great but having cornerstones players at the most important spot is their story.

With Dennison using more outside run plays that rely on the runner cutting back and finding a hole, as well as more pass attempt's going to McCoy, he will have the opportunity to put up MVP numbers and drive us to the playoffs.

Look what Dennison did with Arian Foster and while he's / was a great RB, Shady is on another level.

I think McCoy isn't mentioned enough or given enough credit for what he brings to the table as the engine to our offense. Just imagine how much better he could have been last year with a consistent D ,let alone a play caller that is a perfect match for Shady.

He's easily a top 10 skills position player and if Watkins can play to his full potential,we suddenly have 2 elite,rare talents running around in that offense. Not to mention an anticipated improved defense will also make Taylor look much much better.

I know he's respected on here but I still feel Shady is underappreciated a bit and doesn't get brought up enough when talking about Buffalo's potential future success

I think it's really hard to put a value on potential. The more contributions made the greater the risk of injury including the small stuff that slows you down. I don't think many would deny his potential of being the best in the league at his position.

If he stays healthy he has a top 3 RB season.

I guess since I skipped the title question. Who is we in it? The bills are valuing him as the #2 rb in the league based on his contract. Merely expecting top 3 might count as setting the bar low by that measure!

The one where you catch the ball on a pass route.

That's not a block.

The whole "it's a passing league!" crowd is lost.

It's an excuse to bash Tyrod. Yes you obviously need to have an effective passing game, but if you excel at running the football and score points, does it really matter how you score those points?

When you need 7 and there's two minutes left, yes it does matter.

You simply cannot rely on the run game in that situation. Period.

With Dennison using more outside run plays that rely on the runner cutting back and finding a hole, as well as more pass attempt's going to McCoy, he will have the opportunity to put up MVP numbers and drive us to the playoffs.

Look what Dennison did with Arian Foster and while he's / was a great RB, Shady is on another level.

I think McCoy isn't mentioned enough or given enough credit for what he brings to the table as the engine to our offense. Just imagine how much better he could have been last year with a consistent D ,let alone a play caller that is a perfect match for Shady.

He's easily a top 10 skills position player and if Watkins can play to his full potential,we suddenly have 2 elite,rare talents running around in that offense. Not to mention an anticipated improved defense will also make Taylor look much much better.

I know he's respected on here but I still feel Shady is underappreciated a bit and doesn't get brought up enough when talking about Buffalo's potential future success

I agree with you, we are totally undervaluing him. I.m.o when its all said and done Shady will have a bust in Canton. His numbers might not be there yet, but they will be. Hell, he's close now, but we lost MG so all hope is lost for our run game this season...jk.

Shady is who makes our O go. Everything we do goes off him and it showed in the games he missed or was taken out of last year

Edited by CDogg20