Rick Dennison interview on WGR

I think you guys need to listen more carefully to what Dennison said.

He said the QB in his offense has to make pre-snap reads to get the team into the right play. He doesn't have to make a lot of post-snap reads. The play and the matchups that are apparent at the line of scrimmage determines where the ball is going. It doesn't have anything to do with Tyrod seeing the field scanning the defense as the play evolves, etc. It's come to the line, see what the defense is, take the snap, throw the ball. It's how KC and a lot of teams play.

He said he knows Tyrod can do it. How does he know? Well, he didn't say, but he had him in Baltimore and he's worked with him for a couple of months. He's probably watched Taylor work out. He knows Tyrod CAN do it; it's just a question of whether he WILL do it. So discussion about whether this is coachable, which Dennison answered, really isn't relevant. Obviously it's teachable - take the ball and throw it to THAT guy. The QB just has to get the team into the right play.

Although at first in response to the question about whether this is a competition, he said everyone competes, late in the interview he admitted that one of their objectives will be to get Tyrod a lot of reps. Tyrod is the guy. We'll see if he can do what Dennison wants.

Yup exactly right as usual Shaw. I got the sense that he watched the tape from the last couple years and couldn't understand why the ball was taking so long to get out of Tyrod's hands. My sense is that he thinks the scheme was the problem and trusts he can fix it. I loved this interview actually. He sure "sounds like" a coach, let's hope it translates.

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

His first point is definitely the most important, since it will mitigate Tyrod's biggest weakness (holding the ball too long), as well as his second biggest weakness (bailing the pocket too soon and in the wrong direction).

Regarding his final point, if Tyrod can get become more consistent in reading across the field (as opposed to just the High-Low concepts he's become efficient with) it'll really open up the playbook and limit opposing safeties' ability to roll coverage.

I think your first paragraph is spot on, but I do not think that leads to paragraph 2.

I think based on what we saw in Denver with Dennison - you are looking at flooding zones and really having TT make one or two simply reads. I do not think they will be asking him to read across the field - as much as roll and dump short, medium, or long depending on safety/LB coverage.

Tyrod had 51 under center plays last year, some 3 some 5 and some 7 I would assume, and his Y/A were .5 more than when in the shotgun, 7.3 vs 6.8.

Had 3 TDs no picks and a 104 rate which is good and 8 sacks isn't too bad.

So last year under center, it seams he was throwing the ball long while under center, whereas the WCO doesn't really give the WR time to get very far when the ball has to come out after 3 steps from the QB. Can he do it IDK we shall see.

Also wasn't a factor at all running the ball under center 11 rushes for 16 yards.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/T/TaylTy00/splits/2016/

As for running the ball when at the line of scrimmage. I think the running game relies a lot on stretch plays. Don't some QBs run the read option off the stretch play and take the ball outside when the linebacker crashes? If so, this an offense where Tyrod running will make a difference.

I think your first paragraph is spot on, but I do not think that leads to paragraph 2.

I think based on what we saw in Denver with Dennison - you are looking at flooding zones and really having TT make one or two simply reads. I do not think they will be asking him to read across the field - as much as roll and dump short, medium, or long depending on safety/LB coverage.

That's what it sounds like to me. The tough part is getting into the right play at the line. After that, it's take the snap and do one prescribed thing with the ball. He probably has one post-snap read; if he sees a key one way he throws to his primary. If he sees the key the other way, he throws to his secondary. That's what it sounds like.

Tyrod had 51 under center plays last year, some 3 some 5 and some 7 I would assume, and his Y/A were .5 more than when in the shotgun, 7.3 vs 6.8.

Had 3 TDs no picks and a 104 rate which is good and 8 sacks isn't too bad.

So last year under center, it seams he was throwing the ball long while under center, whereas the WCO doesn't really give the WR time to get very far when the ball has to come out after 3 steps from the QB. Can he do it IDK we shall see.

Also wasn't a factor at all running the ball under center 11 rushes for 16 yards.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/T/TaylTy00/splits/2016/

I am not a pro or anti Tyrod guy, but this is pretty bad. that's a sack on 15% of snaps. So say 30 drop backs a game, that would be 4.5 sacks a game. Over a season that is 76.5 sacks, that is most certainly not good.

Obviously it is a small sample size but lets hope that it does not indicate how things would be on a larger scale

I am not a pro or anti Tyrod guy, but this is pretty bad. that's a sack on 15% of snaps. So say 30 drop backs a game, that would be 4.5 sacks a game. Over a season that is 76.5 sacks, that is most certainly not good.

Obviously it is a small sample size but lets hope that it does not indicate how things would be on a larger scale

I'm interested to see what the sack rate looks like in a new offense. And just generally how we intend to use Tyrod's unique skills. He was sacked a lot last year, but the average yards lost weren't particularly high, and the turnovers were very low. We had a lot of half field high-low concepts... if neither guy is open you're coached to hold the ball and take off. Anything but a turnover basically.

If we had taken the ball away more last year (like the niners did under harbaugh), and held teams to fewer yards (specifically on the ground) - we would've made the playoffs.

If this is our coaching staff next year, this is probably TT's last year. He is not made for this offense and holding the ball too long also leads to his biggest strength, running.

I'm interested to see what the sack rate looks like in a new offense. And just generally how we intend to use Tyrod's unique skills. He was sacked a lot last year, but the average yards lost weren't particularly high, and the turnovers were very low. We had a lot of half field high-low concepts... if neither guy is open you're coached to hold the ball and take off. Anything but a turnover basically.

If we had taken the ball away more last year (like the niners did under harbaugh), and held teams to fewer yards (specifically on the ground) - we would've made the playoffs.

If we would have scored more than 7 points against the Ravens, we might have another W. we were a 7-9 team because all sides of the ball weren't good enough.

And why do you think we had half read plays? You don't think Roman, an offensive nerd, didn't want to use more of the field?

I would seriously poo my pants if I ever saw Tyrod do a 3 step drop, plant, and throw. It's literally never happened. He likes to bounce around, pat the ball a few times, run to the side, point, scramble a little, and then throw. I want to see Tyrod on the list of QB's with the fastest average time in the pocket, up there with Brady at less than 2 seconds. I don't think he can do it. Yates and Peterman are more suited for that style of offense. Tyrod thinks he's in college and can run around and make people miss and turn a simple play into a highlight reel. He's either going to sink or swim in this offense and if he can't execute the play then they are going to move on from him pretty quickly

lol good comment.

Yup exactly right as usual Shaw. I got the sense that he watched the tape from the last couple years and couldn't understand why the ball was taking so long to get out of Tyrod's hands. My sense is that he thinks the scheme was the problem and trusts he can fix it. I loved this interview actually. He sure "sounds like" a coach, let's hope it translates.

But from what we've read about Dennison, he isn't picking a scheme to fit Taylor. This is Dennison's scheme, and he thinks Taylor can run it.

But from what we've read about Dennison, he isn't picking a scheme to fit Taylor. This is Dennison's scheme, and he thinks Taylor can run it.

Definitely, he trusts his own scheme over Roman's. The further we got away from Roman's offense the better the passing game looked, with the 2 best games coming in the second half of the season (Seattle and Miami). I'm pretty excited to see how this new offense develops.

Generally speaking NFL owners hire new HC they get a good vibe from, rarely do they get hired because their schemes match existing players - This is exactly what happened when Rex was hired, and it's not all that different when Sean was hired, except there is a better football argument to be made that our existing players are a better fit for what Sean wants to do on both sides of the ball

However HC's, OC's, and DC's rarely pick schemes to fit players, it is usually the other way around - So fingers crossed TT's skills are a good match with Dennison's scheme, same for Shady and our O-line, if not, well its gonna be a loooong season

jc

Show me 1 video of Tyrod going 1,2,3, throw. Not 1,2,3, hop, throw or 1,2, Pat throw. You don't know quarterback footwork if you think anything Tyrod has ever done fits that description.

He takes the longest avg time to throw in the NFL at 3.22 seconds which is embarrassing

Wow! I can appreciate your technical read on timing and all of that, until the very last sentence where you use the word ¨embarrassing¨ ... :w00t: .... I understand the frustration of not seeing your starting QB win consistently :bag: and all that, however what is really embarrassing to me, is that you take so seriously a game which - from the fan perspective - SHOULD be fun ...coool down dude! :thumbsup:

Show me 1 video of Tyrod going 1,2,3, throw. Not 1,2,3, hop, throw or 1,2, Pat throw. You don't know quarterback footwork if you think anything Tyrod has ever done fits that description.

He takes the longest avg time to throw in the NFL at 3.22 seconds which is embarrassing

I just saw this...it took me all of 1/2 second of thinking to come up with this:

https://twitter.com/NFL/status/795808531018444802?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw&ref_url=http%3A%2F%2Ffansided.com%2F2016%2F11%2F07%2Ftyrod-taylor-finds-justin-hunter-td-video%2F

I'm sure there's others

I just saw this...it took me all of 1/2 second of thinking to come up with this:

https://twitter.com/NFL/status/795808531018444802?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw&ref_url=http%3A%2F%2Ffansided.com%2F2016%2F11%2F07%2Ftyrod-taylor-finds-justin-hunter-td-video%2F

I'm sure there's others

1, hop, slide, throw. he did release it faster there (EXTREMELY RARE) but he had poor footwork. I'm talking about 1, 2, 3 (plant back foot), unleash it. he has never made a timing throw like that maybe in his life

Interesting comments:

-TT needs to get the ball out a lot quicker

- this is coachable

-this offense will be more timing based

- his feet will tell him when to throw it

- They won't ask him to do a lot at the LOS... the read will take him to the right person.

http://www.wgr550.com/media/audio-channel/05-19-bills-offensive-coordinator-rick-dennison-howard-and-jeremymp3

To me, this is the test that will make or break Tyrod. I fully believe that Peterman can excel in this offense. We will see if Tyrod can. Imo, just my 2, I don't think Tyrod will perform well. I may be wrong, but I think Tyrod is extremely limited in his game throwing the football.