LeGarrette Blount Signing with the Eagles

thank you!!

Used to know all the Wisky running backs when I was attending games at Ann Arbor.

yeah they churn one out pretty much every year. Clement went undrafted this year, thought he was worth a late pick but his career was a bit hampered by injury.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I could be wrong but I dont think NE gets a pick due to Blount being signed elsewhere...its not like a RFA...it's more like a FA at the beginning of the FA period...on the other hand I might be wrong it could be more like a RFA due to the fact that if no team had signed Blount then he would have to sign a tender and play for NE or sit out the year...it's very confusing...Ive heard it explained by a few ppl on tv and none of them made any real sense with it...lol...Blount goes against the comp pick for whatever team hires him..thats why Ravens and Giants backed off after the May 9th rule was applied...NE figured teams who where lined up for a 3rd rd comp pick next year wouldnt go after Blount due to they might lose it if Blount being signed put them at more FA's signed then lost...the 2 major teams looking at Blount and lined up for a 3rd next year just happened to be Ravens and Giants...1 team NE would have to contend with in the playoffs and the other team that seems to be able beat NE in every Superbowl...it's not like BB to be scared of ex-players but he wasnt going to let those 2 teams get any better without paying something...Eagles either dont have any chance on a 3rd rd comp next year or just dont care and signed Blount anyways

I could be wrong but I dont think NE gets a pick due to Blount being signed elsewhere...its not like a RFA...it's more like a FA at the beginning of the FA period...on the other hand I might be wrong it could be more like a RFA due to the fact that if no team had signed Blount then he would have to sign a tender and play for NE or sit out the year...it's very confusing...Ive heard it explained by a few ppl on tv and none of them made any real sense with it...lol...Blount goes against the comp pick for whatever team hires him..thats why Ravens and Giants backed off after the May 9th rule was applied...NE figured teams who where lined up for a 3rd rd comp pick next year wouldnt go after Blount due to they might lose it if Blount being signed put them at more FA's signed then lost...the 2 major teams looking at Blount and lined up for a 3rd next year just happened to be Ravens and Giants...1 team NE would have to contend with in the playoffs and the other team that seems to be able beat NE in every Superbowl...it's not like BB to be scared of ex-players but he wasnt going to let those 2 teams get any better without paying something...Eagles either dont have any chance on a 3rd rd comp next year or just dont care and signed Blount anyways

NFL teams can tender offers to unrestricted free agents before May 9 and in turn obtain exclusive negotiating rights with the player if he doesn’t sign elsewhere before July 22. If Blount were to sign with a new team prior to July 22, he would count against the team’s compensatory picks in 2018.

http://nfltraderumors.co/patriots-use-may-9-tender-rb-legarrette-blount/

His deal may not qualify for comp formula - not sure. Cheap one year prove it deals are sometimes too weak.

@josinaanderson

Details: LeGarrette Blount #Eagles deal. I'm told it's a 1-yr deal worth up to $2.8M >> {$1.25M in base value + up to $1.55M in incentives}.

His deal may not qualify for comp formula - not sure. Cheap one year prove it deals are sometimes too weak.

@josinaanderson

Details: LeGarrette Blount #Eagles deal. I'm told it's a 1-yr deal worth up to $2.8M >> {$1.25M in base value + up to $1.55M in incentives}.

The contract length and size has no impact on qualification. They are never "sometimes too weak" -- it's black or white. He qualified after May 9 when they put that rarely used tag on him. Contract value only affects the compensation received in return. Incentives don't count in that formula either, so this would likely be a 7th round pick. The real value is that it "protects" their higher comp picks in case someone like Chris Long doesn't make the team. For example, if Long or Mingo get cut, the Pats would lose a 4th or 5th round pick. Now, they only stand to lose a 7th round pick.

@josinaanderson

Blount is on the Pats secret taxi squad. As soon as a Patriot RB goes down with an injury, Blount will start lobbying to get released from the Eagles.

Blount is on the Pats secret taxi squad. As soon as a Patriot RB goes down with an injury, Blount will start lobbying to get released from the Eagles.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/page/Barnwell2017GradesAFCEast/bill-barnwell-2017-nfl-offseason-report-card-free-agency-draft-afc-east-buffalo-bills-miami-dolphins-new-england-patriots-new-york-jets

So while the Patriots kept the door open for Blount’s return by placing the “May 9 free-agent tender” on him, the move was less about ensuring Blount being part of the team’s roster and more about protecting their compensatory draft picks while potentially directing him outside of the AFC.
Thus, Blount’s signing with the Philadelphia Eagles on Wednesday essentially helped the Patriots accomplish their primary goals.
According to OvertheCap.com, the Patriots can currently expect fourth- and fifth-round compensatory draft picks.

Good new for Blount - he has a shorter distance to move stuff when he abandons team to return to New England.

The contract length and size has no impact on qualification. They are never "sometimes too weak" -- it's black or white. He qualified after May 9 when they put that rarely used tag on him. Contract value only affects the compensation received in return. Incentives don't count in that formula either, so this would likely be a 7th round pick. The real value is that it "protects" their higher comp picks in case someone like Chris Long doesn't make the team. For example, if Long or Mingo get cut, the Pats would lose a 4th or 5th round pick. Now, they only stand to lose a 7th round pick.

not too weak to officially be included in the formula. Too weak to matter in the outcome.

https://overthecap.com/the-basics-and-methodology-of-projecting-the-nfls-compensatory-draft-picks/

Edited by YoloinOhio

With that tender, NE gets an extra pick next year......the rich get richer....again and again...

Its protecting yourself while being thrifty. Now that Whaley is gone you are likely to see that here too. Edited by Bill_with_it

@AdamSchefter

Eagles are signing former Patriots' RB LeGarrette Blount to a one-year deal, per team official. Cardinals also had some mild interest.

good! !@#$ the Patriots.

I guess I'm in a minority but I think he's a really overrated back, especially at his age. Not happy to see the pats get a pick.

if overrated is 1161 yards and 18 touchdowns, i'd shudder to think what is descent. !@#$ the Patriots.

I'm just glad he's not with the Pats. (I wish Gilly wasn't, too.) I hated seeing what looked like a LB returning kicks against us, and we looked helpless. THAT was painful.....