Syracuse native Beth Mowins to call 'MNF' game with Rex Ryan

http://www.syracuse.com/axeman/index.ssf/2017/05/syracuse_native_beth_mowins_to_call_mnf_game_with_rex_ryan_report.html

Syracuse native Beth Mowins is set to make broadcast history this fall. According to a report from Richard Deitsch of Sports Illustrated, Mowins will call a "Monday Night Football" game on ESPN. Mowins is set to call the Los Angeles Chargers-Denver Broncos in the second game of a 'MNF' double-header on Sept. 11 in Denver. Mowins would become the first woman to call a "Monday Night Football" game and just the second to do play-by-play for an NFL regular season game. Gayle Sierens was the last woman to do it, calling a Seattle Seahawks-Kansas City Chiefs game on Dec. 27, 1987 for NBC Sports.

Joining Mowins in the booth will be former Buffalo Bills and New York Jets head coach Rex Ryan, according to SI.

RS477859_20160803_JF2_5246-e147042292136

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's just something about women sports talk shows (like the Saturday morning group of ladies on ESPN) or women announcing football games that makes me cringe. I love women, been married 20+ years, respect them, etc. but I honestly prefer to have a man who has played football or a coach call the game. Just my opinion.

I'm the father of two daughters. I don't want sexism to work against them in whatever fields of endeavor they pursue.

So for the sake of daughters everywhere, I always cheer on the advances of women in traditionally male fields.

Congrats to Beth! Great news!

Although usually very knowledgeable, I find most women broadcasters lacking in one very important area, their voices are annoying. Women like Doris Burke and Suzyn Waldman have voices that I simply cannot stand for an entire game. And it causes me to turn them off. I believe that many broadcast women are being hired regardless of their delivery whereas men must have a great delivery to be on top. Jessica Mendoza in Sunday Night Baseball is an example of how it should be. A very knowledgeable woman who has pleasant voice and delivery to listen to. Doris Burke and Suzyn Waldman have voices made for Print Media.

Although usually very knowledgeable, I find most women broadcasters lacking in one very important area, their voices are annoying. Women like Doris Burke and Suzyn Waldman have voices that I simply cannot stand for an entire game. And it causes me to turn them off. I believe that many broadcast women are being hired regardless of their delivery whereas men must have a great delivery to be on top. Jessica Mendoza in Sunday Night Baseball is an example of how it should be. A very knowledgeable woman who has pleasant voice and delivery to listen to. Doris Burke and Suzyn Waldman have voices made for Print Media.

Dude...there are some really horrible male announcers out there, with really annoying voices...don't do the double standard thing!

There's just something about women sports talk shows (like the Saturday morning group of ladies on ESPN) or women announcing football games that makes me cringe. I love women, been married 20+ years, respect them, etc. but I honestly prefer to have a man who has played football or a coach call the game. Just my opinion.

The women are okay, it's just that they match them up with higher pitched "nice guys" as well, so it's a two non-alpha-male effect in the booth.

We have men who never played the game announcing who are excellent.

It's when someone who never played the game starts questioning heart and guts of players out there that it gets a bit much.

I agree. The only exception I've found to this is Doris Burke and basketball games where she actually sounds like she know's what she's talking about.

I agree. The only exception I've found to this is Doris Burke and basketball games where she actually sounds like she know's what she's talking about.

but you should always fast-forward to the last 7 or so minutes, all that matters in a decent hoops game take the sting out of inferior announcing

as well, ESPN/ABC still broadcasts in inferior sound quality so the "tin-can" effect rings out compared to the big boys who spend the coin.

Well, part of the problem is that the criteria for selecting women to cover sports, is weighted more towards "looks good on camera" and less towards "knows what they're talking about and can speak about it clearly"

There are plenty of former players and coaches who drive me nuts as they're trite and limited in their overall knowledge of the players and teams they cover and don't bother to put in the legwork to learn, or they're partisan either to the side of the ball they played or to certain teams.

I know people like Mowins but I've never been a fan. Her voice reminds me of nooner snoozer Big 10 games vs MAC teams.

Bingo.

It's got nothing to do with her being a woman, she's just not very good. She did NCAA Tournament games this year, made it feel minor league.

Dude...there are some really horrible male announcers out there, with really annoying voices...don't do the double standard thing!

Yeah, OK. When 90% of the women doing it have annoying voices and maybe 20% of the men do, it's not quite a double standard.

Yeah, OK. When 90% of the women doing it have annoying voices and maybe 20% of the men do, it's not quite a double standard.

Mmmmm, I would say when you find 90% of something annoying, it might be time to ask yourself why you find that particular thing annoying. 'Cuz maybe it's just intrinsically annoying, or maybe it is a double standard on your part.

Don't hurt yourself getting down off your soapbox.

It's really not even worth have the discussion with people who immediately point to sexism the moment a man criticizes a noticeable trend in a group of women. You are so quick to choose the "holier than thou" path, that you don't even take the time to understand and digest the point. The fact is that a successful broadcaster must not only have a great deal of knowledge, but also have a pleasant, welcoming, engaging voice for the listeners. It is simply my opinion that most, not all, of the women doing it do not have this quality. There are some out there that do, like Jessica Mendoza for example, and I fully support women like her in the role. But in my viewing experience, she is in the vast minority of female broadcasters at this point. Of course, there are men that do as well, it just seems to be way less (proportionally at least). I feel that many companies are hiring women broadcasters just to give an appearance of diversity, when they should be thinking about hiring the right PERSON regardless of gender.

I mean, Suzny Waldman sounds like a 75 year old Long Island woman who smoked a pack of cigarettes a day for 40 years.

Edited by Mark80