Beane hired as GM

I have the most luke-warm impressions about this hire and this tandem. Maybe it's a good thing. My expectations are low for these two. I won't be surprised if Bills are still a middling team by their end of their tenure 4 years is it? from now.

I'm surprised. You usually have such a positive outlook. ;)

• Replies 426
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

paraphrasing -- "I thought it was a good decision to bring him back to allow him to keep competing"

"Obviously there's Petermann"

"It's a QB driven league so we'll definitely have our eyes on there".

I still think Taylor is our starter opening day but he has to secure it and keep it. It's not a true "open" competition where they will split first team reps like in 2015 but it's open enough where Tyrod could lose it.

I just read an article in which Beane's first statement at his introductory press conference was "Obviously Tyrod's going to be the starter". He's kinda walked back from that statement and has been more non-committal since.

I have the most luke-warm impressions about this hire and this tandem. Maybe it's a good thing. My expectations are low for these two. I won't be surprised if Bills are still a middling team by their end of their tenure 4 years is it? from now.

I get that the bar is low and you are jaded like the rest of us but My overwhelming feeling is that the Pegulas realize that they are in over their heads. They realize that they don't know Jack or shyt about football and have hired a group of seemingly competent football people for the first time in a long time in But. I am optimistic.

When Belichick got hired by NE his track record was losing as a HC

He also didn't get to choose his GM either when he got hired. He had to earn that right over time, they didn't just give him the keys to the kingdom (or however you want to word it) until he had a track record of success. I imagine a big part of it had to do with the teams kept hiring away all their assistants, coordinators, and front office people as well.

This guy has never been a head coach in the NFL for so much power and authority to be handed to him.

Edited by Drunkard

He also didn't get to choose his GM either. He had to earn that right over time, they didn't just give him the keys to the kingdom (or however you want to word it) until he had a track record of success. I imagine a big part of it had to do with the teams kept hiring away all their assistants, coordinators, and front office people as well.

Oh great we're back to the whining stage with some people. Super glad you decided to drop in with these original gems

Oh great we're back to the whining stage with some people. Super glad you decided to drop in with these original gems

Whatever, man. There's a reason the playoff drought is almost old enough to vote. If whining about others whining makes you feel better about the hire, good for you.

Thanks for answering. I vehemently disagree that not selecting a QB with pick #10 in a draft devoid of any "sure fire" franchise players at the position equates to "not seeing the big picture."

He may, in fact, see the "big picture" much more than people think. He is a rookie HC with a defensive background and obviously no GM experience who was put in charge of a draft. Was this wise of the Pegulas? Probably not, but it is what it is. But no matter what, he certainly isn't the right person to be drafting a QB at #10 overall. Perhaps he realized his shortcomings (a trait his predecessor could have used BTW), traded down and selected a player at a position he was comfortable selecting. Some say selecting a DB in that draft in the first round wasn't smart either, but he is essentially a DC not a GM and that is what it is as well. Selecting a player at a position he was knowledgeable in, and at the same time securing an additional first round pick for the GM to use in the next draft may well demonstrate that he sees the long term big picture very well.

He may, in fact, see the "big picture" much more than people think. He is a rookie HC with a defensive background and obviously no GM experience who was put in charge of a draft. Was this wise of the Pegulas? Probably not, but it is what it is. But no matter what, he certainly isn't the right person to be drafting a QB at #10 overall. Perhaps he realized his shortcomings (a trait his predecessor could have used BTW), traded down and selected a player at a position he was comfortable selecting. Some say selecting a DB in that draft in the first round wasn't smart either, but he is essentially a DC not a GM and that is what it is as well. Selecting a player at a position he was knowledgeable in, and at the same time securing an additional first round pick for the GM to use in the next draft may well demonstrate that he sees the long term big picture very well.

String a few of the decisions that have been made since January together and a pattern emerges. Renegotiate Tyrod effectively giving him another year to prove/disprove his worth, don't pick up Sammy's 5th year option which effectively puts him in the same position as Tyrod, picking up an extras first rounder and replacing the GM and scouting staff allows Beane and McD to evaluate what they have and what they need.

Each of those moves has been debated in other threads and while you can agree or disagree with any or all of them, taken collectively what I see is transition planning.

String a few of the decisions that have been made since January together and a pattern emerges. Renegotiate Tyrod effectively giving him another year to prove/disprove his worth, don't pick up Sammy's 5th year option which effectively puts him in the same position as Tyrod, picking up an extras first rounder and replacing the GM and scouting staff allows Beane and McD to evaluate what they have and what they need.

Each of those moves has been debated in other threads and while you can agree or disagree with any or all of them, taken collectively what I see is transition planning.

I agree wholeheartedly....I think this year was all about setting up for next year. I think this was essentially, "let's change the culture in the building, begin to set new standards, put a new mindset in the players that will be here in the years to come, and be prepared to move boldly next year to get the players we believe are the future (both Drafted and FAs)". I don't think it is coincidental that next year, with some roster cuts, there could be a pretty large amount of FA money as well.

I agree wholeheartedly....I think this year was all about setting up for next year. I think this was essentially, "let's change the culture in the building, begin to set new standards, put a new mindset in the players that will be here in the years to come, and be prepared to move boldly next year to get the players we believe are the future (both Drafted and FAs)". I don't think it is coincidental that next year, with some roster cuts, there could be a pretty large amount of FA money as well.

Good thoughts here...and with a couple of breaks this season may not be bad at all.

He also didn't get to choose his GM either when he got hired. He had to earn that right over time, they didn't just give him the keys to the kingdom (or however you want to word it) until he had a track record of success. I imagine a big part of it had to do with the teams kept hiring away all their assistants, coordinators, and front office people as well.

This guy has never been a head coach in the NFL for so much power and authority to be handed to him.

IIRC Kraft gave Belichick full control of the entire football operations when he was hired in 2000 and he has been the de-facto GM ever since. Belichick then chose to hire Scott Pioli to help him out. So he had much more power than McDermott when he was hired in NE.

Belichick has always had control over the football operations with the Patriots. Kraft immediately gave him a ton of power.

Edited by BillsFan4

Whatever, man. There's a reason the playoff drought is almost old enough to vote. If whining about others whining makes you feel better about the hire, good for you.

The reason the playoff drought is 17 years long is because of the Pegulas? I actually largely agree with you, I'm not all that inspired by the McDermott and Beane hired. But stop referring to events that happened way before the Pegulas were ever in charge.