Your tax dollars at work Episode #124

http://uschnews.com/barber-poles-have-their-own-police-force-with-badges-and-everything/

When Sam Barcelona, executive director of the Arizona State Board of Barbers who is also an inspector, visits establishments, he drives a white state vehicle, carries an 8×12 “inspection book,” and if challenged, might flash his gold badge, which is decorated with the state seal and the title “Arizona Regulatory Investigator.”
“It looks just like a detective badge you’ve seen on ‘Dragnet,’ ” he said.
Just the other day, one of his inspectors checked on a salon that used to also employ a barber. The barber no longer worked there.
The salon owner did still have a depiction of a barber pole painted in her window. That, according to Mr. Barcelona, violated Arizona Administrative Code R4-5-305 ©, or the unlawful display of a barber pole, or its “likeness,” without a licensed barber on duty.
The proprietor, who said she wasn’t aware of the rules, is being given a chance to comply, he said. If she doesn’t, “she could be cited under the statute,” he said. Fines, if imposed, can range from $50 to $500 per incident.

Nah...the government is not too big and out of control.

I guess this is what happens when you employ over 20,000,000 people. Gotta give them something to do.

That is close to 10 percent of the working age population. That seems a bit excessive to me.

This guy works for the Arizona state government. I definitely think it's an idiotic waste of money spent enforcing a really stupid law, but if I was going to be consistent then I'd chalk it up to a state's rights/Arizona issue.

• 4 weeks later...

http://uschnews.com/barber-poles-have-their-own-police-force-with-badges-and-everything/

When Sam Barcelona, executive director of the Arizona State Board of Barbers who is also an inspector, visits establishments, he drives a white state vehicle, carries an 8×12 “inspection book,” and if challenged, might flash his gold badge, which is decorated with the state seal and the title “Arizona Regulatory Investigator.”
“It looks just like a detective badge you’ve seen on ‘Dragnet,’ ” he said.
Just the other day, one of his inspectors checked on a salon that used to also employ a barber. The barber no longer worked there.
The salon owner did still have a depiction of a barber pole painted in her window. That, according to Mr. Barcelona, violated Arizona Administrative Code R4-5-305 ©, or the unlawful display of a barber pole, or its “likeness,” without a licensed barber on duty.
The proprietor, who said she wasn’t aware of the rules, is being given a chance to comply, he said. If she doesn’t, “she could be cited under the statute,” he said. Fines, if imposed, can range from $50 to $500 per incident.

Are we a nation of law and order or not?

Are we a nation of law and order or not?

PAY-TO-PLAY: Business license required for teens to cut grass in Gardendale, Alabama.

Teenagers have been threatened by officials and other lawn services to show their city issued license before cutting a person’s lawn for extra summer cash.

Cutting grass is often one of the first jobs many have in the summer. But a business license in Gardendale costs
$110.
And for a job, just for a couple of months, that can be a bit extreme.

“I have never heard of a child cutting grass had to have a business license,” said Elton Campbell.

Campbell’s granddaughter cuts grass around the neighborhood.

“She charges one lady $20, and another lady $30, and another girl $40 besides what we pay her,” said Campbell.

For her, this was the perfect summer gig!

“Just helping out and raising money for admissions and trips,” said Alainna Parris.

But now, it’s becoming a hassle.

“One of the men that cuts several yards made a remark to one of our neighbors, ‘that if he saw her cutting grass again that he was going to call Gardendale because she didn’t have a business license,” said Campbell.

Tar, feathers.

Do they not already have public transportation?

This was a reply to the article:

Must say, in my experiences working with low income and disenfranchised, a vehicle can make the difference between getting a decent job or not.

Which I replied with:

So can a suit, a good pair of shoes, a resume, an education, sobriety, friends, relatives who care, a decent haircut, a shave, deodorant, energy, motivation, a goods night's sleep, no using drugs, clean fingernails, all your teeth, kicking the crack habit, skills.....So do we give them these too?!?!