Bills Decline 5th Year Option on Sammy Watkins

Thanks for missing the point completely! His potential is no less than what it was before being drafted. This guy still has HOF possibilities (NOT saying he goes, but he's young and he's special in the right conditions). McD should face the same wrath as Whaley if he misplays this. Probably more.

You cant be serious HOF possibilities?

TO is still waiting.

Let me know when he comes close to 190 games played, 1100 receptions, 14.5k yards, and 128 tds thats what Harrison got inducted for. To put that in perspective Ill use Sammy's best year only. He needs ten more years playing 16 games. He needs 15 more years 60 receptions. He needs 11.5 more years of 1047 yard seasons. He needs 12 more 9 td seasons. Cmon I dont see that now and I dont know that anyone would claim he has HOF possibilities.

Hes simply not worth the risk of tying 13 million up with out having the luxury of recouping that money for injuries to possibly use to pay another player. Now if he demonstrates his foot can withstand the rigors of an NFL season sure sign him, its too early right now.

• Replies 639
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My point exactly. Some of these guys expect him to put up elite numbers. The guys that put up elite numbers have elite QBs.

Chicken and the egg. I think it cuts both ways.

The elite QB makes the average WR look better...I always go back to Marcia and Deion Branch.

An elite WR should be an easy target for an average QB...maybe use Alshon Jeffreys and Brandon Marshall with Cutler as an example.

So he's as good as gone next year. Apparently we don't like keeping our talented players.

sarcasm font ? I hope?

I hardly think the decision has been made unless it is based upon a physical evaluation

You cant be serious HOF possibilities?

TO is still waiting.

Let me know when he comes close to 190 games played, 1100 receptions, 14.5k yards, and 128 tds thats what Harrison got inducted for. To put that in perspective Ill use Sammy's best year only. He needs ten more years playing 16 games. He needs 15 more years 60 receptions. He needs 11.5 more years of 1047 yard seasons. He needs 12 more 9 td seasons. Cmon I dont see that now and I dont know that anyone would claim he has HOF possibilities.

Hes simply not worth the risk of tying 13 million up with out having the luxury of recouping that money for injuries to possibly use to pay another player. Now if he demonstrates his foot can withstand the rigors of an NFL season sure sign him, its too early right now.

He's 23 years old, and you're emotionally involved here. I specifically said I'm NOT saying he goes there, but he has that type of talent. Given the right situation, who knows? (TO isn't in yet because he's an ass, everyone knows that, but he'll get in, despite all the drops early in his career.) Just pick and choose as you like.

Completely incorrect. They are making the wildly stupid decision to let him go. And they will get nothing, It's inevitable.

Picking up the option made him trade-able even if would be ill advised. McDermott has cornered himself with an illogical move.

McDermott should earn the right to win by not acting emotionally. In this case it looks like he is more interested in giving Sammy the perception of being punished than he is in helping the Bills. It's weird and it's dumb. Hopefully he will learn from this stupid mistake.

You have everything backwards here

punished?

I don't know what else to call it.

If the Bills want to trade Sammy now this hurts them.

If they want to trade him in a year it hurts them.

If they want to keep him, the move hurts them.

If they want to keep him this year and let him walk for nothing.....the move makes sense......but that objective is completely inconceivable. If they don't want him after this year, why do they want him this year at all? Just cut him.

So the only logical conclusion could be:

1. McDermott is stupid. Does he look or sound stupid to you? Not to me.

2. They already know that he won't be healed by a year from now. Does that sound likely? Not to me...I guess it is possible though.

3. They have decided to hurt the team's position. Why? So they can hurt Sammy more? So some sort of Alpha male thing can be established? Put Sammy in his place. i.e.. punishment.

I liked Whaley but I can see the reasoning behind letting him go. I can buy the timing and can pretty much reconcile everything about how it was done. I don't see McDermott as some sort of backstabber in that scenario despite thinking Whaley got a series of tough breaks. With Watkins though, none of it makes sense. There was zero logical reason to withhold the option while lesser players all over the league are getting theirs pick up. So far I've liked McDermott but shudder to think he could be trying to turn into Mr. Macho like Greggo or Marrone. I still give him the benefit of the doubt and would say I like him overall so far, but calling this anything but dumb is just not correct.

You have everything backwards here

No, you do.

And it really isn't even an opinion. It is a plain and provable fact. The ONLY thing that could explain otherwise is if the Bills already know he has some injury that will never heal. We'd probably all know that by now.

@AdamSchefter

Sammy Watkins now in a great position. If he plays up to his capabilities, he will be one of the most sought-after free agents next winter.

It's a big "if". I've been waiting for him to play up to his capabilities for the past 4 years. Edited by RaoulDuke79

He's 23 years old, and you're emotionally involved here. I specifically said I'm NOT saying he goes there, but he has that type of talent. Given the right situation, who knows? (TO isn't in yet because he's an ass, everyone knows that, but he'll get in, despite all the drops early in his career.) Just pick and choose as you like.

Im not emotionally involved the kid is averaging 819.66 yards, 12.33 games, and 5,67tds per year and you want to allocate 8 percent of the teams salary cap fully guaranteed against injury for production that could be that or less? The team knows Sammys not 100%. You are the emotionally vested one here that is blinded by unreached potential and past costs instead of the teams best interests.

No, you do.

And it really isn't even an opinion. It is a plain and provable fact. The ONLY thing that could explain otherwise is if the Bills already know he has some injury that will never heal. We'd probably all know that by now.

The Bills don't have $13mm worth of confidence that Sammy will stay healthy and fulfill his potential. A few foot surgeries will do that. It's a far cry from knowing he'll never heal. Risking $13mm if he fails instead of $4mm if he doesn't is not the smart move.

Im not emotionally involved the kid is averaging 819.66 yards, 12.33 games, and 5,67tds per year and you want to allocate 8 percent of the teams salary cap fully guaranteed against injury for production that could be that or less? The team knows Sammys not 100%. You are the emotionally vested one here that is blinded by unreached potential and past costs instead of the teams best interests.

Again, you have lost track of my original point. How would McD be viewed if Sammy goes on to have the career so many expected of him when he was drafted? Whaley was crucified since that moment the trade was announced. Sammy still has the same talent, but has injury issues. You keep changing it to should we or shouldn't we. I have an opinion there, but I'm not willing to spend the energy arguing that. (Yes, I'd keep him as history says the foot takes a couple years and he should be better. But I'll ignore any argument on that front as there is no correct answer at this point.)

How much crap would McD get?

Again, you have lost track of my original point. How would McD be viewed if Sammy goes on to have the career so many expected of him when he was drafted? Whaley was crucified since that moment the trade was announced. Sammy still has the same talent, but has injury issues. You keep changing it to should we or shouldn't we. I have an opinion there, but I'm not willing to spend the energy arguing that. (Yes, I'd keep him as history says the foot takes a couple years and he should be better. But I'll ignore any argument on that front as there is no correct answer at this point.)

How much crap would McD get?

mwhis stopping Mcdermott from signing Sammy if its shown that his foot can withstand a 16 game season. Thats the point thats eacaped you. If it cant I dont blame them for not keeping Watkins. You have to be on the field to contribute. Thats the point. It doesnt matter if Watkins had 6 200 yard games with 3 tds in each, if hea not on the field for the other 10 its not good for the team because a) you wont have money for another number one wr, b) your number two becomes your number 1 and so forth, c) as you seen last year the offense had to change with Sammy out. The kid needs to prove his foot is healed and if the foot is healed and he produces your scenario wont play out and you wont lose any sleep over it.

This is a serious mistake. First big one of the McDermott era.

This essentially means he's gone after next year. If he catches balls for 1200 yards and the Bills go to the playoffs, they'll lose their #1 wide receiver. Why? Because if that happens the Bills will have to break the bank to keep Tyrod and they won't be able to match the offers Sammy will get elsewhere.

Never, never, never give up on talent too early. If you haven't special talent that isn't playing up to the level you'd like, keep trying, because you want to still own the player when his play catches up to his talent. Much better to waste a year on talent that doesn't come around than to give up a year too early.

Can you say MARSHAWN?

This guy makes no sense since the same thing could happen 1 year later either way.

What's the difference? We are talking about 1 season.

mwhis stopping Mcdermott from signing Sammy if its shown that his foot can withstand a 16 game season. Thats the point thats eacaped you. If it cant I dont blame them for not keeping Watkins. You have to be on the field to contribute. Thats the point. It doesnt matter if Watkins had 6 200 yard games with 3 tds in each, if hea not on the field for the other 10 its not good for the team because a) you wont have money for another number one wr, b) your number two becomes your number 1 and so forth, c) as you seen last year the offense had to change with Sammy out. The kid needs to prove his foot is healed and if the foot is healed and he produces your scenario wont play out and you wont lose any sleep over it.

Oh Lordy! How many times can you miss my point? I'm not arguing if Sammy should get the 5th year option (though I admit I'd do it, but that's NOT the point!). So, how much grief would McD get if Sammy went on to a great career elsewhere? It was a throw away comment way back when I first made it, but you just keep missing the point! This is very tiring.

I'm not willing to argue whether Sammy is worth it - with you.

DC Tom has a phrase that fits this situation.

Edited by Augie

Hopkins been dealing with crappy QBs forever. Alston Jeffrey had cutler, Brandon Marshall had Fitzpatrick

My point exactly. Some of these guys expect him to put up elite numbers. The guys that put up elite numbers have elite QBs.