Bills Decline 5th Year Option on Sammy Watkins

I think he'll want to perform for the huge contract, and if he gets offered the huge contract here, he'll sign.

For me, the bigger issue is that the team has exposed themselves to the potential of losing him if they aren't willing to pony up the top-5 salary.

The route to a huge salary for Sammy in Buffalo was for them to pick up the option. This is a clear signal that the two will part ways after this upcoming season. I don't see a path to him remaining a Bill except for the franchise tag. If he has a poor season, then he will hit FA and take a short, prove it deal somewhere with a proven QB and an offense that can get him paid. Results from a mediocre or good season season will get him the same except with a better deal. A great, injury-free season could definitely get him tagged by Buffalo, but that would likely just keep him here one more season. I can't see both sides agreeing on a contract though. This FO isn't going to give him a huge deal because of his injury problems. If they were willing to gamble on those, then they'd have picked up his option.

• Replies 639
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is not a no confidence vote. It is a let's make sure you're heathy vote

Is it? If they knew SW was going to have a healthy and productive season in 2017, would the Bills pick up the option? Yes, they would. So how will SW think about this decision ? Not like a fan, he's going to think " all the work I've done and gotten injured and rehabbed and you don't want to risk paying me? " That's what he gets for his efforts. No doubt he will use that as a motivating factor if he is healthy , to play his way out of here. If he has that good season in 2017 , he will let them know he's not signing the tag.

You got to look at it from Sammys side. He definitely won't resign after being disrespected. So mail it in, so they don't franchise you.

I'd like someone to disrespect me with all the money he got.

It's only $2 million above the option Shaw. I think this was the right move. Not for Sammy's play but for his injury concerns. If he has another nagging lower leg injury this year that could have been $13 million in dead money... I'll pay the additional $2 million to find out what we have in Sammy.

The last I saw the estimate was $17m for the franchise tag, so $4m more. He would need some kind of year to warrant that. Either they sign him to a new long term contract or he walks. Edited by vincec

I'd like someone to disrespect me with all the money he got.

The last I saw the estimate was $17m for the franchise tag, so $4m more.

....2017 transition tag estimate is $13.3 million.....maybe $14+ mil in 2018.....so you're saving $7 mil for 2017 and get a "look" at his health and production......seems like a smart move IMO...........

@salsports

Sean McDermott has said numerous times earn the right to win. Looks like he's challenging Watkins to prove he can stay healthy and produce

...if that happens, Bills can still place franchise tag on Watkins (albeit at a higher cost) or workout extension. We'll see how 2017 goes

Who challenges McDermott? Can this guy win? I agree with your assessment on Sammy's health but it seems like the new regime wants their people.

....2017 transition tag estimate is $13.3 million.....maybe $14+ mil in 2018.....so you're saving $7 mil for 2017 and get a "look" at his health and production......seems like a smart move IMO...........

Transition tag? Interesting. That only gives them the right of first refusal with no compensation if he signs with someone else, right? What good is that?

Is it? If they knew SW was going to have a healthy and productive season in 2017, would the Bills pick up the option? Yes, they would. So how will SW think about this decision ? Not like a fan, he's going to think " all the work I've done and gotten injured and rehabbed and you don't want to risk paying me? " That's what he gets for his efforts. No doubt he will use that as a motivating factor if he is healthy , to play his way out of here. If he has that good season in 2017 , he will let them know he's not signing the tag.

You are not reading correctly. If they knew he was going to be healthy in 2017 this would be a non-issue

And Julio missed the same or more games than SW with the injury. If you can't make cuts / get in and out of breaks you may as well not be out there.

If he recovers and plays like Jones they'll be happy to throw a truckload of money at him

How do you figure they are " saving" anything for 2017.

Ridiculous. If he performs he gets extended.

He may not want to get extended here. He also can only perform as good as his QB

If he recovers and plays like Jones they'll be happy to throw a truckload of money at him

He will never play like Jones until he get a QB like Ryan.

Maybe they franchise him, but that costs $15 million and the Bills have no flexibility to spread that money.

We'll see how it works out.

They had nonflexibiltiy in spreading the 13. They can franchise him and workout a contrqct before the deadline if needed.