Bills Decline 5th Year Option on Sammy Watkins

Well if they did the option the chances of him leaving after this year are about nil. Without it they are pretty decent.

True on the first part, guess I'm just not buying the second part.

IF the Bills tag him, I find it hard to believe that he'd sit out a season, or force a trade, rather than re-sign with Buffalo. Just my opinion, of course...

• Replies 639
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not really, NFL knows his talent. He will a big contract no matter what.

Ridiculous. If he reinsures the foot again no one gives him a big contract. Even more ridiculous is suggesting he'll dog it. First it's against his nature and second you want to have a huge year before potential free agency.

I know I am in the minority here, but I believe this is a smart move.

His draft class has alot of Stud WRs in it. Most of them are getting 5th year options. The 2nd and 3rd rounders are not.

So what does this mean: He has a good/great season this year and they work out a solid contract for him or franchise tag him and continue it.

If they tagged him, they wouldnt be able to negotiate the new contract until next year when the other studs are getting significant raises and they are competiting number wise compared to age.

Cause if they tagged him off of the previous 5th year...that tag would be higher too because it has to be a percentage above his previous year salary.

or he refuses to sign franchise tag and forces a trade and we get nothing

it is basically that they are willing to pay him just not to pay him to be on IR. They want him to prove he's going to be durable and available. I think that unfortunately there are big questions about his foot.

Agree 100% (per usual Yolo :beer:)

or he refuses to sign franchise tag and forces a trade and we get nothing

if he forces a *trade* aren't we getting *something*?? :D

Edited by Heitz

IF the Bills tag him, I find it hard to believe that he'd sit out a season, or force a trade, rather than re-sign with Buffalo. Just my opinion, of course...

i think they could dangle the tag and then do multi year extension. If he doesn't want to play on the tag (worried about injury).

The 5th year option would have guaranteed Watkins $13,258,000. The transition tag, which allows the Bills a chance to match any contract, would cost $13.2 million. The same amount.

This was a smart move by the Bills. I fully expect Watkins to be transition tagged next year. The Bills wont lose Watkins unless he has a horrible injury plagued year again.

Edited by TheTruthHurts

Smart decisions please take off those ruby red glasses.... We have a coach whose defense was mediocre that cant judge talent who gave away draft picks for plan b players...... Would you rather have tre white or Ruben Foster at 27 along with your 2nd , two 3rds and 4 5ths and a 6 in a draft deep in CB and WR...... Tre white will never see a second contract Ruben foster will become an ALL PRO beast

Yeah passing on Foster was a mistake IMO.

I don't think he will either. When I say decent chance, I'm talking maybe 20-30%. Everything depends on this year. If he is healthy he is going to kill it. That remains to be seen. All reports so far is that he is right on schedule to be ready to go. That remains to be seen.

Ridiculous. If he reinsures the foot again no one gives him a big contract. Even more ridiculous is suggesting he'll dog it. First it's against his nature and second you want to have a huge year before potential free agency.

Not always, he may just want to stay healthy until he get that next contract. If he goes all out and gets another serious injury, he is done for good. I've seen it before and I wouldn't blame him.

I think you have to try and separate the decision to trade up for him with the decision to give him the 5th year option.

Clearly, at this point, it looks like a pretty bad move to trade up for SW. However...

At this point all that matters is what will happen this year and beyond. Unfortunately, I think there are real concerns that Sammy's foot is more than just hurt. Seems like it might be injured to the point of impacting his career. If that's the case, probably a prudent decision.

If it was another reason than that, horrible decision IMO.

Edited by dubs

You got to look at it from Sammys side. He definitely won't resign after being disrespected. So mail it in, so they don't franchise you.

If he does, he won't be on the field and other teams will take notice. Makes sense for him to take it like a man and play for the big contract.

That's baloney. For what the Bills gave up and the talent Watkins has shown while healthy it's an easy decision. There is some risk to guaranteeing money to an athlete and this is part of it. You don't play hardball with your most talented guy because he has a reoccurring injury.

Jones fractures have always caused extended problems in athletes and led to second surgeries. This is not Byrd telling people his feet are sore. This is well documented.

Losing a year of leverage for what? If Sammy has a slow start due to the foot do you think he is signing here for less than that tag? No.

It is sensible for both sides. Let's see how he plays. If as hoped for his foot does well and he tears it up, we have a ton of cap space next year to make him a big offer. Sounds like McD has had good conversations with him so no bridges are burned.

The 5th year option would have guaranteed Watkins $13,258,000. The transition tag, which allows the Bills a chance to match any contract, would cost $13.2 million. The same amount.

This was a smart move by the Bills. I fully expect Watkins to be transition tagged next year. The Bills wont lose Watkins unless he has a horrible injury plagued year again.

The contract he will get if he has a huge season will be 100m.