Help! Please talk me into McDermott - Can't See It

I'm not sold either but winning will change everything. Some fans see all this change and seem to love it because of you change 17 years of a losing culture then that may equate to wins but that's not certain. He could be Chip Kelly'ing this franchise for all we know. But, if he wins then he's brilliant.

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think these are the reasons people are so enamored by McDermott -

1. He is NOT Wrecks

2. He is Not Whaley

3. He is not Brandon

THE reason is mostly because he looks nothing like those other familiar things we've seen that results in LOSING.

On top of all of the things McDermott is NOT he is, for now, all that our dreams can HOPE for.

Today he is a dream come true. September will be the great awakening...

THAT is what concerns me. We all know that the Pegulas are easily impressed and perhaps influenced.

Wrecks took them for a short ride fortunately they got out fast. NOTHING says they are not being hoodwinked again only this time the stakes are MUCH LARGER.

Sorry guys there have been a plethora of coaches come and go and we convinced ourselves to believe...(whatever). Here we are decades later - fool me once - can't get fooled again.

2014: 9-7

2015: 8-8

2016: 7-9

I don't see the disaster. The last time we had competent coaching (yes... and we all know it) the team went 9-7. We were literally a Bryce Brown fumble going into the endzone away from 10-6 and probably playoffs and probably Marrone still here as practically untouchable.

No reason to think that a guy whose idea of a day off is only working 9 hours can't get that extra win and get us to 10-6.

Give the guy a chance.....

EXACTLY!!!!

The friggin' season hasn't even started. Currently, we are undefeated!! So far, I like what I see and hear (not hear, actually!! big difference!!!). I liked all the moves in the draft. McCoach seems focused, intense and determined to build a long-term winner here. He reminds me a bit of Belichick - no nonsense, 100% focused on football. I like it and won't change my opinion until mid-December when we are either completely out of it or ready for the playoffs.

GO BILLS!!!!!

You wanna make a determination before he coaches a game for us?

hardcore man

In the rush to be right we have no time for facts or actual results!!

You wanna make a determination before he coaches a game for us?

hardcore man

Not at all. Wouldn't call it a determination. Just seeing things that were hitting me wrong and actually wanted counter opinions so I could take a more balanced view. Either way, there's no knowing until we see him in action. Agreed.

If someone can talk you into it, your convictions are frugle at best.

How about you formulate your own opinion and go from there?

Cause I mean if all it takes it being talked into it, how about lending me some money?

I don't understand the whole premise of being talked into liking or disliking our new HC at the point. I'm from Missouri. You have to show me. I can listen and think "sounds good" or watch what happens and think "hmm, unsure" but it all means nothing until the team takes the field next Fall. Then either we show up disciplined, focused, and ready to play with a good game plan the players go hard to execute, or we don't.

I wasn't happy when we hired Rex but I was willing to withhold judgement until I saw the product on the field. Then it was steadily increasing sense of nausea culminating in opening day last fall when I changed names.

I'm not sure you know what "frugal" means, but thanks for the advice.

I think he might have meant "fragile" but unsure.

In the rush to be right we have no time for facts or actual results!!

Dude, nowhere do I say that I'm right. I may well be completely off base.

Just wanted to have some dialogue around different people's reads on the guy so far. And of course facts and results as they emerge will tell the story. But it would be a pretty boring offseason if no one shared any reactions to what's going on at OBD.

Disclaimer: This is a sincere attempt to understand what others see in McDermott. Not trying to start an argument, as I don't think we have enough info for a meaningful conclusion right now either way.

But I am really struggling with this guy so far. And I am an optimist by nature and have pretty much talked myself into every single Bills coach (at least during their first preseason) over the past four decades.

Here's what worries me:

-Never says anything remotely interesting. Buttoned-down corporate speak all the way. And I know there is value in keeping your thoughts to yourself, but this kind of say-nothing style doesn't necessarily mask deep thoughts. It often means the person actually has no insight. The way he communicates publicly completely reminds me of Russ Brandon. That is not a good thing, in my opinion.

-Seems to have read a few too many leadership books. He seems like he is trying to manufacture himself into a leader through notes and aphorisms and process. I am beyond skeptical of that approach in any organizational context. He doesn't seem comfortable in his skin to me - even the way he fidgets around in press conferences. He seems like a guy who loves the idea of being a leader, but hasn't discovered his own authentic approach. Feels like he's playing dress-up. (Again, screams Russ Brandon.)

-Seems technocratic - thinks success will come primarily through control, detail, process. All well and good at times, but nowhere near enough to manage the seething, human, multi-variable complexity that is any football team.

-Role in the Whaley affair is unclear, but optics do look like a bit of a backstabbing power grab. I admit this could be TOTALLY off.

Here's what I like:

-People he's worked with seem to like the guy.

-Reportedly does a good job of connecting to and caring about players as individuals.

-I have mad respect for Andy Reid, so I like the tree.

I admit, my negatives are superficial and based on my own cursory observations, whereas the positives are substantive and based on the experience and testimony of people who have worked with him.

But right now I just have the feeling he is in over his head, but has impressed the Pegulas with his organized approach, attention to detail, and stoic wrestler manner - none of which will make him a good coach IMO.

I really hope I'm wrong, and I'm totally prepared to fall in love with the guy as things play out. But I can't remember feeling this cold about a hire. Even Marrone who came off as a total tool early on, somehow convinced me he might have something.

He is straight garbage ....his defensive rankings go as follows 21st 6th 10th 2nd (with Greg Hardy) 10th(with Greg Hardy) and 27th. So he is a middle of the road D=coordinator. .

You know what the players also liked Rex, Dick Jauron , Greg Williams how far did that get him.

His defense was clueless against Denver in the Super Bowl

He wants his schill of a front office buddy in Carolina who strong suit is not evaluating talent

This is another Greg Williams type hire..... I've decided not to renew my club seats sect 231 row1 seats 5-10 because this coach and owner is turning this organization back to the country bumpkin joke that it is. I might as well waste my 12K on a couple trips

Sean McDermott wakes up before sunrise for one main reason:

To punch mediocrity right in the freaking throat, before it can creep its way into the building.

He should have done that in Carolina then as his defenses has been mediocre

Disclaimer: This is a sincere attempt to understand what others see in McDermott. Not trying to start an argument, as I don't think we have enough info for a meaningful conclusion right now either way.

But I am really struggling with this guy so far. And I am an optimist by nature and have pretty much talked myself into every single Bills coach (at least during their first preseason) over the past four decades.

Here's what worries me:

-Never says anything remotely interesting. Buttoned-down corporate speak all the way. And I know there is value in keeping your thoughts to yourself, but this kind of say-nothing style doesn't necessarily mask deep thoughts. It often means the person actually has no insight. The way he communicates publicly completely reminds me of Russ Brandon. That is not a good thing, in my opinion.

-Seems to have read a few too many leadership books. He seems like he is trying to manufacture himself into a leader through notes and aphorisms and process. I am beyond skeptical of that approach in any organizational context. He doesn't seem comfortable in his skin to me - even the way he fidgets around in press conferences. He seems like a guy who loves the idea of being a leader, but hasn't discovered his own authentic approach. Feels like he's playing dress-up. (Again, screams Russ Brandon.)

-Seems technocratic - thinks success will come primarily through control, detail, process. All well and good at times, but nowhere near enough to manage the seething, human, multi-variable complexity that is any football team.

-Role in the Whaley affair is unclear, but optics do look like a bit of a backstabbing power grab. I admit this could be TOTALLY off.

Here's what I like:

-People he's worked with seem to like the guy.

-Reportedly does a good job of connecting to and caring about players as individuals.

-I have mad respect for Andy Reid, so I like the tree.

I admit, my negatives are superficial and based on my own cursory observations, whereas the positives are substantive and based on the experience and testimony of people who have worked with him.

But right now I just have the feeling he is in over his head, but has impressed the Pegulas with his organized approach, attention to detail, and stoic wrestler manner - none of which will make him a good coach IMO.

I really hope I'm wrong, and I'm totally prepared to fall in love with the guy as things play out. But I can't remember feeling this cold about a hire. Even Marrone who came off as a total tool early on, somehow convinced me he might have something.

To date he has not been photographed on a bicycle built for two with his DC.Past that wait for the season to grade him.

Again agree with most of what you said and seems to be a good evaluator of talent based on the draft... still begs the question can he coach and no he doesnt have 3 years, two at best.... option on third with the talent on this tean now if he can coach?

Again people around here are looking from rose color glasses. He passes a top 10 linebacker at 27 to get a mediocre CB in a deep CB/WR draft.

New Orleans and San Fran was tripping over themselves to get to him because they couldn't believe micky-d was that stupid. I would much rather have Reuben Foster , a top 10 player , with my 2nd rd pick ; 2 3rd rd picks 4-5th round picks in a deep CB/WR draft. Then he trades 3&5 to get Zay Jones make matters worse he trades a 3 and 2-5ths for a guard .....That is not a person stockpiling talent in a deep CB/WR draft that's a fool not looking at the long term health of the franchise...... The two LB he grabbed both (6' 215) weighed less than some available taller heavier CB & safeties that had starting grades ....... He wanted them for special teams really what is his track record that states he knows talent .......he doesn't have one.

The reason people like this draft is because Whaley was working with the Chiefs GM for a week according to the Chiefs To get a next year number 1 .... That wasn't Micky-d

Edited by liverpoolkev