Help! Please talk me into McDermott - Can't See It

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Last Guy, I see the same things as you. He does remind me of Marrone when he runs around saying "earning the right to win."

With Marrone, I always felt he talked like he knew everything. Every situation, he'd been there, done that. While I think McDermott has a much better resume because of the length of his coordinator posts and mentors, I wonder when his holier than though approach will get old.

Edited by Straight Hucklebuck

I'm not sure that I think McD is good or bad or whatever. I guess I hope for the best.

To me, it seems that a franchise that is willing to clear everyone else out and hand the reigns to a first time head coach lacks a compass. By way of example, the Steelers didn't hire Mike Tomlin and hand him the keys to the franchise. Instead, they have a sense of what they are as an organization and they hire personnel to fit their formula. It smacks as desperation that we are willing to put so much responsibility at the feet of an unproven coach. What does that say about the Bills?

I'm not sure that I think McD is good or bad or whatever. I guess I hope for the best.

To me, it seems that a franchise that is willing to clear everyone else out and hand the reigns to a first time head coach lacks a compass. By way of example, the Steelers didn't hire Mike Tomlin and hand him the keys to the franchise. Instead, they have a sense of what they are as an organization and they hire personnel to fit their formula. It smacks as desperation that we are willing to put so much responsibility at the feet of an unproven coach. What does that say about the Bills?

Pegullibles.

I'm only speculating, but it appears McDermott may not have used much help from the Bills scouting department or GM in determing how the 2017 draft was carried out. If the draft itself turns out to be one of the better Bills drafts in recent history,

what does that tell you?

Edited by Figster

What is there about Pegula firing Whaley which leads you to conclude Brandon will be purged? Pegula has publically stated Russ will be part of the GM hiring process. The gossip on Whaley is "he's so far up Pegula's butt he can see Russ Brandon's feet".

No GM bats 1.00 on talent acquisition. GMs properly don't have W-L records, especially ones extending to the start of their tenure (when the other guy's roster is in place).

But the #1 thing that makes a GM successful or unsuccessful at talent acquisition/retention is consistency in coaching and scheme, and that, there can be no question, Whaley lacked.

Again: I'm not against Whaley being fired, just because I'm tired of the whole "was it this guys move, was it that guys move" divided responsibility thing. Let McDermott take the credit ...and the blame. Let him have his own GM and scouts and succeed or fail as a package.

From this thread, http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/193485-tg-on-whaley-mcd-sounds-to-be-in-charge-update/?do=findComment&comment=4343820

"And things have changed/are changing. Once Whaley is gone, Brandon's last link to what happens on the field will be, too."

The changing of the guard in Buffalo looks to be finally happening.