Like or dislike the future of the Bills Organization

I don't think he's terrible, nor is he amazing, but we're all guessing unless we know what his actual role was, along with what Russ & the Pegulas could override him on.

Very true. It literally is a mystery as to what his job duties entailed and I think that was the problem from the get go. We had a GM who wasn't allowed to be a GM for the most part.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Let's pretend (just for a moment) that you know this for sure. What are some examples?

Just a few things that have been reported by the Buffalo news, SI and PFT.

He didn't fire Rex Ryan - Pegula's decision.

He didn't hire Rex Ryan - Pegula & Russ - remember Russ "Don't let him out of the building?" to Terry?

His first choice for 2017 coach was Anthony Lynn - ignored.

He wanted Tyrod Taylor gone - ignored (Dennison offense fit?)

Rex, Brandon and Pegulas met with Tom Coughlin over football czar role - Whaley not involved.

Tim Graham question to Pegula last year:

“You mentioned Russ Brandon not being involved in football, but [he] has been on the scene with myriad football matters such as Rex’s hiring, in the draft room, at the Scouting Combine, where he meets with agents about player contracts. We even hear he breaks down film with scouts. . . . How is Russ’ role defined?”

Feel free to scoff and say "All is well", that's your call, but that's from 5 minutes of digging. I would argue there is a pattern of questionable behavior that minimized Whaley's role at the organization.

Edited by TheElectricCompany

I am drinking the Koolaid. As long as Pegula stays the course with McD, gets a GM that can work well with Coach, which given the results over the weekend I believe he will, and doesn't waste his money on hookers and blow things are going to work out.

Picking up an extra first next year shows me that OBD has a plan. A plan that is foundational and not flashy. Build through the draft for a core of young talent that gels together, which should build great chemistry for the long term.

I am hopeful the Team is trying to emulate the model in Pittsburgh. Hire a good young coach and stick with him. McD is from a solid tree and has been in successful organizations so he knows what it looks like. He also seems to be smart enough to be humble enough to learn from mistakes.

He didn't hire Rex Ryan - Pegula & Russ - remember Russ "Don't let him out of the building?" to Terry?

Rex, Brandon and Pegulas met with Tom Coughlin over football czar role - Whaley not involved.

“You mentioned Russ Brandon not being involved in football, but [he] has been on the scene with myriad football matters such as Rex’s hiring, in the draft room, at the Scouting Combine, where he meets with agents about player contracts. We even hear he breaks down film with scouts. . . . How is Russ’ role defined?”

Feel free to scoff and say "All is well", that's your call, but that's from 5 minutes of digging. I would argue there is a pattern of questionable behavior that minimized Whaley's role at the organization.

Yes. Some may scoff at this, but it is not an exaggeration to say that Dennison is here because of Tyrod and Tyrod is here because of Dennison. Whether that marriage pays off remains to be seen.

I am drinking the Koolaid. As long as Pegula stays the course with McD, gets a GM that can work well with Coach, which given the results over the weekend I believe he will, and doesn't waste his money on hookers and blow things are going to work out.

Picking up an extra first next year shows me that OBD has a plan. A plan that is foundational and not flashy. Build through the draft for a core of young talent that gels together, which should build great chemistry for the long term.

I am hopeful the Team is trying to emulate the model in Pittsburgh. Hire a good young coach and stick with him. McD is from a solid tree and has been in successful organizations so he knows what it looks like. He also seems to be smart enough to be humble enough to learn from mistakes.

1st...money for hookers and blow is not a waste...2nd.....why do people have confidence Pegulas will finally get it right and why is McDermott so loved here? What has he done?

The front office and the coaching changes are all meaningless unless we get a franchise qb. If we already had one there would be no shakeups at all because we'd be winning playoff games and it would make everything OK.

With that in mind, all I care about from management is trading back or trading players and getting future picks until the next Andrew Luck comes along and we have the balls, risk tolerance and saved picks to make the move.

So when the OP asks if im happy with the direction of the team, if that direction is a complete obsession with finding a franchise qb even at the risk of a winless season then I say yes.

You can have the best coach, front office and ownership in the NFL but it means nothing unless you have the QB. This draft basically replaced Gilmore and Woods, we aren't way ahead by any means, but we did get the KC first round pick, and that's the only thing I care about.

Maybe he should have stronger opinions, then.

If Whaley was adamantly against hiring Rex, Rex wouldn't have been hired.

It's pretty well-documented that Whaley wanted Tyrod gone. Which means It makes no sense that Lynn was Whaley's first choice for HC. Those are massive contradictions and I don't believe it.

The more Whaley proved his incompetence, he more his role was minimized.

Maybe he should have stronger opinions, then.

If Whaley was adamantly against hiring Rex, Rex wouldn't have been hired.

It's pretty well-documented that Whaley wanted Tyrod gone. Which means It makes no sense that Lynn was Whaley's first choice for HC. Those are massive contradictions and I don't believe it.

The more Whaley proved his incompetence, he more his role was minimized.

It was from the MMQB article, here is the link:

https://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2017/04/30/buffalo-bills-dysfunction-doug-whaley-fired-after-draft-sean-mcdemott-terry-kim-pegula

I am now buying that Whaley simply needed to try harder. If your GM is regularly ignored or overruled, that is a definition of a dysfunctional franchise. For some reason, he was such a bad GM that he was getting ignored 2+ years ago, but we just fired him yesterday? It's hilarious.

I feel like maybe things might be getting better. Hard to say till we see the GM, though.

And I've thought things might be looking up a couple of times before in the 16 year slump.

I tend to like McDermott but doubt the Pegulas and their ability to pick a good GM. They should have kept LaFontaine and they should have hired a czar for the Bills and bowed out, and they should probably do that now. And I don't think they will.

What it would take for me is an open GM search where Bills seek the best candidates and don't demand the new GM be the chief scout for McDermott. That would increase my faith in the Bills short term and long term future.

Well said and we all know that isn't the case. Simon hinted on it earlier, but I am not loving McDs vibe at all; he comes across kinda douchey actually. I am also not a fan of going all-in with a first-time head coach and giving him total control...

Love it, ounce we get our franchise QB next year it's smooth sailing.

In McDermott we trust !

So his religion is keeping him from coaching properly ? Hasn't been a problem thus far.

And how is he not humble, state specific instances of his arrogance ?

Gotta agree. Great coaches are usually disliked by some/many and are thought of as arrogant. We often mistake confidence and competence as arrogance because most people cover their relatives incompetence with fake confidence.

I like the direction the Bills are headed. I think McD has the right approach to things and hopefully it pays off with making the franchise relevant. I like that Pegula is not afraid to make tough choices. He is a now severing ties with the previous Bills staff. A clean slate moving into the future. Will it pay off? who knows but at least he isnt sitting by allowing the status quo.

Simple as it states in the title. Do you like the way forward Bills Organization is moving?

Do you dislike the way forward the Bills Organization is moving?

Are you on the fence?

Im pretty thrilled thus far. I have my reservations about the abilities of some of the picks, however, Im reasonable and give the kids enough time to show me what they have or have not.

I feel as though for once in the last decade or so since Wade was here things could be moving in a way that would finally make our franchise relevant.

We have an owner that just proves he will not settle for mediocrity/average.

We have an owner that isnt afraid to spend.

We have little holdovers from the Wilson years.

We just filled some very needed holes that had been looked over for a while.

We have what appears to be if healthy a very capable Wr, te, and rb.

We have qb that doesnt lose you games.

I finally feel there is HOPE!

I agree with your points and I am CAUTIOUSLY optimistic

I like the direction the Bills are headed. I think McD has the right approach to things and hopefully it pays off with making the franchise relevant. I like that Pegula is not afraid to make tough choices. He is a now severing ties with the previous Bills staff. A clean slate moving into the future. Will it pay off? who knows but at least he isnt sitting by allowing the status quo.

Even if they're always wrong?

Even if they're always wrong?

Why because he hired Rex? Some decisions dont work. Firing people while still having to pay them their contract or firing good people because the production is not there are not easy things to do.

Rookie HC, no GM, owners making the decisions (Bills and Sabres), Brandon still involved (Bills and Sabres). Except for the hope that the new HC turns out well and the seemingly good draft (and the two 1st's next draft), at first glance it looks like ineptitude at it's finest.

My football fan friends from all over have been laughing their asses off since Whaley and the scouts got the axe right after the draft. It could go very well for the Bills, and the Sabres too for that matter. Lightning could strike and god may look down on the Bills and smile. After all, they say God loves idiots - that's why he made so many of them. We'll know a bit more when a GM gets hired. And a lot more after the next draft.

Why because he hired Rex? Some decisions dont work. Firing people while still having to pay them their contract or firing good people because the production is not there are not easy things to do.

The wise and tough decision, IMO, is if he would recognize he doesn't have any !@#$ing idea what he is doing and hire someone who does for both teams. Not name goddamn Brandon president of both teams and continue to hire people himself.

Edited by CodeMonkey

This has nothing to do with being the smartest man in the room and everything to do with seeing what everyone else has seen for years.

Mcdermott was assertive in changing the narrative here, wouldn't call that trying to be the smartest man in the room. Especially considering the no playoffs in 17 years and being a team with one of the least amount of draft picks actually on the roster...

Exactly, thank you McD and thank you to the Pegs.

I wish all the negative nancies around here would embrace this most positive move, because you're killing my buzz.