Thank you Doug Whaley

Doug,

Thank you. Thank you for returning this franchise to relevancy. This was a farce of a professional franchise. It was a joke. Many college teams were better run than this place. Old ownership was living off the goodwill of his legacy and not on recent performance. Your arrival and turn as GM marks the first time this franchise had professionals running it since the early 90s. And as my analysis showed, you didn't do a bad job actually.

But people in the area did not warm up to your cool analytical personality. Nor your tight lip ways win the following of old-school sports journalists of the area who relied on "inside information" instead of doing actual work to do their job. Thus they began a negative campaign for your head. And by the looks of it, they have succeeded. That's a shame. Because you did a decent job here. I hope you grow from this. We all need friends in many places. Just doing your job doesn't get it done anymore.

You did a solid job with first round picks. It's not your fault they haven't been able to stay on the field for whole seasons. That medical staff did you no favors. Jerry Hughes was a great FA signing. We are going to miss your ability to find gems in the scrap heap or in mid rounds. Like Lonzo. Zack Brown. But all things must come to an end. This is the NFL. Not For Long. So long Doug.

Best wishes

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Doug,
Best wishes

Classy post and I agree with it word for word. Best wishes, Doug. If it means anything, this is the best thing that could have happened to your career. Hopefully you wont be part of such a messed up organization in the future. Hope the Steelers have a place for you.

Doug. If it means anything, this is the best thing that could have happened to your career. Hopefully you wont be part of such a messed up organization in the future.

That is the one saving grace that I am taking from this move.

A good man has been released from a total shithole of an organization.

Being a head coach or GM in the NFL are among the toughest jobs one can do. Football teams are in the business of winning and have more moving parts than any other in sports. Owners, GMs, coaches, players and support staff are continually changing, it's the culture of the business. It is the ultimate team game among those playing on the field and those in supporting roles and a very unexact science at the same time. Winning requires execution by many and some luck and when that doesn't happen, change happens. Much of the on-field success is in the hands of very young men (players) who are very early in their adult lives.

Doug may hurt for a short while but he'll be fine. He's got a lot of experience now to draw upon and will learn from that. We should expect that he'll pick himself up, dust himself off and take on another challenge in the football world soon. Wish him much success and happiness in the future.

If you are reading this Doug, let me say it was obvious you were in a bad situation from the get go. From Marrone to the Ryan Brothers, to McDermott, you were expected to be a team guy, but got left holding the bag for their bad decisions. Hope your next job is saner.