GM Doug Whaley has been fired

IMO, these things were largely achieved in spite of Whaley. Most of the D was already there & Schwartz was Marrone's guy. And I doubt we would've had a top 10 offense if EJ was our starter, which is likely the way Whaley would have wanted it.

If Whaley really didn't want Rex, I don't believe for a second that he voiced his opinion on it. Instead, he was comparing finding Rex to finding the person you're going to marry, and gushing over the fact that their vision of team building was so closely aligned that they could complete each other's sentences. A yes man GM is a terrible fit for rookie owners, who need someone to give it to them straight.

So all the good that happened was in spite of him, all the bad was because of him. Got it, nice fair and balanced critique.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nix may have made the final call on the pick but Whaley constantly owned it. He himself said if EJ didn't work out he'd be out of a job. He traded a future 1st round pick for a WR. There is no way you can say Whaley wasn't fully on board with EJ as our starter.

What is he supposed to say? Really?

So all the good that happened was in spite of him, all the bad was because of him. Got it, nice fair and balanced critique.

It seems you've summed that up neatly. Some people can't get past emotion to a place where things are balanced and reasonable. Not the best, not the worst....but in the middle somewhere.

It seems you've summed that up neatly. Some people can't get past emotion to a place where things are balanced and reasonable. Not the best, not the worst....but in the middle somewhere.

I didn't say he was the worst; I just don't think he's good enough. I've given examples of why I feel that way. Why not discuss what's actually being said instead of exaggerating it?

I didn't say he was the worst; I just don't think he's good enough. I've given examples of why I feel that way. Why not discuss what's actually being said instead of exaggerating it?

Exaggerating what? I said not the best, not the worst, but in the middle. Would I love improvement? Sure. But I do not like all the pure haters. It's tiring and, quite frankly, not very....pleasant to be around.

Exaggerating what? I said not the best, not the worst, but in the middle. Would I love improvement? Sure. But I do not like all the pure haters. It's tiring and, quite frankly, not very....pleasant to be around.

OK, but you were agreeing with a guy who misstated my... ah, forget it.

I still think that Whaley has put together a pretty talented team that underperformed due to coaching, in fact much more talented than Bills teams of the past. The only downfall, not finding a top 10 QB so far. If a GM gets fired just based on that, then that puts any GM in a bad place until they get lucky, essentially. Very few QBs coming out are sure thing top 10 QBs.

I really hate how much power McD is getting. Why we are treating this guy like Belichick is beyond me.

This was hands down the least impressed I have been with a draft and UDFA in a very long time. I think McD is going way too far with valuing players with "high character" and multiple years of production. You need to take chances in this league.

So i'm just starting to read this thread and came across this. I get the power thing but am not sure that it was instituted by McD. Maybe Pegs decided the last time Whales spoke in front of amicrophone should be the last time. You wouldn't disagree with that would you? Further, imo if this is the least impressed you've been with our draft in a very long time I wonder if you are Dick Jauron?

I really liked the MCD hire and have been on board with him and most of the off season moves and now draft...

but I have to say, if Whaley is indeed fired tomorrow, I will have lost a bit of respect for both him and the Pegulas.

http://www.carolinahuddle.com/boards/topic/138039-bills-courting-brandon-beane-richardson-would-be-ticked/

One poster's comment:

"Losing a guy like Beane could be devastating to the franchise."

Another:

"I'm also skeptical that a "finance guy" can be taught to be a great talent evaluator, no matter how much he's shadowed Gettleman."

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

Get over myself? Bloviate? Zero winning records since he has been in this organization "evaluating tallent" Beating a Pats team that wasn't trying to go 9-7 is 8-8. But feel free to continue to accept mediocrity.

Yeah you don't accept mediocrity yet they've duped you into spending your time on a Buffalo Bills site. How exactly do you prove you personally reject mediocrity?

someone aka not me should post links to all the people saying Whaley is gone. My guess would be everyone is running off that VC report. Basically one guy said it,and then a lot of guys in the media just ran with what the first guy said. If I see Schefter report it,then ill start believing Whaley is out. Like it or not,hes still the gold standard. Anythng else is hearsay. Especially TG. He got ran off this board back in the day for being someone who just tries to stir the pot.LaCanfora is a hack,and Carucci is hit or miss as well. And Sullivans not even relevant.

Edited by mob16151

Not sure he would know this, but Jerry Sullivan weeted this;

"False report, Pegula wants to right the ship. Whaley back to scouting and McDermott will handle 53."

This is what I've been wondering with Simon indicating Whaley is safe. Would he be happier in a scouting role, out of the crosshairs? I'd love to see that happen, I think Doug could continue to help the org in that kind of role.

I am baffled by this. There had to be some kind of schism between McDermott and Whaley and Pegula chose McDermott. The irony in this is they had a great draft so they're going to fire the GM and all the scouts. LOL. Dysfunction anybody?