[closed]If Mahomes is good.

we will never live it down

I disagree mostly because he was never on anyone's radar. It would be different if Mahomes was considered a top prospect and half the fans wanted him. Think Cleveland passing on both Goff and Wentz last year. If either of those guys become a franchise player than that is something that would be hard to get over. Mahomes, if he becomes a franchise guy, would simply be like us passing on Carr, Wilson or Dak.

And, by the time Mahomes develops into a franchise guy, we might have our own franchise QB too. And if that is the case, will anyone here care?

Should Whaley be fired immediately?

Good under the coaching staff that feels he's a good fit for the team and system you mean?

Even if Mahomes is successful under Reid it doesn't mean the same success happens with other organizations.

Failure under one organization/systems as a young QB prospect does not always mean an end of a QB's NFL career.

I don't really like that logic.

That's like saying if we drafted Tom Brady, David Carr, Dak Prescott, etc they all wouldn't be good just because we wouldn't develop them right.

A good player is a good player.

I think that's true at some sort of baseline level, but I still agree with kelly for the most part. We've seen previously successful QBs start out okay, even great, and then languish following a coaching change.

Then why was Alex Smith terrible for 4-5 years until Jim Harbaugh and Andy Reid got hold of him.

And he was, iirc, number one overall.

Most definitely.

Good under the coaching staff that feels he's a good fit for the team and system you mean?

Even if Mahomes is successful under Reid it doesn't mean the same success happens with other organizations.

Failure under one organization/systems as a young QB prospect does not always mean an end of a QB's NFL career.

Obviously Aaron Rodgers is endlessly and inarguably way, way better than JP Losman. But, it would be interesting to see how their careers would have been different if they were switched. IMO Aaron Rodgers would have got killed on the Bills as a rookie starter and crappy coaching and blocking. Eventually, like, say, Steve Young, who I think is one of the very best QBs of all time, Rodgers would excel. And Losman would likely fail. But he would have been a lot better sitting for three years and getting great coaching. Brady would have likely sucked on the Bills in those first few years of his.

Obviously Aaron Rodgers is endlessly and inarguably way, way better than JP Losman. But, it would be interesting to see how their careers would have been different if they were switched. IMO Aaron Rodgers would have got killed on the Bills as a rookie starter and crappy coaching and blocking. Eventually, like, say, Steve Young, who I think is one of the very best QBs of all time, Rodgers would excel. And Losman would likely fail. But he would have been a lot better sitting for three years and getting great coaching. Brady would have likely sucked on the Bills in those first few years of his.

You really don't know what getting twisted up like a pretzel a few times might do to a young signal callers confidence.( TE )

You really don't know what getting twisted up like a pretzel a few times might do to a young signal callers confidence.( TE )

Exactly. Confidence is huge but it needs to be based on success in the NFL. All of these guys have huge confidence in themselves coming out of college. But it's a completely different game. Some guys who are thrown to the wolves right away never really regain their confidence. Then again, Steve Young was #1 overall, got killed, was horrible for a couple years, went to SF, got with Bill Walsh, and became one of the best ever. So I do believe eventually Aaron Rodgers would have became the Aaron Rodgers we know after several years. But I truly think he would have sucked as bad as Losman in those first few years with no experience, terrible coaching and few weapons and woefully bad OL.

There is some truth to it. When is the last time the Pats had a bad QB in their system? Do they really draft better QBs then everyone else or do they also have a very good system that helps the QBs?

They draft bad QBs all the time, like Ryan Mallet. They aren't immune to the bad personnel decisions bug, they're just lucky af to have the best antidote to it aka Brady.

Exactly. Confidence is huge but it needs to be based on success in the NFL. All of these guys have huge confidence in themselves coming out of college. But it's a completely different game. Some guys who are thrown to the wolves right away never really regain their confidence. Then again, Steve Young was #1 overall, got killed, was horrible for a couple years, went to SF, got with Bill Walsh, and became one of the best ever. So I do believe eventually Aaron Rodgers would have became the Aaron Rodgers we know after several years. But I truly think he would have sucked as bad as Losman in those first few years with no experience, terrible coaching and few weapons and woefully bad OL.

I know T T has a long way to go before deserving to be spoken in the same breath as Steve Young, but I do see some similarites in size, skill set and my hopes are the right system and coaching will help benefit him in the same way.

Should Whaley be fired immediately?

Geezus. This needed it's own thread? There is a 10000 page thread titled the only Mahomes thread you will need.

There is a far greater chance that Mahomes busts rather than succeeds, that's just simple math as most QBs bust. So how about you wait 3 years before you start this thread considering he won't play for at least one year and it's gonna Take a year or two to figure out if he's got it or not.

Edited by Alphadawg7

Geezus. This needed it's own thread? There is a 10000 page thread titled the only Mahomes thread you will need.

There is a far greater chance that Mahomes busts rather than succeeds, that's just simple math as most QBs bust. So how about you wait 3 years before you start this thread considering he won't play for at least one year and it's gonna Take a year or two to figure out if he's got it or not.

Get ready to eat crow, brother. B-)

First off everyone is staying how this is McD draft and he's in Control. So if anyone is responsible for it it's him

Second of all the Bills don't have the luxury to use that high of a pick on a project QB. We have too many holes to fill. And if there is a shortcoming this season in any area the team will get grilled as to why they didn't spend a 1st round pick to help in that area rather than take a project QB

Bills are sold on QB this season with TT. Now if White or Zay jones are busts than that's more on who made the selection and less about whether Mahomes is good or not cuz there are other players that I'm sure will be good and there will be questions as to why the Bills didn't select them instead.

All that has been stressed with White or Jones are character and leadership in addition to projection. Safe to say that tells ya who is truly calling the shots.

It isn't Whaley.

They draft bad QBs all the time, like Ryan Mallet. They aren't immune to the bad personnel decisions bug, they're just lucky af to have the best antidote to it aka Brady.

That's my point. Did we ever get a chance to see Mallet start a game for them? I don't think he we did. Had he, he probably wouldn't have been as bad as he was in Houston.

Get ready to eat crow, brother. B-)

Eat crow about what? I dare you to find one post where I made one prediction about Mahomes. Mathematically based on statistics, QBs bust more than than succeed, as do all positions in every sport.

Unlike other people who have anointed him a HOF just already. All I have ever said is that the QB class this year has lots of question marks, and for that it was too risky to use the 10th pick when QB isn't our biggest need and this draft has higher grades prospects at bigger positions of need. So IMO, it's better to shore up those weak spots this year than take a risky QB.

We are perfectly positioned to make a move next year if Taylor falters.

We are perfectly positioned to make a move next year if Taylor falters.

We were perfectly positioned this year to make a move after Tyrod faltered. Now I am not saying Tyrod was pur biggest problem last year.... but if you are only going to draft a Quarterback when it is your weakest link you are not gonna take many shots. Welcome to the approach that has failed the last 17 years.

[This is an automated response]

This subject matter is being currently being discussed or has already been discussed in a previous thread.

Please consider using the "search" function before starting new topics.

Thank you.