Gilmore and Mahomes or White and a 2018 Pick?

I guess the future lasts forever so it doesn't matter when it starts.

But as far as 2017 and 2018 are concerned, I think I would be more excited about having Mahomes joining the team, then an unknown future drafted QB. Not because Mahomes is automatically better than someone we would draft next year. Just simply the fact that a 2018 drafted QB likely won't be available prior to 2019.

There are other ways to fill the CB spot than with a #1 draft pick.

But as far as 2017 and 2018 are concerned, I think I would be more excited about having Mahomes joining the team, then an unknown future drafted QB. Not because Mahomes is automatically better than someone we would draft next year. Just simply the fact that a 2018 drafted QB likely won't be available prior to 2019.

Yep. White is no where need Gilmore...and we will see on Mahomes. At least Reid knows they need a QB. Even though they got a serviceable QB.

Yep. White is no where need Gilmore...and we will see on Mahomes. At least Reid knows they need a QB. Even though they got a serviceable QB.

lol at the ppl who think they know how good a rookie will be.

Newsflash, you don't...

Love these types of questions where we presumably are asked to ignore money and cap. I like BMWs way better than Chevys but if both can do what they do... get me from A to B, the Chevy meets my utility needs while doing it for less.

I'd be all for the trading down thing if the Bills were otherwise dismantling the current (mediocre) team and going into full rebuild mode. But ... bringing back Tyrod strongly suggests that they aren't. And it's hard to imagine that KC pick being any better than, say, 16th overall since a bad season for the Chiefs would probably be an 8-8 or so. So I guess the theory is that the Bills have a couple of picks in the 10-20 range, and they can use those to trade up to the top of the draft for an actual franchise QB candidate in Darnold. But that requires a whole lot of things to fall into place, including some clearly worse teams (Jets anyone?) to be willing to pass on Darnold. If you're gonna tank, you better tank, no 50% tank ...

I was a little surprised we took a CB; I thought it might be Watt or Foster. But Gilmore? More a man guy, and given the zone concepts McD wants plus the amount he wanted as a FA it wasn't worth the $$. Mahomes is an interesting guy but has a pretty far ways to go.

At one point, I may have agreed with you, but from what I've read over the last month or so leading up to the Draft, research / analytics seem to indicate the QBs that do the best over time are the ones that start immediately. So, since IMO I wasn't on any particular train for a QB this year, although I did like Mahomes and do like Peterman, I'm good with gaining the leverage necessary to either trade up or simply Draft the best QB for the Bills in 2018.

14 million against the cap vs 2 million(gilmore vs white).

You forgot to include the third round pick we acquired.

Carry on with your crusade

Exactly, we also saved another $6 million over the course of the contract from moving from 10-27. This was a classic Patriots move to trade down and the fans are upset.

So, White has the same contract as Gilmore? Oh, sorry, nevermind, it is over $10M cheaper. That equates to two additional starters we can afford with that extra money. It's really White + 3rd round 2017 + 1st round 2018 + two additional starters or very good depth guys for Gilmore and Mahomes. I take that deal any day of the week.

I'd be all for the trading down thing if the Bills were otherwise dismantling the current (mediocre) team and going into full rebuild mode. But ... bringing back Tyrod strongly suggests that they aren't. And it's hard to imagine that KC pick being any better than, say, 16th overall since a bad season for the Chiefs would probably be an 8-8 or so. So I guess the theory is that the Bills have a couple of picks in the 10-20 range, and they can use those to trade up to the top of the draft for an actual franchise QB candidate in Darnold. But that requires a whole lot of things to fall into place, including some clearly worse teams (Jets anyone?) to be willing to pass on Darnold. If you're gonna tank, you better tank, no 50% tank ...

The Bills roster is not mediocre. We have lots of talent that has been misused and miscoached.

The Bills roster is not mediocre. We have lots of talent that has been misused and miscoached.

I understand the perception, and I believe there was some truth to it a couple years ago. But now? Not so much. On the offense, the true elite performers are McCoy and (when healthy) Watkins. And there's a couple of plus performers (Glenn and Richie) who aren't getting any younger. And that's it. On defense, there's really no elite performer at all anymore. If you're counting on Dareus hitting that level again, that's more wishful thinking than reality. I guess you'd call Dareus and Hughes plus performers, maybe Kyle if he has another year left in him. Gilmore and Z Brown, sure, but ... oh well. Who else? Where is all this hidden talent? Maybe Shaq Lawson will emerge as a stud, maybe (probably; it's just the odds) not.

Edited by The Frankish Reich