Bills looking to move down: rapoport

Those are just names. The draft is and has always been, made in the 2nd round on. I say load up on the depth in this draft with more picks

No, those are players...and you're missing the point.

I'm talking about value over and above when you'd be getting in the later rounds.

Yes, it's important to draft well in the later rounds...that fact is not lost on me (as I spend more time scouting these guys than is reasonable for someone that doesn't get paid to do so), but it's far less of a guarantee.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If we can get a bounty for it, I would be all for this move as that move down this big should be expensive for Falcons. I would hope we get their 1st, 2nd, and 3rd this year plus a first next year. If all we get is a first next year, then NO. I would rather have the 10th pick this year than 2 bottom of the first round picks. This years 2nd has to be a must, and hopefully this years 3rd too for it to really be worth it IMO.

If we can get a bounty for it, I would be all for this move as that move down this big should be expensive for Falcons. I would hope we get their 1st, 2nd, and 3rd this year plus a first next year. If all we get is a first next year, then NO. I would rather have the 10th pick this year than 2 bottom of the first round picks. This years 2nd has to be a must, and hopefully this years 3rd too for it to really be worth it IMO.

agreed. It would have to be more than a first next year, which in draft trade calculus equals a late second because you discount such picks by a round by year out.

They need to move down desperately. They simply have too many needs to be covered by their top 2-3 picks. If they can trade down and acquire another pick in round 2 plus maybe another mid round pick the Bills would have a much better chance at filling the litany of needs they have. I feel as though they need 2 players in the secondary and 2 at WR. They also have needs at RT and Linebacker. Getting more picks even in 1-2 trade downs won't help solve all of those issues but a trade down could help the Bills solve more of those issues.

Sorry, but I think that's some serious hyperbole there.

You won't be able to get guys like Reddick, Foster, Davis, Njoku, Lamp, Bolles, Ramczyk, etc. in round 2.

I think there's a bit of a ledge around pick ~25. The guys you mentioned will all likely be gone just about by that point and there's a pretty clear difference between them and the next group IMO. I don't love the idea of dropping from 10 to 31, I think that's a pretty clear talent difference, though Matt Ryan getting hurt could make a future Falcons 1st VERY interesting. That being said, if we can drop to 14 and still get a guy we thought about at 10 or even drop to the Giants pick where we may still be looking at Foster / Ramczyk / Bolles, we could certainly use a few more guys in that top ~70 tier.

They need to move down desperately. They simply have too many needs to be covered by their top 2-3 picks. If they can trade down and acquire another pick in round 2 plus maybe another mid round pick the Bills would have a much better chance at filling the litany of needs they have. I feel as though they need 2 players in the secondary and 2 at WR. They also have needs at RT and Linebacker. Getting more picks even in 1-2 trade downs won't help solve all of those issues but a trade down could help the Bills solve more of those issues.

Yep

You could move down 17 times and you still aren't filling all those needs. Just because you put a warm body in there doesn't mean the need is filled and it doesn't mean the guy you pick is better than what we have already. Every team has needs, those needs increase throughout the season as injuries come up, but the belief that whoever we take in round 3-4 is automatically going to be better than Philly Brown, Seymour, Jordan Mills, etc is just wrong.

People need to accept the fact that guys we have on the roster and guys who go undrafted / get picked up after being waived are going to have shots at some of these jobs. McD and co isn't going into the draft saying "OMG, we need a RT, a WR, a QB, a CB, a safety, a linebacker"!!!!!!!!! It's his first year, we are going to cycle through a lot of players, if we scout well we'll fill some holes, but there's going to be spots that cost us games this year, it's what happens when we've failed to fill the roster with cheap talent through the last several drafts.

Edited by Chuck Wagon

I think there's a bit of a ledge around pick ~25. The guys you mentioned will all likely be gone just about by that point and there's a pretty clear difference between them and the next group IMO. I don't love the idea of dropping from 10 to 31, I think that's a pretty clear talent difference, though Matt Ryan getting hurt could make a future Falcons 1st VERY interesting. That being said, if we can drop to 14 and still get a guy we thought about at 10 or even drop to the Giants pick where we may still be looking at Foster / Ramczyk / Bolles, we could certainly use a few more guys in that top ~70 tier.

We play Atlanta next year, and very early in the season!

Just sayin' ...

We better get a LOT of picks for a move that huge

No, those are players...and you're missing the point.

I'm talking about value over and above when you'd be getting in the later rounds.

Yes, it's important to draft well in the later rounds...that fact is not lost on me (as I spend more time scouting these guys than is reasonable for someone that doesn't get paid to do so), but it's far less of a guarantee.

I get the point. The point is New England drafts in the bottom 10-15 every year, if they don't' trade out of the first round completely. They go to superbowls and dominate us. Its not WHERE you pick, but WHO you pick.

There is not one player at 10 who will put this team over the top. we need PLAYERS and the talent in this draft is very equal all the way into the 3rd round outside of maybe 7 players. Now if we were a playoff team and a player or two away from competing for the Superbowl, stay at 10 or trade up. But we aren't.

We have a team with a lot of over rated players and we need to be replacing them with better talent and filling holes. We can do that somewhat in this draft that is very deep with additional picks.