• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Can careless about the race crap.

I'll take a roster of 52 Asians and 1 franchise Mexican QB for all I care as long as we make the playoffs.

i think we generally all agree.

but the interesting part is the discussion about whether scouts would subconsciously discount those asians because they dont look like the players they normally evaluate.

I just went and tracked down an article on daryl moreys use of behavioral economics and such... i think its the same i referenced a few times (but dont have time to read extensively at the moment). Assuming it is the same one -- its VERY MUCH worth a read and an interesting perspective on building out philosophies and structures behind the scenes even if its NBA. they tend to be ahead of the nfl on a lot of the cutting edge stuff anyway.

http://www.slate.com/articles/arts/books/2016/12/how_daryl_morey_used_behavioral_economics_to_revolutionize_the_art_of_nba.html

Edited by NoSaint

I refuse to give The Unduhfeetehd any clicks.

That said, pro sports are about numbers and how well you can play. Don't think there are many scouts or GMs who care much about anything else.

I refuse to give The Unduhfeetehd any clicks.

That said, pro sports are about numbers and how well you can play. Don't think there are many scouts or GMs who care much about anything else.

yea, but just like coaches make bad gut decisions on the field do scouts or gms make bad judgement calls based on subconscious biases they hold? Id be curious what you think of the article i posted a few back. last time i posted it, only a few took the time to read it, but they all thought it was worth the time despite being long.

Lmao swimming is still being discussed.

Golf gets talked about a lot and I don't understand how that is considered a sport worth talking so much about. I would much rather watch Swimming than Golf. Swimming is incredibly tough to train for.

Edited by Talley56

Golf gets talked about a lot and I don't understand how that is considered a sport worth talking so much about. I would much rather watch Swimming than Golf. Swimming is incredibly tough to train for.

I brought up swimming because it is without question a truly "athletic" sport. Indeed, it is one of those truly basic elemental sports that it is ALL about athletic talent and which doesn't really feature encumbrances/props like skates, bicycles, etc. It's akin to track - e.g., the fastest runner in the world, the strongest man in the world, the fastest swimmer in the world, the highest jumper in the world, etc. I was responding to a post that made a blanket statement about blacks being better athletes than whites.

yea, but just like coaches make bad gut decisions on the field do scouts or gms make bad judgement calls based on subconscious biases they hold? Id be curious what you think of the article i posted a few back. last time i posted it, only a few took the time to read it, but they all thought it was worth the time despite being long.

That !@#$er was long.

I have no doubt that's true. And the point about people inside the sport ridiculing people who come in from outside the sport is well-taken. The people that played and/or coached the sport are probably highly susceptible to basing their "predictions" for players based on what they've seen in the past.

But calling it a racial "divide" is sanctimonious at best. Sports, especially the NFL, is big money, bigger than it ever has been in history. The idea that scouts and GMs are consciously trying to keep a divide going is ridiculous.

That !@#$er was long.

I have no doubt that's true. And the point about people inside the sport ridiculing people who come in from outside the sport is well-taken. The people that played and/or coached the sport are probably highly susceptible to basing their "predictions" for players based on what they've seen in the past.

But calling it a racial "divide" is sanctimonious at best. Sports, especially the NFL, is big money, bigger than it ever has been in history. The idea that scouts and GMs are consciously trying to keep a divide going is ridiculous.

its definitely long -- i try to throw that disclaimer! but for draft day, its a good read. probably better time spent than the soap opera of everyones mock drafts.

i agree that the term racial divide is click baiting, but i do think that theres bias at play and it starts pretty early in the pipeline and continues throughout (JV coaches place guys with those biases, then varsity, then college, and then nfl scouts). and goes in multiple directions. its an interesting topic.

its definitely long -- i try to throw that disclaimer! but for draft day, its a good read. probably better time spent than the soap opera of everyones mock drafts.

i agree that the term racial divide is click baiting, but i do think that theres bias at play and it starts pretty early in the pipeline and continues throughout (JV coaches place guys with those biases, then varsity, then college, and then nfl scouts). and goes in multiple directions. its an interesting topic.

Yeah it starts way before the pro level - even when it comes to which sports the kids play, and it's more than just physical characteristics. The richer kids will play golf, hockey, and lacrosse while the poorer kids will play basketball and (in any place that isn't the USA) soccer. So once you get up to the pro level it's already been long decided what "type" of person you end up evaluating.

10? dayummmmm that is weak. Listenbee got 15 and he looks like a twig.

Probably does not have the correct form you need to maximize the number of reps.

I wish they would do squats instead of benching for running backs and certain other positions would get a better idea of their explosiveness.

good take away. you're right. everybody is exactly the same. you too could be a world class marathoner if you just put your face to the grindstone and choke on your boot straps.

Some people are good athletes and others aren't. Race has nothing to

do with it. I couldn't be a world class marathoner, but it has nothing to do with my race. Mengele called, he wants you to stop stealing his ideas.

There is a difference between stereotyping and racism. The truth hurts most because it is NOT politically correct. I also hate the term reverse racism. You can be a non-white person and still be an a-hole.

What do non-white a holes have to do with the term reverse racism?