Interesting article on NFL's "Racial Divide"

....any idea when THIS card gets worn out and is replaced by a NEW deck?......black versus white is only ONE chapter......had a headhunter call me years ago from Georgia about a CFO job.....based on my last name, he said, "so you're one of them there Eye-Talians"...last name ending in a vowel was a dead giveaway and he did NOT know my skin color..................

sadly, never...

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I know I know. That was definitely my mistake.

It's just frustrating how everything in media now is being conflated to discuss politics and SJW causes. Esp when most of the times it just feels so forced. Like in this case.

The fix is not giving clicks or eyeballs so it doesn't make money. Everyone hated the tebow coverage but then it was the highest rated segments of the decade so it kept coming. Not trying to call you out- just an amusing dynamic in our society currently

sadly, never...

..was IMMEDIATELY disqualified....no such thing as ITALIAN Affirmative Action I guess.....so now I run the financial ops for a multi-million dollar construction corporation based in Rochester and love it despite being "Eye-Talian".....shoulda sent a bag of Halite to the Georgia headhunter to pound.....racism goes WELL BEYOND skin color IMO.........BUT...I have NEVER played THAT card..............

..was IMMEDIATELY disqualified....no such thing as ITALIAN Affirmative Action I guess.....so now I run the financial ops for a multi-million dollar construction corporation based in Rochester and love it despite being "Eye-Talian".....shoulda sent a bag of Halite to the Georgia headhunter to pound.....racism goes WELL BEYOND skin color IMO.........BUT...I have NEVER played THAT card..............

moms side was from sicily and ireland. her mother full blood sicilian, father full blood irish. they put up with the divide but that is history and many chapters long.

I'm not all about the divide. as long as you aren't bleeding green, even then, but we bleed the same color blood. it should be more based on respect than creed/nationality/race but as I said, it will never change...

i think we generally all agree.

but the interesting part is the discussion about whether scouts would subconsciously discount those asians because they dont look like the players they normally evaluate.

I just went and tracked down an article on daryl moreys use of behavioral economics and such... i think its the same i referenced a few times (but dont have time to read extensively at the moment). Assuming it is the same one -- its VERY MUCH worth a read and an interesting perspective on building out philosophies and structures behind the scenes even if its NBA. they tend to be ahead of the nfl on a lot of the cutting edge stuff anyway.

http://www.slate.com/articles/arts/books/2016/12/how_daryl_morey_used_behavioral_economics_to_revolutionize_the_art_of_nba.html

I do not think scouts subconsciously discount based on race, BUT, and I say this as a professional baseball scout, they definitely go with what they know works.

Meaning, in my sport, if there are two players, more or less equal,one from the Dominican Republic, one from Asia, then virtually every scout I've known would go for the kid from the DR. There is more of a track record of success there.

Very different sports obviously, but I can see how it may be harder to project a kid of east Asian ancestry who appears to be adept at cb in college. A scout would have far less to go on in terms which way the body will go, how the body will handle bulk, whether the speed will stay or go, etc...

The fix is not giving clicks or eyeballs so it doesn't make money. Everyone hated the tebow coverage but then it was the highest rated segments of the decade so it kept coming. Not trying to call you out- just an amusing dynamic in our society currently

Oh. I know. You're right. I haven't watched espn in ages other than an occasional actual game. Rarely go to the site. It's hard to escape from though, because it permeates so many other things.