ESPN Layoffs

plenzmd1

Garbage channel. The screaming morons with "hot takes" and the hot young and intellectually devoid female "reporters" make it unwatchable. ESPN went for the young population, forgetting that the older, professional, gainfully employed population is where the money is at.

That and the 3 hour evening segment entitled "unwatchable".

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So far it looks like they are just going to chop all their reporters, let other outlets do the work then just hot take everything. It's feeling more and more like they are trying to be a sports channel by appealing to casual sports fans over diehard ones who actually appreciate some insight over hot takery.

The NFL screwed them over though, Monday Night used to be THE night in the NFL, but now they've put the weeks big game on Sunday instead and further diluted primetime football with Thursday night. I love football as much as anyone, but after Thursday night and all day Saturday and Sunday, I need to skip out on monday so I don't end up divorced, I don't care about watching the Redskins play the Saints after already consuming ~30 hours of football the preceding 4 days.

The NBA is doing no favors, no one watches regular season (not to mention regular season baseball) and the post season is just as much with TNT / Fox as it is with ESPN. They've ruined their relationship with the NHL and are basically just left with College Football to post them up (and the Thursday night games they aired lost a lot of luster with the NFL's thursday night football).

Yup, that was a total shafting.

Total dog games for Thursday and Monday and the pick of the litter for NBC's whim and caprice.

I wonder how much these guys are getting paid that they are getting laid off.

Some of the on-air talent/hosts of shows make between $1-3.5M. I would bet Werder and Burnside made less than that.

Cable cutters are killing their business just like the internet crushed newspapers. Although, this seems to be happening much faster. The question is, what will this do longterm to the sports rights. ESPN surely won't want to pay the steep fees to each league if they're underwater.

Some of the on-air talent/hosts of shows make between $1-3.5M. I would bet Werder and Burnside made less than that.

Cable cutters are killing their business just like the internet crushed newspapers. Although, this seems to be happening much faster. The question is, what will this do longterm to the sports rights. ESPN surely won't want to pay the steep fees to each league if they're underwater.

Not the same, people didn't really read newspapers that intensely, giving up the paper meant they honestly realized they don't care much about news in the first place. It hasn't been missed at all.

Watching TV or its equivalent is as vital as oxygen for almost all the population, you need something to veg and rest your eyeballs on for hours.

Also Pierre LeBrun from NHL - wow

Not sure to put this here or OTW, but first cut is a football guy.

Ed Werder is being let go. One of the best guys there I thought. Shame to see a quality reporter like Ed get cut, but the chuckleheads at TBN like Sully, Bucky and Harrington are protected by a guild.

Sad days when anyone loses their job over changing economy and business models.

Ed Werder's dog died today too :cry:

Watching TV or its equivalent is as vital as oxygen for almost all the population, you need something to veg and rest your eyeballs on for hours.

Thankfully, Netflix has like 457 seasons of various Law & Order shows to watch.

Not the same, people didn't really read newspapers that intensely, giving up the paper meant they honestly realized they don't care much about news in the first place. It hasn't been missed at all.

It's very much the same dynamic. People are cutting the cable, getting some streaming package and noticing they don't actually care much about ESPN. ~$7 of everyone's cable bill goes to ESPN - if they have the channel of course.

Yeah, Werder seemed like a solid guy. Probably not "sensational" enough for them these days...

I was hoping ESPN would go back to solid reporting and less sensationalism. Ed was solid. He won;t be on the street for long.

The NFL screwed them over though, Monday Night used to be THE night in the NFL, but now they've put the weeks big game on Sunday instead and further diluted primetime football with Thursday night. I love football as much as anyone, but after Thursday night and all day Saturday and Sunday, I need to skip out on monday so I don't end up divorced, I don't care about watching the Redskins play the Saints after already consuming ~30 hours of football the preceding 4 days.

The NBA is doing no favors, no one watches regular season (not to mention regular season baseball) and the post season is just as much with TNT / Fox as it is with ESPN. They've ruined their relationship with the NHL and are basically just left with College Football to post them up (and the Thursday night games they aired lost a lot of luster with the NFL's thursday night football).

People here keep mischaracterizing the TNF broadcast. It's a top 10 broadcast. Therefore it's very popular.

ESPN lost nothing from not broadcasting NHL...because no one watches the NHL.

People here keep mischaracterizing the TNF broadcast. It's a top 10 broadcast. Therefore it's very popular.

ESPN lost nothing from not broadcasting NHL...because no one watches the NHL.

Back when the Avalanche and Red Wings throttled eachother on the regular I would watch out of market hockey games. Now it's just local games until playoffs.

Titans reporter Paul Kuharsky is out. I'd be kind of surprised to see Rodak survive the day. I could see ESPN cutting out a lot of coverage for the non glamour teams (it was already limited to begin with) and focus on the teams that really move the ratings needle.

seriously? She's one of the good ones.

just read her role will be reduced, prolly meaning a renegotiated salary as well.

ESPN pretty much just relegated hockey to the "other" tab.

But keep insisting the game is in great shape Gary...you freaking moron.