Sal M: no QB in first.

JM2009

Moving up to take a questionable QB fails way more than it succeeds. And teams will be dumb and move ahead of us to do so again this year. Let them.

recently it seems to be working. Titans/Bucs/Eagles all got their guys.

• Replies 343
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Moving up to take a questionable QB fails way more than it succeeds. And teams will be dumb and move ahead of us to do so again this year. Let them.

I have said 43 times. if they can move away from ten , pick up some picks, i will deal with a QB in the first for Buffalo.

Whaley is terrible at evaluating QBs and you trust him with a 10th round pick on a weak QB class. Draft one in the later rounds.

If you draft one at all. It does appear the Bills can neither draft or develop Qb's. Sign a UDFA and

draft some friggin football players. Let the new coaching staff work some magic with TT.

I don't care about Tyrod. He's not good at passing the ball and he needs to be replaced. Building around Tyrod is as dumb an idea as building around Fitzpatrick. They are QB's that should be bridges to someone better.

Would you rather:

A) draft a QB at ten who has about a 40% chance of being really good....

Or

B) draft a QB in the fourth round or later that has a 20% chance of being really good.

That's basically the question. Personally, Id wait on a QB.

recently it seems to be working. Titans/Bucs/Eagles all got their guys.

The Bucs did not move up, they already had the # 1 pick. The Rams traded a fortune to get Goff in contrast.

Stay put. If a guy you think has it is availble at 10 take him. And be prepared to take the criticism from the same fans saying you had to take a QB at 10 if he doesn't pan out.

I agree with Sal. I just don't see a QB worth a top 10 pick, and there's no way I'd pass on a sure fire starter, and potentially elite player at #10. Not for any of these QBs, who are all projects. The risk and value have to meet up, especially in the 1st round IMO, and the risk is just too great for me.

I know some on here keep saying that his isn't a weak QB draft class. But how often is it that almost everyone seems to agree that there doesn't look to be even 1 day 1 starter among the QB class?

If Mahomes or Trubisky are there in the 2nd, I definitely take one of them. Or I'd possibly even consider a low cost trade up into the early 2nd (or maybe even very late 1st) if they love the guy and the price is right, or they're able to trade back from #10 and grab more picks. I wouldn't be willing to give up much though, because the Bills don't have the picks to give up.

Even though I don't want a QB at #10, I do feel that the Bills have done their due diligence on this QB class. They seem to have spent some serious time on the evaluation of,every main QB prospect, and that's all I can ask for at this point. So I will ultimately support whatever decision they make. If they don't feel there is a QB worth #10 overall, I will support it. If they do feel that there is a QB worth the #10 pick, I will support that too....

Whatever they do, I'm sure I'll voice my opinion, but I am surely not going state it like a fact as some others do, and sit here pretending I know more than the people who do this for a living and decide that they were dead wrong & should be fired, before we even have a chance to see how the decision plays out.

The Bucs did not move up, they already had the # 1 pick. The Rams traded a fortune to get Goff in contrast.

Stay put. If a guy you think has it is availble at 10 take him. And be prepared to take the criticism from the same fans saying you had to take a QB at 10 if he doesn't pan out.

oops, sorry. Had it in my head that they traded up from lower that year. I must have been thinking of the RGIII 'Skins/Rams trade.

Edited by GhostsofBillsPast

Yes, I think all of this has been hashed out in the Tyrod Highlights thread. My biggest fear is we will be having the same conversation next off-season. It's a nightmare and we can't wake up from it!

We've been having it for 20ish years now...why stop a good thing?

Sal Maiorana has been covering the Bills for 25 years for the Rochester media.

he has been covering the Bills for 25 years - miserably. He has found the sports "journalist" "fountain of forever" - just offer a "front-office sucks"for <insert franchise here> article 2-3 times a week without any real research. If that does not suffice, then write that Sabres GM/coach or Bills' GM or coach should be fired because, like 26 of 32 NFL franchises, The Bills are not much different than the majority of other franchises. It takes a LOT of luck to find a franchise QB. Either your team is AWFUL and has a very early pick -AND- there is an outstanding prospect available -OR- you get REALLY lucky and stumble onto a Tom Brady or Russel Wilson in later rounds.

oops, sorry. Had it in my head that they traded up from lower that year. I must have been thinking of the RGIII 'Skins/Rams trade.

Yep. And look how trading up for RGIII worked out

So we're all agreed? If Whaley passes on either Trubisky or Mahomes at 10, then he should be fired before the sun comes up on Friday?

For some here I don't think firing would be enough. I picture a human sacrifice in front of city hall

Would you rather:

A) draft a QB at ten who has about a 40% chance of being really good....

Or

B) draft a QB in the fourth round or later that has a 20% chance of being really good.

That's basically the question. Personally, Id wait on a QB.

I disagree with your percentages. Peterman doesn't even have a 20 percent chance at starting, let alone being better than that.

there is talk that the Jags may also go QB. You can't get cute waiting for QBs to pass unnoticed into round 2

That is going to be the problem this year and the next few I'm afraid...the current Franchise QBs are getting older and need to be replaced soon too. We can't afford to wait...

In your opinion

and there are other qbs.....Webb?......Joshua Dobbs?

lets keep in mind you got a entrenched starter for 2 years (I know you hate that but tough)

The only QB I like late in the draft is Dobbs. Kelly doesn't look like he will be drafted because of the injuries on top of the other issues. If he wants to come here as a FA fine.

Tyrod is not entrenched into anything. Bills again gave themselves a 1 year out. Why do they keep signing Tyrod to one year deals? If he is as great as people think why can't he get a longer contract than 1 year?

That is going to be the problem this year and the next few I'm afraid...the current Franchise QBs are getting older and need to be replaced soon too. We can't afford to wait...

You can't afford to be wrong either. Do your scouting and if you like a guy at 10 take him. But don't move up and give away picks.

I want my team to have higher standards. I want to win a Superbowl. How does drafting pieces around Tyrod help win a Superbowl? It does nothing but spin our wheels for a few years. I am sick of punting on QB. Build a champion. And if Sean the Wrestler and Doug don't have the stones get them out of here and hire someone with a vision and a plan.

I want my team to have higher standards. I want to win a Superbowl. How does drafting pieces around Tyrod help win a Superbowl? It does nothing but spin our wheels for a few years. I am sick of punting on QB. Build a champion. And if Sean the Wrestler and Doug don't have the stones get them out of here and hire someone with a vision and a plan.

Those pieces will also be there when our QB isn't Tyrod. It doesn't hurt to build a good team.

The only QB I like late in the draft is Dobbs. Kelly doesn't look like he will be drafted because of the injuries on top of the other issues. If he wants to come here as a FA fine.

Tyrod is not entrenched into anything. Bills again gave themselves a 1 year out. Why do they keep signing Tyrod to one year deals? If he is as great as people think why can't he get a longer contract than 1 year?

I am willing to bet right here right now that Tyrod Taylor is going to be on this team for at least 2 more years.

Those pieces will also be there when our QB isn't Tyrod. It doesn't hurt to build a good team.

The NFL is a fast paced league. If we draft a WR but no QB that just replaces Sammy with a lesser player as Sammy will have no desire to spend his entire career here with no QB. There's a reason why Patriots are adding and we are spinning our wheels. You need the QB in place to attract key coaches and players.

I am willing to bet right here right now that Tyrod Taylor is going to be on this team for at least 2 more years.

If he is here next year he will have taken another paycut and Sean the Wrestler will be fired next year after 2 years of no playoffs.

The NFL is a fast paced league. If we draft a WR but no QB that just replaces Sammy with a lesser player as Sammy will have no desire to spend his entire career here with no QB. There's a reason why Patriots are adding and we are spinning our wheels. You need the QB in place to attract key coaches and players.

and if you draft a qb without building the rest of the roster you have the Chargers. winning even less, despite the qb.

If he is here next year he will have taken another paycut and Sean the Wrestler will be fired next year after 2 years of no playoffs.

LOL

Even though coaches AND players have had nothing but good things to say about Tyrod Taylor

The hate for TT is fan driven...not coach or player driven.

So your not down for the bet.....backtracking with the damn excuses already Jeff?

You may think it's humorous but referring to Sean the Wrestler makes you look like a 3 year old.

So your not down for the bet.....backtracking with the damn excuses already Jeff?

Why would I bet on whether Tyrod is here or not next year? I can't get inside the heads of the people that run the Bills. Logic goes out the window.

You may think it's humorous but referring to Sean the Wrestler makes you look like a 3 year old.

So our owner is a 3 year old?

There are plenty of pieces for a QB. We spent 2 #1 picks on WR, spent $$ on TE, have a top 3 RB, a top NFL rushing attack.

2 picks on 1 WR...

There's also another side of the ball that severely underperformed compared to the offense. Have you watched any Saints games recently?

2 picks on 1 WR...

There's also another side of the ball that severely underperformed compared to the offense. Have you watched any Saints games recently?

I only want to spend 1 pick on QB. That's all I have requested. That leaves 6 (pending decision on MG)other picks to grab zone cover corners, linebackers, WR's , etc

Edited by jeffismagic