Pegula shows Tim Murray and Dan Bylsma the door.

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not against Whaley like many here are, however, lets see if he still has a job by May 1st. Teams typically keep GMs around till after the draft as they did all the scouting and don't want that knowledge going to another team. Could be ultimately McDermott is making the picks, or at a minimum, he is approving the picks by Whaley. If that is the case, Whaley himself probably knows he'll be out of work in a couple of weeks.

Scouts are let go after the draft; when their contracts expire. GMs are show the door at the end of December along with HCs. Why would you keep a GM who you want to fire and let him handle the current draft? :blink:

Scouts are let go after the draft; when their contracts expire. GMs are show the door at the end of December along with HCs. Why would you keep a GM who you want to fire and let him handle the current draft? :blink:

How do you know he's "handling" the current draft?

Guest NeckBeard

Look at any other non-Bills team in the NFL. Then think about how you would perceive them after they'd fired their GM after the draft. Then come back to when Nix retired after that draft and DW was hired. Those are your answers.

it would be baffling to have him run the coaching search, free agency and the draft with the assumption that he wasnt good enough at those tasks to retain his job.

now if something has gone off the rails behind the scenes in the last few weeks or during the draft that is different -- but if the decision was made semi-early in the process id be very frustrated as a fan.

Entirely agree, but let me ask you this - How Bills-y would it be to do something like that?

If you were going to get rid of him - why would you let him sign FAs, sit in on the hiring of a new HC, set-up the draft board, go on scouting trips or anything? Why waste the time and money? Why not hire the replacement and let them take care of this instead of crippling the franchise for another year?

It makes no sense whatsoever, why would anyone ask this question?

20168393840_billy-madison-quote.jpg

So Eichel did get his coach fired after all...

Coaching, or lack of, got the coach fired. How many times do you have to watch a game and say What in the name of Eddie Shack is he doing before that becomes apparent???!!!! Lineups, playing not to lose and continuing to let it happen. Playing pond hockey in the second period most of the season. Right, it was Eichel.

For the grief the Pegula's are beginning to take regarding their ownership of Buffalo sports teams, it's not because of a lack of trying. I hope they'll hire a Senior Advisor to assess what the Sabres need best and whether Whaley is worth retaining after the Draft. jmo.

exactly. I'd rather have the Pegula's who actually care about winning, than Bob Nutting, who owns the Pirates and does not care. Peg's won't tolerate any more incompetence.

Bylsma should be a junior league coach. For some reason the NHL has not been kind to him. (except 1/2 of 2009).

Guest NeckBeard

exactly. I'd rather have the Pegula's who actually care about winning, than Bob Nutting, who owns the Pirates and does not care. Peg's won't tolerate any more incompetence.

Bylsma should be a junior league coach. For some reason the NHL has not been kind to him. (except 1/2 of 2009).

You only care about winning when your teams have actually shown the ability to win. It's nice to make changes in hopes of finding someone who can win, but that's all I have to say.

I think something that has to be taken into account - The Pegula's did not hire Tim Murray.

They hired Pat LaFontaine to run the team, and Lafontaine hired Tim Murray.

Murray was never technically hired to run the whole team. He was hired because he was considered a very good scout, which is why Lafontaine supposedly picked him. He was supposed to help lafontaine scout and evaluate talent. Pegula never originally planned on having Murray run everything.

how can you blame this on Pegs. He followed the gm's plan for Several years and it hasn;t worked. Murray has blown through an awful lot of assets and doesn;t have a ton to show for it as of yet, how more years do you want to give Murray ? Do you want to lose the kid in the process

He could go to the Boston/New England area along with the former bills players...

I really, really like Terry and Kim as humans. They're not like Dan Snyder or Jerry Jones, who may be the Antichrist.

But man, they seem to be in wayyyyy over their heads as owners.

This.....I'm glad they kept the teams in Buffalo and all - good for the local economy, yada yada yada, but boy, they're not really delivering much of a product. Wasn't this the year that the Sabre's broke though? Any reason to think next year will be different?