Pats sign Gillislee to offer sheet

Yeah you realize no team keeps all their players, so this post isn't saying anything. Of course the Bills are a better team if they can keep all their players, heck let's add as many as we can! Ah but there is a salary cap and a roster limit. Just stop, this doesn't matter. I'll agree with you if we don't bother replacing him but OF COURSE we will so it's a moot point. We did replace Karlos! We replaced him with Gillislee! I personally think the Karlos skill set fits our team better than the Gillislee skill set anyways, I've always thought the best plan was letting Gillislee go and get a cheaper backup that can bulldoze throigh defensemen after Shady tired them out.

The salary cap and roster limit had no effect on keeping Gillislee. But you knew that.

Gillislee was on the team with Karlos. How was he his replacement?

We replaced Karlos with JWill. And that worked to great success. Moot.

Edited by FireChan

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do any of those teams also employ a back whos making almost 9 million?

Different discussion IMO.

The point is that Gilly is not getting anything out of whack for a backup RB that hits the FA market...whether or not you think it's a good idea to pay that to him given how much Shady is getting is worth debating IMO.

I'm on the fence, but leaning toward wanting to match since he's shown himself to be very productive in his current role.

Then again, I'm the guy that wanted to give him a 2-year, $4.5M deal that was fully gtd back in January.

I wasn't trying to be a ball breaker, you do a good job posting and relaying stats.

That six carries should be closer to 10 this year. That would keep Shady fresh and let MG get more of a rhythm. He should have been the starter in that Fins game. If he goes to NE he will be in a position for success just like Hogan was. Less guys in the box and more redzone oppurtunities.

I didn't take it that way; I simply wanted to draw the distinction.

Bills are one hamstring injury, which happens frequently, to having Jonathan Williams as starting running back. Meanwhile Gillislee wins Superbowl MVP with 151 yards and 3 TDS for Patriots. I'ts the Bills way. a Joke.

Are they still going to play the season or just go with your version?

As much as I despise the patriots, if Gillislee is good enough for them, it should be a no brainer to keep him. Same with Hogan last year. Unfortunately Bills didn't have ability to match Gilmore. I know that Patriots aren't infallible but Bills are in no position to be thinking they are smarter than Patriots. 2 years, $6m isn't breaking the bank. Hopefully McDermott is smart enough to over-ride whoever in the organization thinks they're smarter than Bellichik.

Guess we should have kept Scott Chandler then.

I will say again I hope they keep MG. But I would pose the following: if the tables were turned and it was the Bills offering 4 mil to MG, and the Pats had to make the call as to match or not, what do you think they'd do? That's correct, they'd let him go without a second thought and move on.

I've actually covered the difference between the two players.

Sammy put up #1 WR stats despite a massive disparity in opportunities...when targeted like a number 1 WR, he outpaced the league. That's not projecting what he might do if given opportunities, it's simply stating what he did when given them.

Gillislee set a career high with 6 carries per game last year and only has 2 career games with 15 or more carries...nearly everything relating to him as a starting back is projecting.

Nope.

The following are all backup RBs:

Theo Riddick - $3.85M AAV

Bilal Powell - $3.75M AAV

Rex Burkhead - $3.15M AAV

Take your pick of Darren Sproles ($4.5M AAV) or Ryan Mathews ($3.67M AAV)

It's the going rate for a quality backup RB.

Riddick was essentially the starter in Detroit, leading the team in attempts and yards despite injury.

Powell was the most similar to our scenario, but he had 32% of his teams attempts vs. 20% for Gillislee.

Burkhead's salary is based on being part of perhaps a 4-headed Patriots rushing attack.

Sproles/Matthews more of a timeshare as well, with 34% Matthews, 22% Sproles.

$4m would still be a hefty price to pay for a 20% share backup RB, especially in light of McCoy's MUCH higher salary than any of the other "starters" on those listed teams.

The salary cap and roster limit had no effect on keeping Gillislee. But you knew that.

before this group we the last group started with Lynch , cj and it's Fred's turn. It is not hard to get running backs. When Shady leaves , the question will be what are they going to do at running back. The Answer next years third round pick. Yes Shady is great and way above the margins but you can do just fine with solid.

Guess we should have kept Scott Chandler then.

I will say again I hope they keep MG. But I would pose the following: if the tables were turned and it was the Bills offering 4 mil to MG, and the Pats had to make the call as to match or not, what do you think they'd do? That's correct, they'd let him go without a second thought and move on.

If that were true, why are they trying to sign him?

Cripes man...it's not that difficult.

Do you not know how depth charts work? Karlos was our #2 RB in 2015. He leaves and then Gillisee moves up from #3 to #2. That means he replaced Karlos as our #2 running back. This isn't rocket science.

That's like saying Fred Jackson didn't replace Marshawn Lynch as our #1 RB because Fred was already on the roster with him.

Edited by Teeflebees

Riddick was essentially the starter in Detroit, leading the team in attempts and yards despite injury.

Powell was the most similar to our scenario, but he had 32% of his teams attempts vs. 20% for Gillislee.

Burkhead's salary is based on being part of perhaps a 4-headed Patriots rushing attack.

$4m would still be a hefty price to pay for a 20% share backup RB, especially in light of McCoy's MUCH higher salary than any of the other "starters" on those listed teams.

so if a couple of teams over pay for backup , the bills should follow. plus the Bills have shady

Riddick only started because Abdullah got hurt.

Burkhead is most certainly a comparable given that he's competing for carries with White, Lewis, and Gillislee.

$4M this season is high for sure, but the AAV is not.

Cripes man...it's not that difficult.

Do you not know how depth charts work? Karlos was our #2 RB in 2015. He leaves and then Gillisee moves up from #3 to #2. That means he replaced Karlos as our #2 running back. This isn't rocket science.

That's like saying Fred Jackson didn't replace Marshawn Lynch as our #1 RB because Fred was already on the roster with him.

it was simply Fred's turn

Pats are really stocking up on mid level rb's.

Kind of a strange offseason for them - not their usual m.o.

I think Bill is seeing the value in taking on young vets as oppose to rookies. With only 4 years of control and for a lot of them the first year is a wash. The young vet maybe more valuable. George Allen did this years ago . It worked well. His team were always solid. His crime was not winning a superbowl, pretty if he had Tom Brady that would not have been the case

Riddick only started because Abdullah got hurt.

Burkhead is most certainly a comparable given that he's competing for carries with White, Lewis, and Gillislee.

$4M this season is high for sure, but the AAV is not.

I don't necessarily disagree. That is more of a salary cap allocation question (how much cap% do you want to allocate to each position group), and it definitely is an interesting discussion. Most would say that paying McCoy what we do isn't a great idea, but I think that if you are, you need to sort of accept that you're going to have to be a bit more frugal with the reserves.

The real sticking point on this decision is less about the AAV for me, and more about the combination of the cost of the deal in terms of the cap AND giving up a 5th round draft pick. That makes it a fairly clear pass in my mind.

It's obviously somewhat close (hence this strong debate), though there was only 1 interested party out of 30 that was willing to exchange the 5th for MG at that price.

Teams never have their future starters on the roster a year in advance, in FireChan world.

I don't necessarily disagree. That is more of a salary cap allocation question (how much cap% do you want to allocate to each position group), and it definitely is an interesting discussion. Most would say that paying McCoy what we do isn't a great idea, but I think that if you are, you need to sort of accept that you're going to have to be a bit more frugal with the reserves.

The real sticking point on this decision is less about the AAV for me, and more about the combination of the cost of the deal in terms of the cap AND giving up a 5th round draft pick. That makes it a fairly clear pass in my mind.

It's obviously somewhat close (hence this strong debate), though there was only 1 interested party out of 30 that was willing to exchange the 5th for MG at that price.

Your points are fair.

I think part of the evaluation needs to go beyond this season, since his cap number drops in 2018...if you can make it work, it's worth thinking about given how run-oriented the offense is at this time.

Pats are really stocking up on mid level rb's.

Kind of a strange offseason for them - not their usual m.o.

I think part of the reason they've been more active is simply because they've become so proficient with the cap that they HAVE to spend some money to meet their cap floor.

I mean, they were what $60M under the cap going into this offseason? And WAY under it last year. You have to spend up to 90% of your cap space every 3 years.......that's the rule.

The stark reality is that they basically won the SB last year with a roster full of role players. Their only superstar other than Brady is Gronk and he watched the game from the owners box.......as usual come January.

They had room to get better talent-wise and they are actually doing something about it this year. In the past they always just ate any extra cap room and didn't add players......and that helped keep them a bit closer to the pack, IMO.

Now.......HAVING to spend it......this is what we get.

Your points are fair.

I think part of the evaluation needs to go beyond this season, since his cap number drops in 2018...if you can make it work, it's worth thinking about given how run-oriented the offense is at this time.

Thats why i say basically, if you plan on cutting shady and want Gillislee to be the starter in 2018.... then sign the offer sheet.

I think part of the reason they've been more active is simply because they've become so proficient with the cap that they HAVE to spend some money to meet their cap floor.

I mean, they were what $60M under the cap going into this offseason? And WAY under it last year. You have to spend up to 90% of your cap space every 3 years.......that's the rule.

The stark reality is that they basically won the SB last year with a roster full of role players. Their only superstar other than Brady is Gronk and he watched the game from the owners box.......as usual come January.

They had room to get better talent-wise and they are actually doing something about it this year. In the past they always just ate any extra cap room and didn't add players......and that helped keep them a bit closer to the pack, IMO.

Now.......HAVING to spend it......this is what we get.

Hitting home runs all of April, save some of those for down the stretch.