Rotoworld ranks Whaley as worst GM in NFL

a gm who can not find a franchise qb and make the playoffs within 3 or 4 years doesn't have much time left at his job.

BUT in Whaley's defense the Pegula's are proving to be bumbling owners just like Ralph Wilson.. Pegula's need to hire football people and step back.. Just hire a GM and stop interjecting and/or over riding. Let the hire fail on their own merits instead of trying to interject on key decisions that they, the Pegula's are obviously bad at.

IMO it won't matter who are GM is if our owners are overly involved in the coaching and player decisions. Also don't expect the best GM to want to work for them if they truly want to win

Have they agreed to play "home games" every year in Toronto? Have they hired 70+ year old men to be in decision-making positions? Do they refuse to spend money on players and coaches?

• Replies 381
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love how often Whaley gets **** on for trading back AND getting their QB of choice. True, EJ didn't work out, but that happens. We also picked up Kiko/Shady in that situation, so not only did we do what so many want (pick a QB in the first!), we also picked up probowl talent at the same time.

As far as any QB that doesn't find a franchise QB sucks argument... there's only a handful of 'franchise QBs' in the league, if you use the definition as a guy who can carry a team to success no matter what. And a lot of those guys are older. So basically 25 GMs suck, or something, I guess.

The Good- Trading for Jerry Hughes, Signing Ritchie Incognito, trading for LeSean McCoy

The Bad- Trading up for Sammy Watkins, having the lowest amount of starting draft picks since his tenure in the league, Drafting EJ Manuel, The hiring of Rex Ryan, his drafting in general has been awful (only Dareus remains from the 2011 draft, only Cordy Glenn remains from 2012 draft, only Jonathan Meeks remains from 2013 draft).

Way too much bad for me and I think he is definitely deserving of his ranking imo.

I must be the only one who doesn't think he is all that bad

CBF

I am so tired of fans who just go along with whatever the media says. The Buffalo media hates Whaley and they won't stop featuring every bad thing they can come up with to knock him down. They were probably foaming at the mouth to bring up what Rotoworld thinks. Outside media sources only go by what our media portrays, they do not know the Bills and most of the time you get terrible insight. I'm with you Canadian Bill. I support Whaley and I don't believe hiring Ryan was his call. He is not the only NFL GM who has had a difficult time finding a legit QB, in fact most teams do not have one. I give him props for finding Tyrod and damn I hope he does well because then everyone's thinking on Whaley will change. IMO he has gathered more talent than any GM since the Superbowl glory days. He can't help the Pegula's brought in Rex and he put us through 2 years of hell. He made our defense look awful, his schemes didn't work and he was molding what he had to work his system. He was a terrible Head Coach and a buffoon.

Edited by offsides#76FredSmerlas

So basically the measuring stick, for Whaley as a GM, is based on one and only one move. A move which he did not make on his own. A move that I wonder if he makes if he had sole responsibility for the pick. Ok.

Or the blame for injuries with players with no prior history of being injured a lot.

The Good- Trading for Jerry Hughes, Signing Ritchie Incognito, trading for LeSean McCoy

The Bad- Trading up for Sammy Watkins, (Obtained elite talent) having the lowest amount of starting draft picks since his tenure in the league (meaningless stat) Drafting EJ Manuel (was a Nix pick) The hiring of Rex Ryan (Pegulas pushed by Brandon) his drafting in general has been awful (only Dareus remains from the 2011 draft, only Cordy Glenn remains from 2012 draft, only Jonathan Meeks remains from 2013 draft). (He's only been GM 3 seasons)

Way too much bad for me and I think he is definitely deserving of his ranking imo. (How about finding two Pro Bowl linebackers from the scrap heap in Zach Brown and Lorenzo Alexander, how about Brandon Tate, Justin Hunter, Ryan Groy, Mike Gillislee? How about renegotiating Tyrod Taylor so the Bills save money and don't have to go into 2017 with TJ Yates or a rookie starting?)

The Bad- Trading up for Sammy Watkins, having the lowest amount of starting draft picks since his tenure in the league, Drafting EJ Manuel, The hiring of Rex Ryan, his drafting in general has been awful (only Dareus remains from the 2011 draft, only Cordy Glenn remains from 2012 draft, only Jonathan Meeks remains from 2013 draft).

Way too much bad for me and I think he is definitely deserving of his ranking imo.

This is fair - but one could argue:

Sammy Watkins - the trade was expensive, especially considering the other WR's in that draft. But what if this guy stays healthy and produces like Julio Jones? Who would be mad at that? I know Atlanta isn't upset anymore - they just had to suffer through a couple injury riddled seasons with him.

EJ - they needed a QB, and they went for one, arguably the best one in that draft. Unfortunately, he had to start sooner than he was ready. Plus, it has been reported that he was not next on Whaley's board - Nix pulled the trigger on it. But we can debate that another time.

Rex - This has been widely reported to be a Pegula hire. But since he failed, the blame has shifted to Whaley. I do not believe that Rex, nor McDermott were Whaley hires. I believe the Pegulas hand picked both of them.

These are all questionable things to have on your resume - no doubt. But until franchise QB's grow on trees - and just can't say Whaley has done a terrible job. The Buffalo Organization was JOKE (a huge freaking JOKE) for 10 plus years. That is a big mess to clean up.

Lean more on McD this draft , Rex had the last 2 .

This pretty much says it all. Rex greatly influenced the last couple of drafts, same as he did in NY and that didn't work out well there either. Overall Whaley has done a good job, he just hasn't hit on the franchise QB yet. Once that happens, he will be loved like Polian was for getting Kelly to sign after the USFL folded.

Not the worst, not the best. Does a good job on FAs, especially under the radar guys. Not as good a job in the draft. And stylistically he seems content to give the HC more say in what he wants for the roster and getting that for him vs. other GMs who dictate the roster and then tell the HC to use what he has. Ultimately he is either a weaker type GM or a stronger type personnel director.

This pretty much says it all. Rex greatly influenced the last couple of drafts, same as he did in NY and that didn't work out well there either. Overall Whaley has done a good job, he just hasn't hit on the franchise QB yet. Once that happens, he will be loved like Polian was for getting Kelly to sign after the USFL folded.

How does Polian get credit for Kelly when he didnt draft him, and Kelly had ero other options after Trump sunk the USFL?

As far as Whaley's drafting is concerned... Tough to keep your draft picks when your Offensive and Defensive schemes change drastically literally every year. 3/4-Pettine, 4/3-Schwartz, 3/4-Ryan, 4/3-McD... Is it any surprise players drafted 4 years ago aren't around? We had to cut them to make room for Schwartz's guys, then cut them to make room for Rex's guys...

Edited by DrDareustein

How does Polian get credit for Kelly when he didnt draft him, and Kelly had ero other options after Trump sunk the USFL?

As far as Whaley's drafting is concerned... Tough to keep your draft picks when your Offensive and Defensive schemes change drastically literally every year. 3/4-Pettine, 4/3-Schwartz, 3/4-Ryan, 4/3-McD... Is it any surprise players drafted 4 years ago aren't around? We had to cut them to make room for Schwartz's guys, then cut them to make room for Rex's guys...

Agreed.

Has there ever been a GM who's had to deal with worse ownership than Doug Whaley has??

Going from Ralph to Pegula is kind of like going from Manuel to Taylor; better, but not by much.

I can't find the link to this, but someone relooked at the draft picks on the roster data after Graham posted his anti-Whaley screed about that. If you compare Whaley to GMs that have had the position the same length of time as he has, the data are identical.