Rotoworld ranks Whaley as worst GM in NFL

• Replies 381
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We had 3 draft picks that either did not play or were limited in their play from this last draft

If Lawson, Ragland, and Listenbee have significant contributions this year......Whaley will look much better

and he signed 2 pro bowlers off the scrap heap....and had 2 players that were runner for defensive rookie of the year

so frankly....i dont get it

he needs to go back to pro player evaluation, he already has a reduced role on the team and they should keep going that way.

I put the Whaley quote in my signature just because I got sick of homers totally blaming EJ on Buddy.

and he's going back to setting up the board

I agree Whaley is near the bottom of GMs, but rotoworld's reasoning behind the ranking was piss poor. We all know why EJ started week 16; there were plenty of better examples of Whaley being in over his head. I think Whaley's raw as a GM in the same way that EJ's raw as a QB.

Guest K-GunJimKelly12

While people are talking about trades, how about Bryce Brown for a 4th and releasing him a year later.

NFL is a bottom line business. Whaley has been the #1 or #2 football executive for the

off seasons. None ended with a single playoff game. You can spend all the time you want on the individual decisions made during this tenure. But 7 off seasons without a playoff game, puts anyone in the discussion as a failed football executive.

Ive seen a few people reference the 2014 defensive roster in defense of Whaley, in this thread and the Gillislee thread, but i want to remind everyone that Whaley did not build that roster. Nix did. Whaley has been quite average. Not the worst, but not the best.

As far as a comparison to Polian and his record, Polian was a complete animal when he was here, he took control of everything. It was Polians team through and through, even fighting over it with an immensely strong willed and meddling owner in Ralph. Polian took control.

Whaley is a flippity floppity flue of a GM that by most accounts, hasnt even had the nut sack to hire his own coach yet. Yes, Whaley is a professional football talent evaluator, he can see and pick some individual talent and has hit on a couple players. I just dont think he is savvy enough, at this point, to build a complete football team. Im not a fan of Whaley as the GM of our beloved Buffalo Bills.

He'd make a great scout but as a GM this is his last go... he'd better make it work for the people that matter: US

Not the worst GM in the league but right down there in the bottom 10...

NFL is a bottom line business. Whaley has been the #1 or #2 football executive for the

off seasons. None ended with a single playoff game. You can spend all the time you want on the individual decisions made during this tenure. But 7 off seasons without a playoff game, puts anyone in the discussion as a failed football executive.

And yet this is his very first year as the actual #1 guy with a coach he seems to be fully behind. So..... NOW he can be held accountable. Let the games begin, and we shall see. It's still a new staff, and the previous regime I put on our newbie owners.

Because most fans have no idea what they are talking about. The Bills were horrible in Polian's first season and dumb fans would have wanted to fire him. He inherited Kelly, got to draft Peyton #1, and got multiple top 5 picks with the Panthers.

If Whaley got Luck with the #1 pick, he would be one of the best GMs in the NFL.

They have Tom Brady. It's really that simple. They have drafted plenty of busts.

Are we sure that Whaley would be considered a great GM if we had Andrew Luck? We've already seen what Luck achieves with below average teammates assembled by a bad GM. I guess you think more highly of Whaley than I.

Whaley should've gone out the door with Rex. He's had some good moves, but overall he's been below average. One common problem many young GMs have is acquiescing to their coaches too often. That was the one piece of advice Phil Savage said he'd give new GMs. He was sure guilty of that. It sure seems like Whaley was too. Here's hoping he turns it around.

1) Jerry Hughes for Kelvin Sheppard. One of the best trades in the last 10 years.

2) McCoy for Kiko, coming off knee surgery. One of the best trades in 10 years.

Isn't part of being a GM acquiring talent by any means necessary. I'm not a giant TT fan but you could argue he is one of the most successful FA qbs of the last 5 years. Incognito was a great move.

When you don't have an elite qb, all your misses are magnified. Last year, if you trade Brady for Taylor, there's not a doubt in mind we are SB contenders.

Whaley wasnt gm for the ONE OF THE BEST TRADES IN 10 years you are erroneously contributing to him.

He was responsible for EJ yet he had no say in trading for Hughes less than a month before he became GM?

Did you read that from my post? Hes responsible for not coming to the conclusion his hcs did: EJ Manuel wasnt good enough that warranted sticking with him. You know being stubborned trotting out a bust for a qb and only after a falling out with his coaching staff was Orton brought in.

Did you read that from my post? Hes responsible for not coming to the conclusion his hcs did: EJ Manuel wasnt good enough that warranted sticking with him. You know being stubborned trotting out a bust for a qb and only after a falling out with his coaching staff was Orton brought in.

He drafted a young qb and didn't want to give up on him after 10 games. I respect that a lot more than being spineless and overreacting to every game.

He drafted a young qb and didn't want to give up on him after 10 games. I respect that a lot more than being spineless and overreacting to every game.

Ah yes, sticking with a crap QB is respectable. Rex Ryan is one of the most respected coaches in the game for sticking with Sanchez to great success...