Prospect Watch: Mitch Trubisky QB, UNC

I'm 100% for taking Trub at 10th overall.

The kid has every trait to be a successful franchise QB in this league. I get a kick out people wanting another first RD WR when we don't have a franchise QB still.

I'd get a kick out of then having 2 QBs on our roster who got beat out in college by non-NFL talent and under 15 career games played.

• Replies 922
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Trubisky is a guy you move back into the 1st for, if he somehow slides.

This guy will be an NFL starter for a long time. Great kid, level-headed leader, hard worker, insanely accurate, good arm strength, and great mobility. He's got all the tools and intangible, he just needs a little more experience. I'm not saying he's the second coming of Joe Montana, but his floor is Chad Pennington. Right situation and coaching and he could end up alot like Aaron Rodgers. Similar traits (maybe not quite the same gun)

One year starter. HUGE red flag. One year college starting QBs never do squat in the NFL.

One year starter. HUGE red flag. One year college starting QBs never do squat in the NFL.

Where's your annual don't draft a qb thread at ? Hey guys. Trent, EJ, Fitz, Taylor, Jp are good enough !!

Did Trubiskey grow an inch and a half?

He's been an inch and a half taller than Tyrod the whole time. Gotta stay away from those 6'1 qb's huh ? Watch out for that corner.

Where's your annual don't draft a qb thread at ? Hey guys. Trent, EJ, Fitz, Taylor, Jp are good enough !!

Not wanting to draft a QB has nothing to do with those guys not being good enough.

Can you provide any examples of one year starters in college going on to be successful franchise QBs at the NFL level?

Edited by jrober38

If you think college stats mean anything when projecting NFL success you're a lost cause.

How are Timmy Change and Colt Brennan doing?

I'm only responding to your assertion that he's no better than EJ based on college stats. His stats are a good deal better than EJ and Tannehill. But yeah, not much analysis use on its own. My argument that he will be a good QB is based on intangibles and skills, buoyed by good stats. He'll need grooming, but we're in the QB market and can let him sit for a year or so. Right situation for him.

Not wanting to draft a QB has nothing to do with those guys not being good enough.

Can you provide any examples of one year starters in college going on to be successful franchise QBs at the NFL level?

I can provide 20/20 vision and I did watch Trubisky look like a NFL qb over and over and over again last year.

I don't care about what some other qb did 10 years ago. There is no correlation.

We pay a guy 20 mil who can't make the plays at 150 mark or 213 mark

Edited by Ryan L Billz

I'm only responding to your assertion that he's no better than EJ based on college stats. His stats are a good deal better than EJ and Tannehill. But yeah, not much analysis use on its own. My argument that he will be a good QB is based on intangibles and skills, buoyed by good stats. He'll need grooming, but we're in the QB market and can let him sit for a year or so. Right situation for him.

Fair enough. I can't argue with that.

Trubisky has traits you look for in a starting QB. His experience, and lack of game film worry me. The fact that he couldn't beat out a guy who couldn't sniff the NFL worries me considerably.

Overall he's got the look of an NFL QB, but I'm not sure how high his upside is. Maybe he's Matt Ryan, maybe he's Ryan Tannehill, maybe he's Alex Smith, maybe he's Blaine Gabbert.

I agree that it's currently a good situation for him to fall into provided we actually commit to red shirting him for a year. With that said, if he is available 10th overall and so many QB needy teams ahead of him pass him up, I won't have much faith in him being very good because the Bills never prove to be the "smartest guys in the room" on draft day.

I think it's far fetched to believe that some great QB prospect is just going to fall into our laps with the 10th overall pick.

Edited by jrober38

Overall he's got the look of an NFL QB, but I'm not sure how high his upside is. Maybe he's Matt Ryan, maybe he's Ryan Tannehill, maybe he's Alex Smith, maybe he's Blaine Gabbert.

He looks like a Blake Bortles type guy to me. Somewhere along the Bortles and Tannehill spectrum. I don't think he completely flops like a Gabbert.

He looks like a Blake Bortles type guy to me. Somewhere along the Bortles and Tannehill spectrum. I don't think he completely flops like a Gabbert.

I agree.

I think he turns into a Tannehill/Dalton type NFL QB. A guy who relies on having elite talent around him to survive at the NFL level.

If he was special, he'd have been on the field a lot sooner than he was at UNC.

He doesn't look like a future QB.

Yeah, who needs a guy with laser accuracy, great feet and a strong arm who is disciplined both on and off the field? We are Buffalo. We don't need talented quarterbacks. After all, we have Cardale Jones so we good. Its not as if running QB's like Tyrod are susceptible to injury or anything. We should just keep doing what we do, spend high first round picks on WR's and hope a playoff caliber QB falls from the sky onto our roster.

I think it's far fetched to believe that some great QB prospect is just going to fall into our laps with the 10th overall pick.

There have been a cpl recently that have gone well past 10 and are finding success.

If SF doesn't get Kirk Cousins, I think this is their guy, he seems to fit the type of QB that the new head coach likes (cousins and Ryan)

I'm kind of with Ryan L Blitz, I think he'll be a stud.

Fair enough. I can't argue with that.

Trubisky has traits you look for in a starting QB. His experience, and lack of game film worry me. The fact that he couldn't beat out a guy who couldn't sniff the NFL worries me considerably.

I agree that it's currently a good situation for him to fall into provided we actually commit to red shirting him for a year. With that said, if he is available 10th overall and so many QB needy teams ahead of him pass him up, I won't have much faith in him being very good because the Bills never prove to be the "smartest guys in the room" on draft day.

Marquise Williams was a really good college QB. He had that skill set, like V. Young, that translates well to college, but not so to the NFL (he's only a rookie anyways, and is with GB). Still, Trubisky beat him in spring practice and many UNC fans wanted him to start over Williams. But Williams got the start due to seniority and then lead the team to some big wins. All season the coaching staff kept looking for an opportunity to start Trubisky over him, but couldn't justify it with the winning streak they were on in 2015.

You're right to be skeptical of one year of experience, but there are other ways to analyze a QB. Just ask Brady.