Prospect Watch: Mitch Trubisky QB, UNC

Marquise Williams was a really good college QB. He had that skill set, like V. Young, that translates well to college, but not so to the NFL (he's only a rookie anyways, and is with GB). Still, Trubisky beat him in spring practice and many UNC fans wanted him to start over Williams. But Williams got the start due to seniority and then lead the team to some big wins. All season the coaching staff kept looking for an opportunity to start Trubisky over him, but couldn't justify it with the winning streak they were on in 2015.

You're right to be skeptical of one year of experience, but there are other ways to analyze a QB. Just ask Brady.

I don't buy it.

If you're a 1st round, franchise caliber NFL QB you're not sitting on the bench behind a guy who goes on to be an UDFA.

• Replies 922
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@jrober and @captainmurica. You both think Tyrod will improve next season as well ?

I think I've seen both of you say positive things regarding Taylor as a qb.

How much does that play in to these takes ?

Edited by Ryan L Billz

@jrober and @captainmurica. You both think Tyrod will improve next season as well ?

I think Taylor's supporting cast in the pass game was laughably bad last year.

Watkins missed 8 games and was at way less than 100% for 4-5 others. Woods missed time. Goodwin missed time. Beyond those guys we had guys who couldn't crack other NFL rosters.

If Watkins is healthy, and the Bills add a quality receiver in the first 3 rounds of the draft, I would expect Taylor to produce on the same level as 2015 when he had a more healthy supporting cast around him in the pass game.

I don't think Taylor is a long term option, and we should continue looking, I just don't see anything I like from this draft. I think this is a really bad QB draft class and in 3-4 years I won't be surprised one bit if we look at this group and don't see a single established NFL starting QB from this group.

Edited by jrober38

I don't buy it.

If you're a 1st round, franchise caliber NFL QB you're not sitting on the bench behind a guy who goes on to be an UDFA.

I'm sure you can find a few exceptions of guys that had to bide their time behind a less than NFL college QB. Cam Newton comes to mind. Let alone Tom Brady. Russell Wilson basically got benched at NC State for a nobody so had to transfer to Wisconsin.

It's a pretty shallow argument when you consider everyone at UNC was waiting for Trubisky to start. Williams, the Senior, just rose to the occasion. Trubisky probably should have waited a year to come out and it might cost him top 10 status.

I'm not saying we should take him at 10. I think we have more immediate needs with Tyrod back under center. But if we can trade down or take him in the 2nd I"m all for it

When you love Tyrod it feels like cheating to look at other options.

I'm sure you can find a few exceptions of guys that had to bide their time behind a less than NFL college QB. Cam Newton comes to mind. Let alone Tom Brady. Russell Wilson basically got benched at NC State for a nobody so had to transfer to Wisconsin.

It's a pretty shallow argument when you consider everyone at UNC was waiting for Trubisky to start. Williams, the Senior, just rose to the occasion. Trubisky probably should have waited a year to come out and it might cost him top 10 status.

I'm not saying we should take him at 10. I think we have more immediate needs with Tyrod back under center. But if we can trade down or take him in the 2nd I"m all for it

Cam Newton sat behind Tim Tebow for a year at Florida. Tebow was one of the greatest college QBs ever and a future 1st round pick.

Tom Brady started two years at Michigan. He sat behind Brian Griese who was a future 3rd round pick.

Russell Wilson transferred because he'd already graduated. NC State recruited Mike Glennon (former 5 star recruit) and Wilson opted to go to Wisconsin who were fresh off a Rose Bowl birth.

None of these situations are really comparable to Mitch Trubisky sitting behind a future UDFA.

Cam Newton sat behind Tim Tebow for a year at Florida. Tebow was one of the greatest college QBs ever and a future 1st round pick.

Tom Brady started two years at Michigan. He sat behind Brian Griese who was a future 3rd round pick.

Russell Wilson transferred because he'd already graduated. NC State recruited Mike Glennon (former 5 star recruit) and Wilson opted to go to Wisconsin who were fresh off a Rose Bowl birth.

None of these situations are really comparable to Mitch Trubisky sitting behind a future UDFA.

Sophomore sitting behind a two-year Senior starter. Still almost took his starting job. Makes sense to me. Plus some guys bloom later. Apparently he was a shy guy when he first came to UNC. Took some time to grow into a leader.

When you love Tyrod it feels like cheating to look at other options.

At 10 no way. I'd stay away from him unless he's there at 44 and I'd still rather look at a few other QBs first. Its funny, your HATRED of Tyrod is obvious. You'd sleep with any of these QBs....which are being universally panned as a weak QB class...

...but go on

I'd take this kid at 10 and not even think twice about it.

cant teach accuracy, as seen with EJ, Tyrod, JP, etc., and I think he has the best rookie year out of the whole class.

However, i do think he has to start right out of the gate.

For some odd reason, I think he will have a good career. Reminds me of chad Pennington, but without the injuries, and a stronger arm.

At 10 no way. I'd stay away from him unless he's there at 44 and I'd still rather look at a few other QBs first. Its funny, your HATRED of Tyrod is obvious. You'd sleep with any of these QBs....which are being universally panned as a weak QB class...

...but go on

No. I don't like Kizer or Watson in the first round but thanks for missing the point. Improving the QB position is critical for team success. You can't win trying to get every other unit elite to cover up for his flaws.

Not wanting to draft a QB has nothing to do with those guys not being good enough.

Can you provide any examples of one year starters in college going on to be successful franchise QBs at the NFL level?

Lots of QB's had trouble winning a starting job in college. Cam Newton started for one year at Auburn. I wouldn't give him credit for winning the starting job at Blinn College where he spent a year in exile after getting caught stealing a computer. Aaron Rogers didn't win the starting job until the 5th game of his Sophomore year then started as a junior before turning pro so he had only one full year as a starter. Flacco spent two years on the bench at Pitt because he couldn't beat out Tyler Palko for the starting job. He gave up on winning the job there and dropped down to Delaware, an FCS school. Trubisky left a year early and would have certainly started for another year had he remained. He saw significant action as the backup, scoring 14 TD's.

QB's leaving early is a relatively new development in the league so you can't really compare a guy like Trubisky to historical QB's based on number of years starting. It would be more fair to compare him to QB's who didn't start until their junior year. There are plenty examples of franchise QB's who didn't manage to win the starting job until their 3rd year in the program.

I would trust the tape on this guy and not dismiss him by relying on one factor, especially one that comes with many asterisks and caveats like how many years he started in college. If after looking at the tape you want to pass on him, fair enough but if you like what you see, don't talk yourself out of the pick.

Edited by Mickey

This is such an exaggeration it's hilarious.

Try the google machine or read eballs post on the first page.

http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/marquise-williams-1.html

He ran for 26 Td's junior and senior year and threw another 45 of them.

That's not good is it ? Apologize if you want.

Edited by Ryan L Billz

I think Tyrod is better than any option that is coming out in this current draft class. I do not think he is the long-term solution.

I DO NOT think a QB should be our first round selection and I also believe it won't be. We do not have a current number 2 CB on the roster. We need another starting Safety, #2 WR, RT, and WILL linebacker.

We do have a starting QB, if it's your choice or not, that's the facts.

Edited by Captain Murica

There is no Andrew Luck, Jameis Winston, or Marcus Mariota in this draft bruh. This class is 2013 or 2011 all over again.

Yep and last year Dak was Tebow 2.0 and Wentz played in a goofy stadium with no competition.

I kind of think trub will have a similar career to Winston and Marieta.

I think Watson will be a Jameis/Mariota hybrid. Tru will be somewhere between Dalton/Ryan/Luck. Edited by Ryan L Billz