Ryan gave brother Rob "run of the place" in 2016.

JM2009

I liked Rex when he 1st got here, I bought in... but he is just a bad coach. Then add Rob to the mix, who is even worse. Yuck!

Rex's only upside was players loved him. I don't want a coach to be loved. I want him to be respected. Just look at the Patriots, no one loves Hoodie...

Honestly, I thought the past two years this team had the talent to go really deep into the playoffs. Maybe even into the big game. He screwed this up so bad that now we are in a mini rebuild.

How did he fool every one 2 years ago? ....

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I liked Rex when he 1st got here, I bought in... but he is just a bad coach. Then add Rob to the mix, who is even worse. Yuck!

Rex's only upside was players loved him. I don't want a coach to be loved. I want him to be respected. Just look at the Patriots, no one loves Hoodie...

Honestly, I thought the past two years this team had the talent to go really deep into the playoffs. Maybe even into the big game. He screwed this up so bad that now we are in a mini rebuild.

I've heard former Raven and Jet players express their love for Rex. I don't sense the same type of love from Bills players.

My guess, based admittedly on scant - but consistent - evidence, is that Rex lost his drive and probably did delegate and relax too much during his tenure with the Bills.

It wasn't a complete disaster. We might have finished 8-8 if we played Tyrod in the season finale. A number of NFL teams were worse than the Bills. But Rex was not performing at peak and I suspect the players sensed it.

Depends what you expect. I don't grade my starting QB based on EJ Manuel. Unfortunately, because of Manuel a lot of Bills fans are grading the QB on a curve.

Most fans here knows better than comparing QB's to EJ. At least on this site,you're reaching with that statement.

Because of the material we are given from OBD.

Criticism of Pegula for hiring Ryan is well deserved, the 'first time' owner excuse is BS. That's why you let your football department make these kind of decisions.

Sets our team back a few years... again.

My comment was in jest. Those of us who said before last season what everyone is now saying about Rex got hammered for being "negative". That sort of thing doesn't always come across in print though.

not to really knock the thread JM. but it is pretty much irrelevant now with the circus rolled up and long gone. they're under a new regime now that seems to be putting things together pretty well so far under McD.

should be an exciting season ahead.

off the rails. why would you say that? sure the first wave may of been a little over whelming but it seems to have settled down some. I just wonder if some, like yourself, may of rather shut the door in the face of the new members rather than welcome them?

of and have, have two totally different meanings!

My comment was in jest. Those of us who said before last season what everyone is now saying about Rex got hammered for being "negative". That sort of thing doesn't always come across in print though.

I thought it may have been, but these days, who knows?

So would a good product.

But the Bills don't have a clue how to field one so they do their best sell job and of course the guillible fan base buys in.

A good coach is one of the first steps going toward a good product. (And yes, before you go off, a good QB is also an important ingredient.)

IMO a good coach is someone who makes wins out of losses and whose game plan and scheme overcomes lack of talent

And that's why Rex was fired by Pegs only after 2 years

I think he would still be here regardless of TT's play and all the failings of our offense

Because I give Rex credit for overseeing more points scored and a better efficient offense than what he took over in 2015

Which would have been the only reason to retain Rex

That is in contrast to having taken over a 2014 #2D and utilizing a new scheme and coaching that got much less out of the talent

When they continued that unabated in 2016 Pegs saw enough

I believe it was the PIT game when our owner came to the same conclusion most of us already had during the prior season

That's Rex's philosophy wasn't getting the most of our existing talent and he wasn't making wins out of loses

And having his brother around didn't change anything

jc

People are quick to say the players loved Rex. Who are these players? 10% off the players on Rex's teams? Media say so and who else? Ravens players when he was DC? I just don't get the propoganda. People are quick to say players love Rex.

Which Bills players loved Rex over the last two years? Serious, not a rhetorical question.

People are quick to say the players loved Rex. Who are these players? 10% off the players on Rex's teams? Media say so and who else? Ravens players when he was DC? I just don't get the propoganda. People are quick to say players love Rex.

Which Bills players loved Rex over the last two years? Serious, not a rhetorical question.

This was the biggest problem with Rex as an HC.

My own personal theory was that he got used to having players on his side in NY. He had a lot of vets left over from his first two successful years and they had a strong locker room presence behind him. He took that for granted when he went to Buffalo. He thought Dareus and Preston Brown and Mario were gonna be as insanely loyal to him as David Harris and that whole crew. The problem was, Rex didn't earn the backing of the Bills locker room like he did in NY. He just expected it. And they turned on him by the end of the first year, because he gave them no reason to believe in him.

Edited by FireChan

I seem to remember you were in favour of giving him the 2nd season Promo. Not fishing - this is a genuine question - at what point did you think the Bills needed to make a change?

I was also in favor of giving him a second season and for most of the year a 3rd. After the Raiders game I started to waffle, then after the 200 yards given to Leveon I started leaning away slightly. After the Miami game though I was all for letting him go. Not having 11 on the field AGAIN in a critical spot, letting a team in it at the end AGAIN, giving up 200 yards on the ground AGAIN. It appeared, that as another poster stated, Rex didn't really care. I ended up at the same place with Mario Williams. When you don't care enough to give maximum effort you can go. Others opined that Rex cared more about the title than being a football coach. I now agree with them. He was in love with being a celebrity. His teams lacked consistency because imo he lacked consistency in game prep. Some weeks you could tell he was invested and others he looked like he didn't give a sh*t. He took cronyism to a whole new level. It sucks that it didn't work, it sucks that he didn't put in the effort to make it work, it sucks that the Bills had to find a new coach (and system) 2 years later, but it doesn't suck that Rex won't be the HC next year.

Edited by section122