No Gilmore, No Woods, No Brown, No Chance

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Woods had 613 yards and 1 TD. what did we lose again?

The best, most consistent and most dedicated WR on our team. That's what we lost. Now we need to rely on China Doll actually playing with a boo boo.

The Bills right now are a 5-11 football team, especially with he schedule they have. Even if they keep the rest of their players, you know half of them end up not playing due to injuries. They need to trade down and get as many picks as possible and all of them contribute to even have a chance at 8-8. Exciting.

Where's the surprise, the mildest possible surprise, in that?

We're a team installing new defensive and offensive systems. For, what, the fifth time in the last eight or nine years? New systems often don't fit the old players well, so some will have to go despite the new coach (always) saying he can make anybody fit his system. We're a team dealing with a severe salary cap problem due to our GM's profligate ways.

And we are a team that had a 7 - 9 record last year.

What were you expecting, 14 - 2?

I know it sucks to deal with this, but it takes time, it always takes time. Bringing Rex in and then firing him took a massive amount of pure time. McDermott will also take time. So would anyone given this lineup to work with.

The best, most consistent and most dedicated WR on our team. That's what we lost. Now we need to rely on China Doll actually playing with a boo boo.

He wasn't the best on the team. But he was good.

As usual, the minute somebody goes to a different team the sour grapes thing kicks in and he wasn't anything. But actually nobody put up big numbers in that system with that QB. Woods was good. Not great, but good, and he'll likely put up a lot better numbers in his new gig. And we haven't got anybody to replace him - despite what McDermott says - outside of the draft. And draft WRs generally need time.

Edited by Thurman#1

I think mcdermott can coach the team to a guaranteed seven wins.

Its going to be up to tyrod to actually show something. I doubt he will. I see this as a 7-9 team with mccoy putting the team on his back game in,game out. forever stuck in limbo, until we get an actual QB.

I agree 100% Thurman

I hate to be repetitive but its not losing Woods that hurts, its more that we haven't replaced him

The same applies to Gilmore

At least Ragland should replace Zach and then some

IMO who we get to replace these higher profile starting that left will have a humungous impact on whether we are a 5 or 7 or 9 win team

jc

I'm always amazed how our fans put Gilmore down.....you read this thread and for the most part, you'd think he was a complete disaster.......The best coach in the NFL just gave him a huge contract and we tell ourselves that Gilmore sucked.....

Doesn't make any sense....

Most fans have no idea what good corner play looks like. Letting Gilmore walk was a dumb move.

The Bills right now are a 5-11 football team, especially with he schedule they have. Even if they keep the rest of their players, you know half of them end up not playing due to injuries. They need to trade down and get as many picks as possible and all of them contribute to even have a chance at 8-8. Exciting.

this is the secret tank plan to get Darnold, don't jinx it.

Most fans have no idea what good corner play looks like. Letting Gilmore walk was a dumb move.

Normally I would agree, but Gilmore is a man to man guy and doesn't fit the zone scheme so it made sense to let him walk. McD putts a premium on front 7 not back for so expect to see more moves in this direction.

Really? Miami made the playoffs last year

Good point and they made it being 0-2 vs. Pats. So I guess either I am being too strong on this, or we have both the Pats AND the Dolphins blocking the Bills' path. Bills with a talent drain from last year plus a likely stronger Fins vs last year's team actually makes the prospects even worse. Thank you for reminding me that we are probably starting the season 0-4 in both the division and conference, making it doubly hopeless.

He wasn't the best on the team. But he was good.

As usual, the minute somebody goes to a different team the sour grapes thing kicks in and he wasn't anything. But actually nobody put up big numbers in that system with that QB. Woods was good. Not great, but good, and he'll likely put up a lot better numbers in his new gig. And we haven't got anybody to replace him - despite what McDermott says - outside of the draft. And draft WRs generally need time.

Woods was dedicated. It showed, his blocking skills alone were a huge asset to the team. And a big part of his game. It's getting old being a farm team

for the rest of the league. He is a player that should not have got away. With the right QB and offensive system he will thrive.

For the same reason the team he signed with may have problems like the Bills did getting him the ball. Woods did not seem to fear contact.

That's why Woods would ideally make is a superb #3. He did not fear contact, With a healthy Sammy and a good-to very good #2 who apprently is on the team already? Playing woods in the slot, with decent TE's and the running game still firing on all cylinders. The offense would have been a force. Should have dumped Eric Wood too free up the bucks to keep him. Bad move by OBD. imo

Normally I would agree, but Gilmore is a man to man guy and doesn't fit the zone scheme so it made sense to let him walk. McD putts a premium on front 7 not back for so expect to see more moves in this direction.

Gilmore could fit any scheme. Do you spend big bucks on a corner when you are going to play zone is a fairer question. My answer would be - you do when the rest of your secondary is a guy who suffered a sophmore slump and two brand new safeties one of whom has been a rotational player for the Browns.

At the moment our secondary reads to me as two round about average league starters - Hyde and Darby, a backup level player and a huge question mark. I don't care what coverage you are playing - that should be a major, major worry. You still need guys that can cover.

Just players and next year you all be crabbing about who we let go just like last and the year before and ............

Just keep the right ones and release the wrong ones. I was broadly very content with their strategy last offseason - this one, not so much.

Edited by GunnerBill

Disagree that he didn't fit. I just think his skillset commanded more money than what he was going to be asked to do was worth.