most mocks have bills taking williams

buffuct

I have no idea why so many people hate the idea of Williams.

For one, we need a #2 receiver. Desperately. We saw a year of "making do" last year and I didn't like it. Say what you will about TT, but with Sammy hurt we might have had the single worst WR corps in the league.

Pretty much every evaluation I've seen of Williams has him as a top 15 prospect (at worst). He has the bigger build to be the contrast to Sammy and has a great catch radius.

I get trading down since this is a deep draft but the quality of WR looks like it falls off a cliff after Williams and Davis. Maybe some decent pieces, but not some who is going to replace Sammy of he goes down again.

Because he is a very limited route runner who couldn't get any separation in college and made a bunch of contested catches. Know what happens in the NFL? Those contested catches become knockdowns and interceptions because the CB's are stuck to him like glue. One trick ponies who do a single thing well typically do not succeed at the NFL level. At best this guy probably will be a red zone target. This is what happens when people don't understand the differences between college and the NFL. if the guy cannot get open against guys who aren't even good enough to play in the CFL, how the heck is he gonna get open against elite college QB's who now are better players?

The obvious answer? He won't.

You don't draft players 10th overall to be a red zone option. Let's use some sense.

Edited by matter2003

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Corey Davis at 10 is who I want. I don't think Sammy stays healthy and probably leaves after his rookie deal is up. Davis is the most complete WR on the board. Use the rest of the draft on defense. We just spent 3 high picks on D last year.

We're a Watkins injury from again having the worst WR core in the league.

Davis injury worries me as he done no offseason tests. I favor Mike Williams as he plays bigger. His size and red zone/speed numbers remind me a little of Dez Bryant.

I hate this pick so much. What happened last time we picked WR high with a limited QB?

We got a Pro Bowl talent at WR who'd likely been in a few if he could avoid the injury bug?

...just don't see more investment in the receiving corps (WR & TE) until TT can consistently demonstrate ability to process the entire field and find open guys.....you're retraining the "gray matter " to speed up if possible....film rats could probably go back and find numerous times guys broke off routes or coasted because they had zero confidence of seeing the ball......this kid's wheels cannot be the sole dependency factor to supplement an inconsistent passing component to this offense,,,,,,there is NO balance and "run or done" will NOT work IMO.....that's why we are "backfilling" the corps via FA with hopes somebody breaks out, either a new signing or an existing roster guy....would be nice if Listenbee or Logan Thomas broke through............

Problem with this, there are plenty that will show you stats of how well TT played with guys like Watkins and Woods in the lineup at the same time.

I love williams and davis. However, the stats haven't been in the favor of taking WRs early.

I can't envision Dennison being as ground and pound as Rex. I could absolutely see it being a focal point with the talent we have and have signed.

However, their is an argument to be made by the Tyrod support crowd that he needs better weapons and someone like Williams or Davis would go a long way.

I think Hooker, Adams, Lattimore, Allen are going to be off the board. So it's going to be between Foster & Howard an McDermott goes defense with his first pick to find his next Luke Kuechly.

The issue may be Foster's learning disability, which might cause some teams to be uncomfortable taking him high. Apparently Foster has considerable difficulty charting x's and o'x on the white board, but excels on the field when he can visualize what is in front of him. I suspect he slips into the 20s.

After looking at the Bills depth for all positions, I believe the most glairing need based on depth is at OLB, with CB coming in at a close second, and DE coming in at a distant third. WR, Safety, and RT have a lot of depth, but still have question marks.

Within the draft, I really don't see a lot of depth at LB in the later rounds that would produce a possible day 1 starter. That would be my # 1 need since we have two starting OLBs that are career special teams aces. DB is stacked this year, and I believe we can find a day 1 starter / contributor in the later rounds. DE is set with their two starters, but lack serious depth in a scheme that requires a lot of subbing in and out. Fortunately there is some solid depth here as well that we can address in the later rounds as well. We have projected starters, and projected backups for WR, S, and RT, but seriously lack the guy we truly desire so I could see us making a play on either one of these positions early in the draft. With this being said, here is my prediction for the upcoming draft.

1-10: Trade to Browns for 1-12, 4-108, 5-175 (Browns take Deshaun Watson)

1-12: Bills take OLB Ha'ason Reddick (With his athleticism, he'll fit any scheme. I project him to play the "Will" but will rush the passer often)

2-44: Bills take TE Evan Engram (Will be primarily a move TE with Clay / O'Leary filling most blocking duties)

3-75: Bills take CB Shaquill Griffin (Could start day 1. Physical, long armed, tackling CB)

4-108: Bills take DE Dawuane Smoot (More of a run defending DE, but would be thrown in rotation immediately)

5-156: Bills take WR Robert Davis (Had a great combine, but lacked production in college. Will play a role on special teams)

5-171 Bills take CB Brian Allen (Another combine freak. Could push for playing time, but needs a lot of work)

5-175 Bills take WR Levonte "Kermit" Whitfield (Kermit provides insurance to Listenbee, and is also a great return man)

6-195 Bills take OL Jerry Ugokwe (McDermott likes this kids potential as well as the school he comes from)

Well there you have it. As you can see there are no QBs taken this year, but the Bills will surely add one via free agency after the draft. The Bills will also sign a few more pass rushers and LBs as well.

GO BILLS!

After looking at the Bills depth for all positions, I believe the most glairing need based on depth is at OLB, with CB coming in at a close second, and DE coming in at a distant third. WR, Safety, and RT have a lot of depth, but still have question marks.

Within the draft, I really don't see a lot of depth at LB in the later rounds that would produce a possible day 1 starter. That would be my # 1 need since we have two starting OLBs that are career special teams aces. DB is stacked this year, and I believe we can find a day 1 starter / contributor in the later rounds. DE is set with their two starters, but lack serious depth in a scheme that requires a lot of subbing in and out. Fortunately there is some solid depth here as well that we can address in the later rounds as well. We have projected starters, and projected backups for WR, S, and RT, but seriously lack the guy we truly desire so I could see us making a play on either one of these positions early in the draft. With this being said, here is my prediction for the upcoming draft.

1-10: Trade to Browns for 1-12, 4-108, 5-175 (Browns take Deshaun Watson)

1-12: Bills take OLB Ha'ason Reddick (With his athleticism, he'll fit any scheme. I project him to play the "Will" but will rush the passer often)

2-44: Bills take TE Evan Engram (Will be primarily a move TE with Clay / O'Leary filling most blocking duties)

3-75: Bills take CB Shaquill Griffin (Could start day 1. Physical, long armed, tackling CB)

4-108: Bills take DE Dawuane Smoot (More of a run defending DE, but would be thrown in rotation immediately)

5-156: Bills take WR Robert Davis (Had a great combine, but lacked production in college. Will play a role on special teams)

5-171 Bills take CB Brian Allen (Another combine freak. Could push for playing time, but needs a lot of work)

5-175 Bills take WR Levonte "Kermit" Whitfield (Kermit provides insurance to Listenbee, and is also a great return man)

6-195 Bills take OL Jerry Ugokwe (McDermott likes this kids potential as well as the school he comes from)

Well there you have it. As you can see there are no QBs taken this year, but the Bills will surely add one via free agency after the draft. The Bills will also sign a few more pass rushers and LBs as well.

GO BILLS!

i think i just read this on another topic like two minutes ago good job though

Edited by buffuct

i think i just read this on another topic like two minutes ago good job though

LMAO!! Yeah I got yelled at yesterday on the "Shout" board, but damn man there are like 10 draft boards going on at once. Someone needs to centralize them.

I hate this pick so much. What happened last time we picked WR high with a limited QB?

Big difference in using two 1sts and a 4th on a WR with EJ Manuel as your QB in what was thought to be one of the best WR drafts in history (it was) and....

Using the 10th pick to grab one of the two eilite WRs in the draft when your WR corp is arguably the worst in the NFL and you have a competent QB in Taylor.

Edited by Billy Zabka

Kiper vs McShay latest dueling mock draft:

Kiper: O.J. Howard, TE, Alabama | Watch highlights
Buffalo badly needs pass-catchers, and Howard is the best tight end in the draft. He has all of the athletic attributes (4.51 40 at 6-6, 251) of a top-tier all-around player. Charles Clay has underperformed the five-year deal he signed in 2015.

McShay: Marshon Lattimore, CB, Ohio State | Watch highlights
If Lattimore fell this far, his history of hamstring injuries would probably be the biggest reason. Durability issues aside, the Bills would be thrilled to see Lattimore available here. He has elite coverage ability and good ball skills. Plus, cornerback is suddenly a much bigger need in Buffalo after it lost Stephon Gilmore in free agency.

I honestly don't know enough about the draft class to speculate -that's why I come here. But I don't like a WR @ 10 because we're paying a solid TE a hefty amount for 35 catches a year as our QB just doesn't have good field vision. Add in that we're a Run 1St offense which has led the League 2 years running (pun) and a primo pick in what is considered a very deep draft would be much better spent on defense or OL, imo.

He seems to find Sammy Watkins pretty well

First time I've seen him mocked to us

Josh Norris of Rotoworld

10. Buffalo Bills - LB Haason Reddick, Temple - Linebacker is a pivotal position in Sean McDermott’s defense, and athleticism is a critical factor for linebackers to star in the system.

Neither Preston Brown or Reggie Ragland scream “range” like Luke Kuechly and Thomas Davis. Reddick offers that athleticism (93rd percentile) as well as possible blitzing or pass rushing possibilities.

Edited by CNY315