If your not from WNY how'd you start to root for the Bills?

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am amazed at the volume of non-WNY'ers that are Bills fans. THANKS to you all.

Someday........

I had always been worried about whether or not I'd be accepted among native WNYers as a Bills fan since I'm not from the area. Turns out, on this board, as well as with the people I watch Bills games with each Sunday, it doesn't really matter where I'm from. As long as I'm a Bills fan, I'm accepted. Best fanbase in the league.

Edited by Talley56

My favorite one of these stories:

I was at a bar in Winston-Salem NC and it was just me and some other guy watching the BIlls game. We got to talking and he had a really thick southern accent so I asked him, "How did you end up becoming a Bills fan"??

His response: "Welp, my name's Bill"

He went on to explain that when he was a kid he got a pencil that said "Bills" on it in school. He thought it was pretty cool and has been rooting for them ever since. Cracked me up.

Born in NJ but my father lived in Buffalo for 30 years: When parents split I spent a lot of time in Buffalo from early 80's-2000's and i got hooked on the Sabres and Bills at an equal clip. Now living in Orange County CA I still follow both teams closely and watch the Bills at Backers bars around LA/OC County.

Grew up in Niagara County. Was in middle school & started getting into sports when the Bills arrived in 1960.

All the guys on our street were fans also & would get together and run pass routes against one another. We would pretend

we were either Ernie Warlick or Glenn Bass & the guy throwing was, of course Kemp. That was a long, long time ago, but

even now, I live & die on each play when I watch them.

Two of those guys I threw passes to were my next door neighbors, brothers. Their both gone, one from an accident,

the other of natural causes. Couple of other buddies got in trouble w/ the law when they grew up and I have no

idea where they are now. But we stayed Bills fans all the way through.

I grew up in Astoria Queens as a Mets, Jets and Islanders fan. My father and I had Jets season tickets and attended games since I was about 10. In 1983 the Jets owner Leon Hess left New York (he was dishonest in my opinion, its a long and uninteresting story for non-Jets fans) So in 1984 I started cheering for the only team in New York.

Since then I became a Bills season ticket holder in 1994 and have attended at least 2 games each year in Buffalo in addition to the road games at the Jets, Patriots and occasionally the Giants. Buffalo has become my beloved vacation home. (A common description I'm sure :) ).

I love the city and region.

I now live in Massachusetts and still proudly fly the Bills flag outside my house and on my car.

Born and raised in Queens. My friends and I would go to Shea and watch Jet games. I liked them because of Namath (my father was born in Alabama) and I much preferred the AFL to the NFL.

When the Jets moved to New Jersey I didn't forgive them. I became a Bills Fan and never looked back.

Being a Bills Fan and a Crimson Tide Fan is really strange. As an Alabama Fan, you are an immediate member of a cult that wins. It's crazy. Sometimes they will be losing and you can just feel that they will come back. Then the other team makes one mistake and it's lights out.

I have been a Bills Fan for decades now. I've got to meet and know some of the best, nicest, and most knowledgeable fans in the country. Also, they are some of the funniest people on earth. Much of the humor is pain based.

I have no regrets. My daughters are Bills Fans and they are fighters, and loyal people. I guess the most weird thing is that I admit to feeling just a tad guilty after the Tide rolls over someone. Bills Fans deserve a team like this.

Let's just make the playoffs, OK?

Bill we have almost the same exact story! Including being 'Bama fans for the same reason (I also loved the Snake). My four kids are all die hard (often) Bills fans too,. Loyalty runs deep.

Grew up in Vegas. The Bills would be on TV in the morning when I would wake up as a kid. They were good and wore red/white/blue, Merica! Because they were good, they were always on TV. If I had known geography when I was little, I probably would have picked a different team. I've tried being a chargers fan, but for some reason, I LOVE the Bills.

My only complaint about the Raiders moving here to Vegas is that I wish it was the Bills...

Born and raised on Long Island, New York. The first game I watched and cared about was the Giants vs Bills in SuperBowl 25 (I was 6 years old). My mother's BF at the time was big into Football and even wore his High School jersey all the time. We were watching the game and I remember asking him what team he liked, he told me this one is hard since both teams are New York. He asked me what I team I was rooting for, I liked the Bills' helmet and the team name, I've been hooked ever since.

Born and raised in the South Bronx. Went to UB during the Super Bowl run. Buffalo was such a small city you would bump into the players almost every night. I remember the hot bar to go to on Sunday night's was "No Names", and we would see a lot of the players almost every weekend. There was like 1 hot bar for everyday of the week that had Bills players socializing with the locals.

I embraced the love the city had for the Bills and I never let that love go.

Live in DC area now and haven't been back to Buffalo since 1995, but thanks to Grevey's, Laughing Man, Jimmy's Tavern, and Direct Tv, I haven't missed a game on TV in a decade.

Bill we have almost the same exact story! Including being 'Bama fans for the same reason (I also loved the Snake). My four kids are all die hard (often) Bills fans too,. Loyalty runs deep.

That is very cool.

Although there are plenty of haters, I am often surprised at the number of Crimson Tide Fans that post here. I have been to 16 Bills games and have yet to see the Tide in Tuscaloosa (although I did see them years ago at the Meadowlands). It costs WAY more than watching the Bills.

The Bills are a qb, a good draft and a GM away from being a playoff team imo. I would not be surprised if TT gets us in the playoffs. If McDermott can coach and Whaley is isolated/fired, we just might creep in imo.

GO BILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

When my kids get older, I am not sure what I am going to do. We live in steelers country now obviously and so I feel kinda bad forcing the Bills on them. For me, growing up in WNY, it made sense. But not sure I want them to miss out on being a fan of the local team.

My boys grew up in Buc's country. When they turned 16 I took them both to a Bills game in Buffalo. A rite of passage. The older son had been to Bills/Buc's in Tampa just a few weeks earlier. I asked "so how did they compare?". He said there was no comparison at all, and they are both HUGE Bills fans today! The cool part is, I get texts almost daily from them, even in the offseason, about the Bills. Hearing from them is priceless! Thank you Buffalo Bills. :)