If your not from WNY how'd you start to root for the Bills?

My Dad had worked in the area for a while and went to a Bills game or two back in the 80's. Super Bowl 25 was the first football game I remember. Naturally I was rooting for the Bills because my dad was pulling for them as well. Norwood misses the field goal and I cried myself to sleep that night. Yet from an early age I was hooked on the team.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Born and raised in Northern California and the glory era Bills were the only team on regularly during my impressionable years. Plus, the were damn good. My dad got Directv the first year and while I am no Pinto Kenny, literally never missed a game that I wasn't at sine the mid 90s.

No ties to Western New York at all. Still live in Nor Cal and this is my 10th year as a season ticket holder. Travel to B-lo multiple times a year and hit a couple roadies too. While the last decade as a season ticket holder has been brutal from a drought standpoint, I wouldn't trade the time and money spent with my Buffalo brethren in the lots of the Ralph for anything in the world. As a 35 year old, I know the taste of winning. Really feel for the following generation that at best knows MCM as the "peak" of their Bills fandom.

One day, boys

Born and raised in Toronto, Canada... back in the 1960's, television here was dominated by the big three American networks... and the stations available to us were based in Buffalo. We watched the local Buffalo newscasts and always had access to tons of Bills coverage. After Buffalo drafted a certain generational running back from USC... who, despite all that's happened in the intervening years, might just have been the most exciting football player that I have ever seen... my interest in the team really took off. A bit later on, when my friends and I could actually drive down to Orchard Park to see the Chuck Knox era teams play in person... I was completely hooked. The Marv Levy (a former CFL coaching great) Bills teams were just incredible... it's a crime that they didn't win at least one Championship. Granted... it's been a long drought since then... but I'm always ready to believe that the next season is the one where things will start to turn around again. Go Bills!

Edited by Jamie Mueller

My Dad had worked in the area for a while and went to a Bills game or two back in the 80's. Super Bowl 25 was the first football game I remember. Naturally I was rooting for the Bills because my dad was pulling for them as well. Norwood misses the field goal and I cried myself to sleep that night. Yet from an early age I was hooked on the team.

Most infants cry at night.

Edited by inaugural balls

Born and raised in Northern California, and as a kid I liked teams that were winning. I was actually a Dolphins fan for awhile. Even cheered for the Bengals a little.

The main reason I became a Bills fan was because of Jim Kelly. I liked him when he was in college. Didn't pay much attention to the USFL, but when he officially became a Bill, I started following the Bills. They still were a bad team, and since there was no such thing as Sunday Ticket, Bills games were never aired in California.

As the Bills added more and more players, especially Thurman Thomas, I really liked what they were putting together. So they became my team, and I've been cheering for them ever since.

I still have yet to go to my first game in Buffalo. I've never been there. Yet I have met so many great fans at various road games over the years. Can't wait to go there for a game. Maybe this year?

GO BILLS!!!

Mom and Dad grew up in Rochester and graduated from Buff State in '79. Soon there after and just before I was born they moved down to FL.

I was conceived in B-Lo and my dad forced this wretched curse upon me, those are my ties. Go Bills.

Born and raised in Northern California, and as a kid I liked teams that were winning. I was actually a Dolphins fan for awhile. Even cheered for the Bengals a little.

The main reason I became a Bills fan was because of Jim Kelly. I liked him when he was in college. Didn't pay much attention to the USFL, but when he officially became a Bill, I started following the Bills. They still were a bad team, and since there was no such thing as Sunday Ticket, Bills games were never aired in California.

As the Bills added more and more players, especially Thurman Thomas, I really liked what they were putting together. So they became my team, and I've been cheering for them ever since.

I still have yet to go to my first game in Buffalo. I've never been there. Yet I have met so many great fans at various road games over the years. Can't wait to go there for a game. Maybe this year?

GO BILLS!!!

No more excuses, Marky Mark. Make it happen this year. Home opener, dude

I'm from Erie. In the 70s choices were Steelers or Browns ... ugg and meh. I just couldnt get in to NFL football. But sometimes we got Toronto station and in early 80s saw a commercial by some new hotshot quarterback for the Bills ... name was Jim ... bills were like 3-13 prior year and I thought, "this guy seems confident, and this team has no where to go but up ... maybe they could even go to the Superbowl." I have been an unbending Bills fan since.

It worked out well when I met a gal from Wilson and met her family ... Bills fans. Married 23 years and counting.

No more excuses, Marky Mark. Make it happen this year. Home opener, dude

Yeah, you need to go Mark Vader. It's almost like a religious experience. You need to come visit the promised land. It should be a journey that all Bills fans experience. I try and go to one game a year. My rules: Pick a game early in the season (so, it's guaranteed to be relevant), and pick a team they "should" beat (winning makes it so much better). Last year I went to the 49ers game.