Changes coming to Bills front office?

The news conference was not Scott's fault.

In fact, Pegula Sports and Entertainment chief spokesman Mark Preisler was also in attendance.

There was very little that could have been done to save Whaley from himself on that day.

Anyone interjecting from the BIlls side would've essentially been throwing fuel on this tire fire, in my opinion.

What's astounding is that I'm told that Whaley was prepped beforehand.

jw

Oh my I think I could prep a number of my 30 or so 20-25 year old workers to handle that much more efficient and intellectually.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So if Whaley knows he is getting the axe, what if he pulls a John Butler?

Round Pick Player Position College Notes 1 26 Erik Flowers DE Arizona State 2 58 Travares Tillman FS Georgia Tech 3 89 Corey Moore LB Virginia Tech 4 121 Avion Black WR Tennessee State 5 156 Sammy Morris RB Texas Tech 6 194 Leif Larsen DE UTEP 7 233 Drew Haddad WR Buffalo 7 251 DaShon Polk LB Arizona

Oh the horror! Though I must say I was psyched about Corey Moore!

Pegula heard that Mcdermott is a wrestler. He brings it up all the time.

Rightfully so. There is no sport more demanding and anyone has ever had the privilege to walk on a mat understands individual accountability. And I am not a DW hater but understand alpha male situations. SMcD is now the alpha male in the tank. DM has to go.

http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/191557-the-new-jw-tweets-111-questions-on-whaley-tt/?p=4213302

http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/191557-the-new-jw-tweets-111-questions-on-whaley-tt/?p=4213345

Keep in mind these posts jive with the OP by JW:

http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/191557-the-new-jw-tweets-111-questions-on-whaley-tt/?p=4213247

I think we're seeing it play out exactly like Wawrow insinuated. Monos and Pegula wanted McD. Whaley was finishing up the scouting year and is gone.

Win for the organization if true. Monos seems to speak intelligently, hopefully if handed the reigns l, he can get the job done. Im sure Whaley will get hire in 1.2 nanoseconds (sarcasm) Edited by Bill_with_it

Rightfully so. There is no sport more demanding and anyone has ever had the privilege to walk on a mat understands individual accountability. And I am not a DW hater but understand alpha male situations. SMcD is now the alpha male in the tank. DM has to go.

No. Terry Pegula is the Alpha. McD and Whaley are equals. And that is the problem.

TP needs to get out of the way. Make his GM (whoever that is) the boss, and institute a real pecking order.

I think Whaley got exactly what he wanted out of the press conference. It was his why of saying to pegs , you made this mess. I am not covering for you , get out of hiding and deal with it.

That's kinda how I read it at the time too. The Pegulas wont let him call the shots, but expect him to stand in front of the firing squad for them. Weak leadership.

Is it possible that Whaley, who by all accounts doesn't like, and hasn't performed well at press conferences, actually asked not to do any more press conferences? And Pegs, who also seemingly doesn't like talking to the media, granted that request.

And there's nothing here that's more sinister than that?

or that the new VP of Communications put together a plan of action to better communicate with the media and it included using McD instead of Whaley in press conferences ...

I wouldn't read too much into the luncheon. The Bills have been clear that they are now 1 voice. That voice is McDermott.

For what it is worth I don't think Whaley will be fired. The Pegulas really like him. I can see a promotion to some more VP type role.

This is definitely a possibility. LaCanfora is not a reliable source and this could just be speculation. Wawrow noting that the pre-draft luncheon is a huge departure from the way things have generally been done in the past is significant, but it doesn't necessarily mean Whaley is getting fired. Pegula hasn't been the owner for 17 years, so that fact could mean even less than it's being made out to be. Pegula DID say that he employs a GM to win games, not to "win" a press conference. This could be a case of letting Whaley do what he's good at and letting the HC, who is much more comfortable dealing with the media, be the face of the organization. I mean this IS what the team told us there would do a while ago. It is also entirely possible that as McD's influence grows, Whaley is less assured of his job. The point is, we don't really have enough information to deduce anything and everything being said is pure speculation.

"Logical fallacy"??

The HC is fired right after his team is eliminated from playoff contention (to the apparent surprise of the GM)----and it's "entirely possible" that Rex was fired for reasons "unrelated to making the playoffs"?

This is awesome!

Yes, logic. You should recognize the word, it's the thing that is missing from the majority of you posts and opinions

And I apologize to those if I've broken the rules of conduct here in my response to Promo here.

But his nonesensical attacks are just that.

I believe I deserve the opportunity to defend myself, given what Promo has posted in his various stalking methods, first on twitter and now bringing that discussion to here.

I'll take whatever discipline you see fit.

But I'll promise to merely ignore Promo after this last exchange.

It's futile dealing with him.

jw

Thanks again jw.

it is the first time the GM won't be there in 17 years because it's the first one not controlled by Berchtold in that same amount of time, and the team (Boyko) has already said McD is doing all media.

What it means for Whaley within the organization I do not know but I agree with Gunner that from all reports right after the season, Whaley is well entrenched with the Pegulas.

This is certainly a LOGICAL possibility

I think it's weird you get so worked up over me.

I never attacked you. I don't stalk you. I do have opinions and I apologize if they hurt or annoy you.

You know John posts on TBD. Is there a particular reason you felt you should tweet at him rather than ask him a question in a less public forum? Methinks thou doth protest too much. I feel like PTR has a poster of JW up in his room, a hand drawn version of Wawrow's twitter pic where half his face is covered by a cd

But those situations are different.

Wawrow reports facts that he personally vets. The things that he does not report are not vetted.

LaCanfora reports things that may not have any validity.

In this thread, LaCanfora is being challenged for being a crappy reporter. On Twitter, you're attacking Wawrow for making a comment that he is not reporting as any kind of fact.

Not to mention attacking a reporter who stakes his name and reputation while posting on TBD is just kind of a dick move. He's not an anonymous poster.

THIS

One last thing:

Some people here think I have the answers to everything or that I'm holding back on information.

I have some answers and ideas.

But I refuse to speculate.

To suggest that I'm holding back on Whaley being gone is absolute baloney.

If I have that information, I would most certainly report it.

I don't.

jw

Thanks JW. Most of us, those who are not secretly pining for your validation, understand that you have a job to do and you require verifiable facts in order to do it.

I'll weigh in on saying Bills upper management was and remains unhappy with Whaley's lack of clarity during the press conference in what was considered a train-wreck from league-wide NFL people.

It was an absolute embarrassment, and the only reason both Terry and Kim Pegula were made available to the AP and WGR not long after the news conference ended.

I did make a request to speak to both Terry and Kim immediately after the news conference because much clarity was needed.

The fact that Terry called me within 15 minutes of my text was surprising. It was also an indication that the Bills went to Plan B and felt there was need for much clarification after Whaley revealed nothing and raised more question than answers.

It was a low point in Whaley's tenure, and much of it brought upon himself because he declined interview requests throughout the season except to speak briefly on Percy Harvin's signing, during which the questions were strictly limited to Percy.

Any astute manager should know that there was plenty of tension built up over such a lengthy period of time involving a variety of issues -- Rex's future and eventual firing/Lynn's promotion/Tyrod's benching/Tyrod's long-term future that it would take a skilled person to address those issues head on. Instead, we the media and Bills fans by extension were fed a lot of "I'm not privy to that" answers.

Well, if Whaley wasn't privy to these things, then it begged Bucky's question as to what in fact he does.

Whaley was put out there to speak for ownership.

That ownership had to scramble to the rescue reflected poorly on the GM.

No, GMs aren't judged on press conference's alone.

In this case, the exception was the rule, leading to many inside 1BillsDrive to question Whaley's ability.

jw

Just got to this post,

Thanks again for making everything CRYSTAL CLEAR! :)

So you agree that lacanfora has at least some credibility on the subject?

For what it's worth, I think (could be wrong) that lacanfora was on the right track on Rex/tyrod at the end of the season.

So it's like saying "I could care less" ?

So if Whaley knows he is getting the axe, what if he pulls a John Butler?

Round Pick Player Position College Notes 1 26 Erik Flowers DE Arizona State 2 58 Travares Tillman FS Georgia Tech 3 89 Corey Moore LB Virginia Tech 4 121 Avion Black WR Tennessee State 5 156 Sammy Morris RB Texas Tech 6 194 Leif Larsen DE UTEP 7 233 Drew Haddad WR Buffalo 7 251 DaShon Polk LB Arizona

I just throw up in my mouth. My God I can do better throwing darts at the wall blind folded.

He didnt want or hire Rex. Rex was forced on him.

Then, that HC answers directly to the owners in parallel with the GM so there is no real chain of accountability. Just the owners who cant be fired.

This makes Whaley basically a scout with a higher title. He did a good job at getting Marrone's staff "their type of players", he does a good job of getting Rex's staff "their type of players", we keep changing coaches and coordinators (and therefore scheme) EVERY YEAR so of course the GM cant ever build a team.

Dude has been sandbagged at every turn. Like I said, no chain of accountability makes it a sinking ship. It will never succeed that way. No business or team can.

I agree with a lot of what you said. Going back to the press conference and McD hiring and organizational structure, I seem to recall hearing that teams do it both ways. Some have the coach report to the owners, like the Bills. The coach oversees things and the GM is in an advisory role.