Kouandjio to LT experiment.

The Bills only have about $14M in cap space and will need about $6m to pay their 2017 draft picks. They only have 59 players on their current roster, which they will need to expand to 90 players.

They still have lots of improvements to make (i.e. backup QB, TE, WR, DT, DE, DT, LB, LB, CB, CB, CB, S).

The team has been signing bargin-basement FAs for a reason. I would not say that the Bills have plenty of cap space at this point.

I don't think there's any doubt that Glenn will play where he's asked to play. The team would not lower his salary if they were to move him to RT.

I think the new coaching staff would be open to this idea since they are starting from scratch.

According to Spotrac your numbers are close but just a little off. They have the Bills at 9.95 million subtracting the rookie pool or 16.3 with the rookie pool.

You have listed 12 "improvements" but I see it a little differently. I think you are dead on for QB, WR, CB, CB, S, S, LB as positions that need to be upgraded. I think DT, TE, RT, and DE could be upgraded but probably won't. That leaves 7 spots that need an upgrade and they have 6 picks with 10 million dollars to fill the holes. Not in as bad of a spot as most of us thought at the start of preseason. Unfortunately I don't see a roster ready to make it over the hump but it's spring time and time for optimism!

edit: on topic I would really like to know if they have approached Glenn about this and what his response would be. I agree with others that the talent need is closing between RT and LT and it would allow for the best set of tackles imo. Groy out at RT makes me nervous as inside guys don't generally kick outside with much success.

Edited by section122

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Glenn is not moving to RT.

Kouandijo is probably not even making this team based on his injury and the fact he is going to miss all OTAs and he is just average to begin with.

Also, Glenn is likely to be looking for a new contract in 2 years when his guarantees are up and the Bills can opt out of the deal in 2019 if they want to. He will be 30 at the end of this contract so he is going to get another pretty good deal if he keeps up solid LT play. He is not going to like moving to the RT spot for potentially 2 years to weaken his position on a new contract, either with the Bills or another team.

Secondly, let's just say that, magically, CK plays simply average at LT. He needs a new contract next year. Average tackle play for a guy in his mid-20s will cost you roughly 5 - 8 million on the salary cap depending on the contract. So now we are looking at spending between 17 and 21 mil to get an average LT and a great RT. That amount of money invested in both T positions should give you the best T combo in the league, not an average starter at one spot and a great one at the other.

Glenn is not moving to RT.

Kouandijo is probably not even making this team based on his injury and the fact he is going to miss all OTAs and he is just average to begin with.

Also, Glenn is likely to be looking for a new contract in 2 years when his guarantees are up and the Bills can opt out of the deal in 2019 if they want to. He will be 30 at the end of this contract so he is going to get another pretty good deal if he keeps up solid LT play. He is not going to like moving to the RT spot for potentially 2 years to weaken his position on a new contract, either with the Bills or another team.

Secondly, let's just say that, magically, CK plays simply average at LT. He needs a new contract next year. Average tackle play for a guy in his mid-20s will cost you roughly 5 - 8 million on the salary cap depending on the contract. So now we are looking at spending between 17 and 21 mil to get an average LT and a great RT. That amount of money invested in both T positions should give you the best T combo in the league, not an average starter at one spot and a great one at the other.

This theory does not hold water.

For starters, Glenn's value is not going to be diminished by moving to RT for a single season. If a guy has shown that he can play LT, that's what he'll get paid to do, see contracts like Erik Fisher and Andrew Whitworth, who got paid like LTs even though they flipped between sides (and in Whitworth's case, positions). Heck, even some guys that haven't shown that they can play LT (like Lane Johnson) are getting paid like LTs.

The money is a non-issue.

As for Kouandjio, the whole point of inserting him at LT isn't to usurp Glenn; it's to get the best set of tackles on the field for this team, this year. If he shows well at LT, then he leaves in FA--because Glenn is going to move back to LT regardless. Moving Kouandjio gives you time to find and groom a replacement at RT. The bonus is that Cyrus signing for LT money in FA probably gives you a great shot at a 3rd round comp pick--I think every single person on this board would take a late 3rd round pick in 2018 for Kouandjio if offered a trade.

Edited by thebandit27

With the Bills strapped for cap space (i.e. they're having a tough time signing a vet FA RT) and with only six draft picks (R1,R2,R3,R5,R5,R6) it may be wise for this new coaching staff to seriously consider placing Kouandjio at LT and Glenn at RT rather than going with the more conventional Glenn at LT and Mills at RT.

Your thoughts.

I am a vet FA RT. Been doing it my whole life. Few as good as me.

With the Bills strapped for cap space (i.e. they're having a tough time signing a vet FA RT) and with only six draft picks (R1,R2,R3,R5,R5,R6) it may be wise for this new coaching staff to seriously consider placing Kouandjio at LT and Glenn at RT rather than going with the more conventional Glenn at LT and Mills at RT.

Mills was a turnstile at RT last year, arguably the worst RT in the league. That needs to be improved upon.

I know that Glenn is being paid like a LT, and therein lies the rub for the Bills' front office. But the bottom line is that the Bills should be putting the best players on the field if they hope to win more games.

Because of Kouandjio's prior knee injury, he doesn't play RT very well. However, he does seem to play LT very well.

Possible scenarios:

Glenn - LT/Mills - RT

Kouandjio - LT/Glenn - RT

Glenn - LT/Ducasse - RT

Glenn - LT/Groy - RT

There are a lot of possibilities but I think that the Kouandjio - LT/Glenn - RT experiment is at least worth exploring because it may prove to be the most successful.

Your thoughts.

At the very least they should try it out for a week or so in Training Camp.. makes too much to not at least give it an honest look.

Glenn already got his big long term payday deal as a LT so I don't think he'd be too worried about how moving to RT would impact his next contract.

Also Ricky Wagner just got $9 mil to play RT for the Lions so I think teams are starting to value RT and their price will keep going up over time.

Edited by Bocephuz

Maybe they've already evaluated that option and decided that the combination go CK at LT and Glenn at RT is not better, or maybe even a weaker combination overall than Glenn and Mills staying where they are and continue to create more competition and upgrade a RT.

thats possible, good point

I have read and heard from several places that CK plays better at LT because a previous knee injury hampers him at RT. Does anyone know if this is a fact or not? Seems to me if an NFL player has lingering effects from an injury that reduces his strength in going a certain direction then he would be replaced by someone who has no issues. It isnt like he is an All Pro veteran that even at 75% he is better than most players at his position. Am I wrong?

I have read and heard from several places that CK plays better at LT because a previous knee injury hampers him at RT. Does anyone know if this is a fact or not? Seems to me if an NFL player has lingering effects from an injury that reduces his strength in going a certain direction then he would be replaced by someone who has no issues. It isnt like he is an All Pro veteran that even at 75% he is better than most players at his position. Am I wrong?

Apparently he can't push off very well when he plays on the right side because of his right knee.

The team announced that backup offensive tackle Cyrus Kouandjio suffered a non-football injury to his hip after falling at his home. The 6-foot-7, 322-pound, 23-year-old underwent successful surgery and is expected to be ready for training camp, the Bills said in the press release.
Entering the final year of his rookie deal, missing all offseason workouts prior to Training Camp hurts Kouandjio's chances of earning playing time and could eventually hasten the end of the offensive tackle's career in Buffalo

You are wasting your breath on this one. Like typical Bills fans, everyone chooses to bury their heads in the sand about his injury. The fact that the statement by the same front office that soft sold and mislead us about Ragland's injury last year also said that Kujo "should" be ready for training camp does not concern anyone. Even if he does return 100% and with no lingering aftereffects, everyone is unconcerned about the team getting enough reps for the new line to gel with such a major change with him missing all offseason workouts and practices before training camp. And the fact that everyone seems to accept as fact that the lingering effects of an old injury effects him enough that he can't play RT, while not being concerned how the lingering effects of his latest injury might effect his future performance as well. I have brought this up repeatedly and have been ignored.

In another discussion someone mentioned Austin Pasztor at about 5 Million, which would be a huge upgrade over Mills, and do-able with our cap space. That would seem more reasonable considering the lack of viable OTs in the draft this year.

This idea that CK can play LT but can't play RT is a bit overblown I feel like. Maybe he just happened to finally develop as a football player while playing LT. I'd be surprised if, going forward, he's this awesome LT and sucks at RT. In fact, I'm calling right now that if he's healthy, he starts the year at RT.

Edited by metzelaars_lives

Our Bills were not strapped for cash

They actually spent quite a bit in FA

And ended up so far signing more players than they have lost

However they allocated it to the other positions and or were able to find players willing to sign in Buffalo who play other positions

And the focused on players who were currently depth back ups not established starters

Dimarco being the exception

Just saying

jc

This idea that CK can play LT but can't play RT is a bit overblown I feel like. Maybe he just happened to finally develop as a football player while playing LT. I'd be surprised if, going forward, he's this awesome LT and sucks at RT. In fact, I'm calling right now that if he's healthy, he starts the year at RT.

His post leg is screwed up when he plays on the right because of his arthritic knee. That's been the opinion of many knowledgeable fans as well as former players.

Otherwise, why hasn't he beat out Mills?

The idea that Kujo magically woke up and could play both LT and RT sounds more far-fetched to me.

Groy at RT? I know Groy played well at center down the stretch but did anyone watch him play guard in the pre season? I was surprised he made the roster honestly. He is a monster that can hide at center but at guard and especially tackle he would be exposed. I like him as a backup center and swing guard but nothing more. Go to the tape before you pencil him in at RT.

If Kuanjo at LT is the best combo then go for it.

Kujo isn't nearly good at LT as Glenn. So the Bills would be putting the much better player at a less important position and replacing him with a guy who broke his hip when he tipped over.

Makes little sense.

This is where I am WEO. I'm old school, I want my best tackle on the left side. I accept that Kujo and Glenn might be an overall upgrade to the line but it is definitely a downgrade at left tackle. I am open to them having a look at it in pre-season but my preference remains to find an upgrade at RT and leave Glenn well alone.

Groy at RT? I know Groy played well at center down the stretch but did anyone watch him play guard in the pre season? I was surprised he made the roster honestly. He is a monster that can hide at center but at guard and especially tackle he would be exposed. I like him as a backup center and swing guard but nothing more. Go to the tape before you pencil him in at RT.

If Kuanjo at LT is the best combo then go for it.

Yeah I remember him in preseason and couldn't believe he made the team. I was sure Patrick Lewis would replace Wood. Groy was a pleasant surprise for sure.

Edited by Teeflebees